International Women's Day Challenge

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
Apple has issued a new Challenge for March 8, 2018, International Women's Day.

apple-watch-mothers-day-activity-challenge-sticker.png

The challenge— double your Move ring. Reach 200% of your Move/Calorie goal and earn this nifty Achievement and some animated iMessage stickers.

I'll need to start a little earlier, but it's doable. I don't know if this includes inactive calories as well as active, so keep an eye on your progress.

I really like these little incentives!

https://www.imore.com/best-way-to-complete-apple-watch-activity-exercise-challenges

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I'm trying to get my head around how doubling your move challenge has anything to do with celebrating the accomplishments of women in the world.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
doogald said:
I'm trying to get my head around how doubling your move challenge has anything to do with celebrating the accomplishments of women in the world.

Why do marches have anything to do with promoting research for a cure for various diseases? Or any cause for that matter? What do any of the challenges have to do with any of the events they support?

What did you do instead?

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Why do marches have anything to do with promoting research for a cure for various diseases? Or any cause for that matter?

Things like the bucket challenge for ALS and breast cancer marches have raised tons of money toward research and hopefully curing diseases, and brought lots of attention to these causes. But there were International Women's Day marches in various cities around the world that were in the newspaper in Friday, and on TV news on Thursday international women's day was mentioned (though not the Apple activity challenge), and the NY Times even started righting a long-time wrong by posting obituaries of famous women in the history of the Times that were overlooked when they died. Not even Apple posted any results of how many people ended up doubling their move ring on IWD, though the challenge itself was mentioned as an aside in one story I read about other efforts Apple had for IWD on Thursday (in the App Store, iTunes Store, etc.). I don't think that anybody doubling their move ring did much of anything for International Women's Day, though maybe I'm wrong.

What do any of the challenges have to do with any of the events they support?
That's a great question in many cases so far, though February is heart month and New Year's is a traditional time for people to resolve to be more fit, so closing rings and doing activities for seven days in those months at least makes some logical sense. I don't see what specifically exercising double a stretch goal on a non-weekend day for many people has to do in particular with women and trying to celebrate their achievements and help achieve gender parity, though - a cause I have supported for as long as I can remember.

What did you do instead?
It would take about a 10 mile run for me to double my move ring. That's tough for a lot of people on a work day/school day with only a couple of days to prepare for it. I have a running plan and Thursday was a planned easy day, so it could potentially have been swapped for a long run on Saturday, but instead I woke to a foot and a half of snow and spent three hours clearing that with the snow thrower and shovel, clearing cars, etc., then had a planned drive for a long weekend 4 hours away booked far longer ago than Apple announced this challenge. Clearing snow closed my move and exercise rings, but there was no time to double, and I have a calf injury anyway so I have to take it easy for a bit (which clearing snow didn't help but, alas, had to be done.)

So, I closed my move ring unexpectedly, but not doubled. As I said, I did pay attention to a lot of news coverage about IWD in the media.

I see that you earned yours; what did you do?

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
You're doing apples to oranges.

doogald said:

Again, what does an activity have to do with the cause it supports? Why must it have anything to do with celebrating any accomplishment, other than just being a random activity celebrating or calling attention to an accomplishment. Raising money via marches and bucket challenges is not the issue. That they raise money isn't the question. Like marches or bucket challenges.

In that vein, Apple, merely by offering an achievement badge, with the purpose to incentivize physical activity and promote health, called attention to the fact that there is an International Women's Day— something some people may not even be aware of.

So Apple should have had some activity that met your approval for celebrating IWD? What a load of crap. It seems like Apple will have a difficult time living up to your standards of helping mankind.

doogald said:
I don't see what specifically exercising double a stretch goal on a non-weekend day for many people has to do in particular with women and trying to celebrate their achievements and help achieve gender parity, though - a cause I have supported for as long as I can remember.

And there it is. You're 'fighting the good fight' and Apple isn't because they didn't say or do anything about IWD but offer an incentive in their name to promote individual physical health. I assume you'll be in for similar disappointments as Apple continues in their offerings.

On the other hand, I say there doesn't have to be anything more than whatever physical activity Apple chooses as a challenge to associate with an event.

doogald said:
As I said, I did pay attention to a lot of news coverage about IWD in the media.

Good for you, I suppose. I don't know how many other people did likewise after seeing the IWD Challenge on Apple-centric sites, on their phones and/or Watches. That does not concern me.

doogald said:
I see that you earned yours; what did you do?

I met up with some other vets and we ultimately did a 7+ mile walk. All of us carry some degree of memento that prevents long distance walks where time is (and was) a consideration. Later I happened on to some interesting articles about three women motorcyclists who (separately) traveled across the US and/or around the world. The operative word being 'happened'.

As an aside, I was pleased to see Apple offering the Veteran's Day Challenge, even though the required activity didn't really appear related Veteran's Day itself. I may have mentioned then that some vets couldn't meet that challenge even though it wasn't all that difficult, 'difficult' being relative.

I could be disturbed that Apple hasn't done more for vets. Yet, I'm not.