Battery drain overnight on AW3

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
For those of you who wear your AW to sleep overnight .... how much does your battery drain overnight? I usually charge mine to full before bed and until the past few weeks, it has averaged about a 5-6% drop overnight (I usually sleep 6 hours). The last few weeks, though, it has dropped 10-12%. I haven’t installed anything new .... and my sleep patterns have been the same. Just wondering what everyone else experiences. I’m wearing the 38mm nike plus cellular.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
For those of you who wear your AW to sleep overnight .... how much does your battery drain overnight? I usually charge mine to full before bed and until the past few weeks, it has averaged about a 5-6% drop overnight (I usually sleep 6 hours). The last few weeks, though, it has dropped 10-12%. I haven’t installed anything new .... and my sleep patterns have been the same. Just wondering what everyone else experiences. I’m wearing the 38mm nike plus cellular.

I charge mine to 100% around 8pm and 2-3 hours later go to bed with my watch on my wrist.
I enable DND and Theatre Mode so that it won’t wake me up with notifications and lose about 2 to 5% charge overnight.
In other words, with about 6 hours of sleeping with DnD and Theatre Mode and 2 - 3 hours of sitting idly by on my wrist, I wake up to 94-95% battery on my AW3 (non-LTE).

What you’re experiencing seems unnatural to me. Shut off your Watch completely and restart it again to see if it solves your battery drain issue.

eyecrispy

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I charge mine to 100% around 8pm and 2-3 hours later go to bed with my watch on my wrist.
I enable DND and Theatre Mode so that it won’t wake me up with notifications and lose about 2 to 5% charge overnight.
In other words, with about 6 hours of sleeping with DnD and Theatre Mode and 2 - 3 hours of sitting idly by on my wrist, I wake up to 94-95% battery on my AW3 (non-LTE).

What you’re experiencing seems unnatural to me. Shut off your Watch completely and restart it again to see if it solves your battery drain issue.

Yea I’ve restarted a few times. It’ll get better for a few days and then start again.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Yea I’ve restarted a few times. It’ll get better for a few days and then start again.

Do you per chance have any sleep tracking apps running on the watch? If so, which one?

I’m using AutoSleep and although it’s installed on my watch, it doesn’t really run. The app on my iPhone simply reads out the heart rate and movement of the watch during my sleep.

eyecrispy

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Do you per chance have any sleep tracking apps running on the watch? If so, which one?

I’m using AutoSleep and although it’s installed on my watch, it doesn’t really run. The app on my iPhone simply reads out the heart rate and movement of the watch during my sleep.

Yea. AutoSleep. But it has been on my watch and phone for a long time.

salscott

Mar 4, 2009
Visit site
I have the same setup, autosleep and DND/theatre mode and 10%-12% is the average loss overnight. I typically put it on the charger for a few minutes before bed and a few minutes in the AM- no biggy. I think you and others are the ones to put me on autosleep- it's brilliant

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
It's hard to say for me, because I usually put the watch on with different % remaining. I'll pay attention the ext couple of nights. But I have a 42mm S2, so I'm not sure how useful it will be to compare.

I do think my comparison will be a little useful anyway, because I rarely go to sleep with 100%. I've long noticed that the watch reports the battery at 100% after a full charge for a lot longer than it does any single percentage as it drains. (In other words, I've notice that the watch will stay at 100% for a couple of hours, then, once it hits 99, it will drop a couple to a few percentage points per hour.)

I'll let you know in a couple of days...

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
On a typical weekday, I have my watch off the charger around 7am when I me Ave for work. By the end of the work day I usually have around 60-ish percent left. When I go to bed, usually around 11pm, I enable DND and theater mode on my watch and go to bed. At most it drops another 5-8%. When my alarm goes off at 6am, I disable DND and theater mode and put the watch on the charger. It's usually at 100% when I leave at 7am.

Rinse and repeat for the following weekdays.

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I wear mine at night and I am still losing about 5% overnight and that is on the beta firmware. I find that when my battery drops more all I need to do is a hard reboot to clear out what ever app was running to fix the drain.

eyecrispy

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I was at 100% when I went to bed last night. When I got up a few minutes ago, it was at 95%. 10 min later, 93%. Weird.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I was at 100% when I went to bed last night. When I got up a few minutes ago, it was at 95%. 10 min later, 93%. Weird.

If you are worried about this kind of drain, don’t overthink it and just unpair and re-pair your watch to your iPhone.
Unlike restoring iPhone’s, restoring an Apple Watch is much easier, you won’t lose any data, just the time it takes for the Watch to restore from the latest backup. Which is about 45-60 minutes, tops.

I remember restoring my watch 3 times on night because a beta caused issues with the connection to my iPhone.

eyecrispy

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
If you are worried about this kind of drain, don’t overthink it and just unpair and re-pair your watch to your iPhone.
Unlike restoring iPhone’s, restoring an Apple Watch is much easier, you won’t lose any data, just the time it takes for the Watch to restore from the latest backup. Which is about 45-60 minutes, tops.

I remember restoring my watch 3 times on night because a beta caused issues with the connection to my iPhone.

I know. I’ve done it a thousand times. I was just wondering what y’all’s experience has been. It was not the norm I’ve been experiencing so thought I’d ask.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
It seems to me lately that both my AW and iPhone are getting worse battery life lately. May just be that I'm using them more.

eyecrispy

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
It seems to me lately that both my AW and iPhone are getting worse battery life lately. May just be that I'm using them more.

I wondered if it was that initially but I’m not using my AW while sleeping. The battery drain during my awake hours is normal. It’s just night time drain that is baffling.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Sleep tracking

Ok, I was confused, because she said she doesn't use it while she's sleeping, but sleep tracking is using it.

Went to bed at 86%, woke up 83%. So, my 42mm S2 about 17 months old burns about 3% per night. Also, I do have the watch and iPhone in Do Not Disturb, and almost always turn on theater mode when I go to sleep. I use AutoSleep for sleep tracking (which just uses normal heart rate and movement data captured by the Health app on the iPhone, so shouldn't drain any more than when not asleep); I'm not sure if another app for sleep tracking uses more battery.