Apple Watch 3 Ceramic or Stainless

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
Hey everyone, I recently picked up a used version 2 Black Stainless and I am loving the watch so far. But, being a former watch junkie and I wore a Rolex for over 30 years, I wondering about the Ceramic version 3 Apple Watch?

Anyone out there have one that might be able to share some feedback about the Ceramic version? I am curious about the finish, durability and value? It’s not that I don’t like my Stainless V2, but the Ceramic version caught my eye.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I haven’t had a chance to see a ceramic version in person. However, my only concern with going with a ceramic, or even the stainless, is cost to life ratio. The ceramic is going to be greatly durable and resistant to most scratches. The question is whether or not the cost for that is enough for you. How many years are you going to keep the watch? Even for me, $350-$400 for the aluminum is pricey for 2 to 3 or 4 years of usage before I upgrade again. If you can justify the cost of the ceramic to an upgrade cycle for your watch, then I would say go with it.

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the input, I am liking the Stainless version 2 I just bought and will probably wait and if one pops up down the road for a great price, I will give it some thought. I do like the technology the Apple Watch offers.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
I've got the Stainless Series 3, and I love it! I really like the look of the white Ceramic, but haven't seen the grey yet. If money were no option I'd pick up a Ceramic one, but I don't really see a benefit for the high cost.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
I haven’t had a chance to see a ceramic version in person. However, my only concern with going with a ceramic, or even the stainless, is cost to life ratio. The ceramic is going to be greatly durable and resistant to most scratches. The question is whether or not the cost for that is enough for you. How many years are you going to keep the watch? Even for me, $350-$400 for the aluminum is pricey for 2 to 3 or 4 years of usage before I upgrade again. If you can justify the cost of the ceramic to an upgrade cycle for your watch, then I would say go with it.

The same argument could me made that people spend $800-$1000 for a new iPhone that they upgrade in 2-ish years. :)

I bought the original AW, sport model aluminum, when it launched and just last week gave it to my son since I got new series 3's for my wife and myself. My original watch looked just as good as the day I bought it when I gave it to my son, and I wore it for a long time with no case or screen protector. I personally don't see a value in the stainless or ceramic when the aluminum works just fine.

Just my $.02.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I think you can’t go wrong with either choice. I find the SS to be more versatile, I can wear it casually, to work or to formal events.

RobertP1

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2016
Visit site
I have to say that I am absolutely loving my AW3 with LTE.. At first I heard all the negatives about the LTE and how most people never use it and how it kills the battery and the additional $10 a month... But I am finding it very useful and totally worth the $10..

Last Sunday, I was spending the day with my wife and wanted to totally focus on the time spent with her and decided to leave my phone home. We went out for the day and I got a couple of quick calls and a few texts and it was liberating to be free of my phone for a few hours while maintaining contact with the rest of the world.

The Watch may be my favorite Apple product ever.. and that is saying a lot!!

RobertP1

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2016
Visit site

I agree 1000%.. It is strictly a matter of cost to life... If that works for you, then I would not hesitate.

edswife1970

Oct 23, 2015
Visit site
Hey everyone, I recently picked up a used version 2 Black Stainless and I am loving the watch so far. But, being a former watch junkie and I wore a Rolex for over 30 years, I wondering about the Ceramic version 3 Apple Watch?

Anyone out there have one that might be able to share some feedback about the Ceramic version? I am curious about the finish, durability and value? It’s not that I don’t like my Stainless V2, but the Ceramic version caught my eye.

I have the white ceramic Apple Watch Series 3 and I really like it. I debated for a long time about buying it because it is so expensive but it has a beautiful look. The finish seems to be very durable no scratches and nice and shiny. Other than the appearance, it’s pretty much the same as the other versions. If you live near an Apple store you really should go see one in person. That’s what I did.

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
I have the white ceramic Apple Watch Series 3 and I really like it. I debated for a long time about buying it because it is so expensive but it has a beautiful look. The finish seems to be very durable no scratches and nice and shiny. Other than the appearance, it’s pretty much the same as the other versions. If you live near an Apple store you really should go see one in person. That’s what I did.

Thanks for your feedback and I am also on the fence about buying one. I seen a white one in person today and the person who was wearing it also said they like it.

Now it’s just finding a used one for a good price and just biting the bullet at the Apple store.