Step counting apps. Why?

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
I noticed in another thread many of you use apps to count your steps. Is it because they are more accurate than the step counting in Apple's Activity App, for more in depth info, or another reason? Just curious.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I use Stepz, because it works well with Apple's health app, and I really like the app's format. It's also on my Watch, which may be overkill, but I'm keeping it for now because I'm used to it!

I tend to be a little OCD, and this has really motivated me to get out there and walk! :D

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I can see why people would want to use a step counting app, especially if coming from a Fitbit, but I don’t use one myself. I know I walk most of the day and a 2-3 mile day is a slow day.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I don’t use a separate app. Just the native counter. I used to use Fitbit and Apple Watch but that became too annoying to manage. I do miss the social aspects of Fitbit though.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
At one point I used runtastic as my pedometer, but since the Apple Watch came out and Apple has put more work into the Health and Activity apps I find it better to stick with Apple.

I don't have any evidence either way, but I wonder if step counting apps have a negative effect on battery life?

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Well, you can always "Hey Siri, how many steps have I walked" and it will bring you to the total in the Activity app on the watch without installing a third party app. (I know that a lot of people like to have a complication for this, though.)

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
Well, you can always "Hey Siri, how many steps have I walked" and it will bring you to the total in the Activity app on the watch without installing a third party app. (I know that a lot of people like to have a complication for this, though.)

You know I never really thought about asking Siri for my step count. I usually just tap on my activity rings and scroll down. Thanks!

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
I don't do step counts, but I can see that they might be more consistent than the exercise app for Walk Workouts, and have more appeal.

I've seen many complaints about people 'exercising and not getting the credit they believe they deserver. I think pilot error in understanding Apple's implementation is the biggest part of the discrepancy.

Whether Apple's step counting is more or less accurate than any third-party app (which probably uses Apple data anyway) or competing device, step counting is probably more consistent than exercise minutes.

Anyway you cut it, any activity measuring metric that encourages us to be more active is good.

Now pass me another macaroon!

steveh552

Trusted Member
Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
At one point I used runtastic as my pedometer, but since the Apple Watch came out and Apple has put more work into the Health and Activity apps I find it better to stick with Apple.

I don't have any evidence either way, but I wonder if step counting apps have a negative effect on battery life?

I use runtastic to track my walks. Mainly I use to map the walk but also I like the idea of having my hikes/walks to be tracked separate from just daily walking. On top that I use my hands to make a living and well, I sometimes hit 10k steps before I have walked a mile do to hand movement.

iphone fan

Sep 23, 2016
Visit site
I feel like a lot of people probably use the iPhone step counter in the Fitbit app just for the competition between friends and you don't need to buy an actual Fitbit.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
I use runtastic to track my walks. Mainly I use to map the walk but also I like the idea of having my hikes/walks to be tracked separate from just daily walking. On top that I use my hands to make a living and well, I sometimes hit 10k steps before I have walked a mile do to hand movement.

That makes complete sense!

pkguy323

Feb 25, 2018
Visit site
I use StepsApp so I can have a complication show my Activity steps on the activity watchface. Coming from Fitbit I still want to see my steps even though my main focus is closing the rings… I still do step challenges with my fitbit friends

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR