Just Upgraded

anon(10000748)

Aug 20, 2016
Visit site
Honestly regarding the subscription fee I already forgot my phone today and used my Apple Watch to take a few work calls. That $10 already paid for itself!

djrakowski

Trusted Member
Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
If that is indeed what’s being referred to, he or she is not obligated to activate cellular data on the Series 3 Watch.

yes, I was referring to mobile service. Why would I bother with a cellular-enabled Watch without activating cellular service? That's the only reason I would consider upgrading and I don't think I'd use that feature enough to justify the additional cost right now.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
yes, I was referring to mobile service. Why would I bother with a cellular-enabled Watch without activating cellular service? That's the only reason I would consider upgrading and I don't think I'd use that feature enough to justify the additional cost right now.

I don’t know about you, but I initially purchased the Series 3 cellular model Watch because I wanted the watch face that only comes with that particular model. I had the watch for months before finally enabling the cellular option, and I’m glad I did. In fact, I thank the iMore faithful for convincing me to do it. While at work, I typically leave my iPhone X at my desk because a good portion of my day is spent on conference calls or in meetings. There have been times when I’ve exited the office after a meeting to go grab something to eat or a Starbuck’s coffee or something and forgot to grab my iPhone. Thankfully, having my Series 3 Watch with me allowed me to not miss any calls during those times. Still, I understand that everyone isn’t like me....

johnmoore13

Dec 15, 2014
Visit site
Just got my S3 42mm lte in space gray! As a truck driver I don’t carry my X everywhere. I was inside a shipper and answered a call on my watch, everyone there was impressed!
69a6278a45a9155747660b607e55d045.jpg

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
I don’t know about you, but I initially purchased the Series 3 cellular model Watch because I wanted the watch face that only comes with that particular model. I had the watch for months before finally enabling the cellular option, and I’m glad I did. In fact, I thank the iMore faithful for convincing me to do it. While at work, I typically leave my iPhone X at my desk because a good portion of my day is spent on conference calls or in meetings. There have been times when I’ve exited the office after a meeting to go grab something to eat or a Starbuck’s coffee or something and forgot to grab my iPhone. Thankfully, having my Series 3 Watch with me allowed me to not miss any calls during those times. Still, I understand that everyone isn’t like me....

D, How does getting the calls work? I would imagine the watch has it's own phone number. Does the Apple device integration allow you to see your phone's number and answer calls etc? Or is there forwarding involved? You ARE making this sound appealing!

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
D, How does getting the calls work? I would imagine the watch has it's own phone number. Does the Apple device integration allow you to see your phone's number and answer calls etc? Or is there forwarding involved? You ARE making this sound appealing!

I'm on TMo, and it seems to use their Digits service to use my phone's number. Technically according to my bill my AW does have its own number, but isn't used. Not sure how it's done on other carriers though.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
I'm on TMo, and it seems to use their Digits service to use my phone's number. Technically according to my bill my AW does have its own number, but isn't used. Not sure how it's done on other carriers though.

Ok that makes sense. :) It's 10 per month extra? I'm on T-Mobile too. :)

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
Ok that makes sense. :) It's 10 per month extra? I'm on T-Mobile too. :)

It’s actually 15/month with a $5 discount if you’re on autopay. Since I was already on autopay to get $5 off my iPhone plan I don’t get the additional $5 off for having the watch plan on autopay. Their advertising it as $10/month is misleading. Or at least I think it is.

RECON1

May 12, 2012
Visit site
It’s actually 15/month with a $5 discount if you’re on autopay. Since I was already on autopay to get $5 off my iPhone plan I don’t get the additional $5 off for having the watch plan on autopay. Their advertising it as $10/month is misleading. Or at least I think it is.

I think $10/15 is to much for the amount of data the watch uses. It should be like $5.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
I think $10/15 is to much for the amount of data the watch uses. It should be like $5.

$5 would be a really good price. $10 is ok, but $15 makes me wonder if it’s truly worth it. When I’ve needed it it was great to have, but there’s only been maybe 3 times that I truly needed to have a separate plan for the watch. Most of the time I have my phone with me.

RECON1

May 12, 2012
Visit site
$5 would be a really good price. $10 is ok, but $15 makes me wonder if it’s truly worth it. When I’ve needed it it was great to have, but there’s only been maybe 3 times that I truly needed to have a separate plan for the watch. Most of the time I have my phone with me.

Exactly. I think even people who go on workouts/runs etc. will only stream music for up to 2 hours? I doubt that uses much data. I can understand iPad lines costing what they do, but not the watch.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
Exactly. I think even people who go on workouts/runs etc. will only stream music for up to 2 hours? I doubt that uses much data. I can understand iPad lines costing what they do, but not the watch.

Honestly if I had BT headphones I definitely think it’d be worth it for exercising. Especially if Apple would release a the Podcasts App for Watch OS. I can’t believe they haven’t yet, but that’s a different convo for a different thread.

steveh552

Trusted Member
Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
I bought a series 3 GPS/Cellular to replace my Samsung Gear S2, which had limited use with an iPhone. I had the line on my Gear S2 and never used it, yet I went ahead and added the subscription to my Apple Watch just in case I forget my phone which I do not think has ever happened. I also bought my now ex gf a Series 3 and she refused to add the cellular to hers until she left her phone at home for the 4-5th time, finally she has added it. Dont know if she ever used it but its there.

gmabev

Jun 4, 2015
Visit site
I'm gonna rock my S0 till it burns out! Maybe I'll get an S4 next year, BUT the one I have now is going strong. lol

I just upgraded last week. Had S0 from day 1. Was having battery issues and touch response issues. Wanted to trade in while I could still get money for it. Got the 38mm stainless steel version like 1st one. So far I’m loving it. Especially battery life. Haven’t activated data plan yet and not sure I will.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Also on Tmobile. My AW does have a separate number, but if you call it you get a "not in use" message. So when someone calls my phone, the digits forward that call to my watch and I see the contact info on my watch face.

And mine is $10/mo as I'm on auto pay.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW