New Apple Watch Series 3 -- Incoming!

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Well.. Some of you may know me .. some may not. I am mainly an Android guy but I do not hate others (like Apple) and will often suggest their products for many others. That said my gf who I got on the Apple train (iPhone 7 Plus / iPad Air 2) finally decided to get a real smartwatch as per my suggestion...

An Apple Watch Series 3! She even went with cellular (that was her choice on that) since she likes the idea of not having to have the phone right by her and being able to do whatever but still take calls.

SO... My point in making this thread was to ask if anyone had any tips/tricks for Apple Watch? I know iOS products (iPhones/iPads) from using them myself but as for a Smartwatch (any) I am dumb.

Any tips would be appreciated! :).

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Grats on the purchase.

Cases are a personal choice. I have a couple for my s3 but wear it without it most of the time.

Go ahead and sign up for Apple Heart Health study and get a couple apps to monitor sleep, then before bed put the watch in DND and theater mode to track sleep. You'll be amazed at what you discover.

And it's waterproof so go swimming and exercise.

Enjoy.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I’m so glad for you! The one thing I did that I wish I hadn’t was allowing all my watch-compatible apps to be automatically loaded onto the watch during setup. It would have been much better to add them manually through the watch app on your phone after the initial setup!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
In regard to tips, I would suggest that your gf to

1. Go through each and every setting within both the Watch app and the Watch settings.
  2. Don’t install every app that’s on her iPhone onto the Watch.
  3. Figure out which notifications do not need to be popping up on the Watch.
  4. If she also has a newer model Mac, select the option to allow the Auto Unlock option to have the Watch unlock the Mac.
  5. Put some music on the Watch for workouts, if she is into fitness.

Last edited:

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the tips so far everyone! :)

Do you guys think the 50 bucks for Apple Care is worth? We can also add it on when she gets it right? She bought it from Kohl's so once we get it I'll set it up on Verizon then I may want to look into adding that.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I think so. Mo d you, I didn’t get it because my husband doesn’t believe in “extended warranties” but $50 isn’t that much more!

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site

Do you guys think the 50 bucks for Apple Care is worth? We can also add it on when she gets it right? She bought it from Kohl's so once we get it I'll set it up on Verizon then I may want to look into adding that.

If I remember right Apple only gives you 30 days from the purchase to buy AppleCare+. I did not need it for my first gen Apple Watch so I didn’t buy it for my Series 3. I am constantly banging my hands and wrists against things for work and my Apple Watch has always survived.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
As far as tips go, depending on how much wrist movement you have throughout the day, you may want to consider changing the watch orientation to have the crown toward the forearm rather than the hand.

Unlike many others here I just let all my apps add to my Apple Watch, they take up almost no space, but if you don’t then it really just depends on what you want to do with the watch.

There are a few Watch faces that allow you to use your own photos, but they don’t have very many complications on them, however, it’s something to consider.

If fitness is a goal at all, the built-in fitness app has a number of different pre-installed workouts/workout types.

I’ll see if I can think of anything really useful. I just tend to use mine for notifications, Activity, and Pokemon Go.

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Roger that.
If I remember right Apple only gives you 30 days from the purchase to buy AppleCare+. I did not need it for my first gen Apple Watch so I didn’t buy it for my Series 3. I am constantly banging my hands and wrists against things for work and my Apple Watch has always survived.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
I would go through the iPhone app for the  Watch and edit the quick replies for Messages to replies she might actually use. Also play around with Force Touch. There are nifty things she can do depending on the screen she's on. Clear all notifications, quickly Customize complications, stuff like that.

I meant to go back and add it to mine, but forgot honestly. I luckily haven't needed it yet, and I've banged mine around pretty hard at times.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

I suppose so. I mean, that is a judgement call you're going to have to make. I don't have Apple Care Plus for my Watch, but it's not as expensive or as important to me than my iPhones or my MacBook Pro.

popkurn611

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site
My only main gripe about the AW is that when you’re wearing it and it’s connected to your iPhone all incoming notifications are silenced on the iPhone. The screen doesn’t turn on and no sound, just the ding noise in the watch or the haptic vibrate (which isn’t strong enough). I end up missing lots of notifications. Apparently this was designed so the iPhone can conserve its battery but I wish Apple let that be a setting you can turn on or off.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
My only main gripe about the AW is that when you’re wearing it and it’s connected to your iPhone all incoming notifications are silenced on the iPhone. The screen doesn’t turn on and no sound, just the ding noise in the watch or the haptic vibrate (which isn’t strong enough). I end up missing lots of notifications. Apparently this was designed so the iPhone can conserve its battery but I wish Apple let that be a setting you can turn on or off.
The notification sound and haptic feedback is definitely strong enough for me, and I depend on my Watch a great deal, especially while at work in which my iPhone stays mostly at my desk. With that in mind, have you enabled the "prominent haptic" toggle within the settings on the Watch?

popkurn611

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site
The notification sound and haptic feedback is definitely strong enough for me, and I depend on my Watch a great deal, especially while at work in which my iPhone stays mostly at my desk. With that in mind, have you enabled the "prominent haptic" toggle within the settings on the Watch?

What does the prominent haptic setting do? I just want my iPhone screen to turn on and alert me simultaneously just in case I don’t feel the Apple Watch on my wrist. The ding sound on the watch annoys me so I don’t use it, wish I can change that sound

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
What does the prominent haptic setting do? I just want my iPhone screen to turn on and alert me simultaneously just in case I don’t feel the Apple Watch on my wrist. The ding sound on the watch annoys me so I don’t use it, wish I can change that sound

The prominent haptic option makes the vibrations more noticeable when you get a notification via your Watch.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site

You can turn off notifications on the Apple Watch on an app by app basis, and then notifications will always go to the phone.

On the iPhone, Watch app, Notifications, turn off "Mirror iPhone Alerts From" for all of your apps. And I believe that you can do the same for the stock apps (e.g., tap Messages, tap "Custom", turn off alerts, sound, and haptics.)

popkurn611

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site
You can turn off notifications on the Apple Watch on an app by app basis, and then notifications will always go to the phone.

On the iPhone, Watch app, Notifications, turn off "Mirror iPhone Alerts From" for all of your apps. And I believe that you can do the same for the stock apps (e.g., tap Messages, tap "Custom", turn off alerts, sound, and haptics.)

Well I want to be able to see the messages and reply on my watch too. Basically I want notifications and alerts to come through on both which is not possible.

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
She got it.
a6e423abd8856928d841a96b49d4949e.jpg

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member