What do you NOT LIKE about Apple Watch?

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I’ve heard some people say they don’t see enough Apple criticism on iMore. So let’s jump into it then, I’d like to keep this an active thread if possible. I’ll post my own dislikes later, for now, what do you not like about the Apple Watch? Any of them.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I wish the screens were more scratch resistant (ie mineral glass) and that they did’t take forever to start up after a shutdown (I have heard the S3 is better in this regard).

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Not in any particular order; just as they come to me (some of this is hardware, some software):

1. That I can't set a default to have the watch get all notifications if it is unlocked. Even if I am actively using my phone, I want notification sounds to be done by only one device - my watch - when it is on my wrist.

2. I want the ability to add any notification tones on the phone to the watch. And I want the ability to customize tones and haptics by app to be the way that I want them.

3. The upgrade process needs vast improvement. I'm not sure how, but it needs to be improved.

4. Workouts should be more flexible/give more options (such as support for haptic feedback of running intervals - run 3:00/walk 1:00; sprint 400 meters/easy jog 100 meters; etc.). Workouts should sync with third party options such as Strava without a third party app. Workouts should be visible on the watch itself when they are complete. And there needs to be an option to turn off the dopey 3...2...1... countdown without tapping the watch. You should be able to do almost everything with the button(s) and the crown without having to tap or force-press the screen.

5. I don't like that the cellular version is not yet completely usable without a phone. Mail should be able to show html content. All messages should be visible. WiFi access points should be able to connected and added, even if they require a captive portal. (Which would require a web browser, but I'm fine with that being only available to services and apps, and definitely would not want a Safari app on the watch.) All apps should be able to access data over LTE/cellular, including music apps other than the stock app.

6. The next Apple Watch should figure out an optional (not default) way how to show the time always, not just with a tap or wrist raise. (I'm fine with existing models not supporting that feature.)

7. Any notification that comes to the watch should light the screen, no matter what. If I am carrying something and a notification comes, I want the watch to light up and show me the notification.

8. Not the most important issue, but I don't like that the the watch cannot be paired with an iPad. I know people who own iPads but not iPhones and might benefit from an Apple Watch.

9. For the benefit of outdoor workouts watch-only, the watch should show when there is a definitive GPS lock so you can wait to start the workout until location is connected.

10. I'd don't like that the calendar shows only the next week of events.

11. I don't like most of the watch faces, and would like to see more high-quality versions without the Disney tie-in.

12. I want the control center to be customizable - allow me to remove icons I don't want, and re-position the ones I use most often, or learn the ones that I use and move them toward the top.

13. I don't like the off-center Digital Crown, and that there is only one hardware button. I think that a second hardware button should be added, putting the crown in the middle, and allowing the two buttons to be used in the workout app for start/stop/lap etc., and allow for a hardware button press in other apps don't access the dock or bring you back to the watch face.

14. The sales process: watches should be a la carte, so you can buy without a band if you already have some, and allow you to buy a watch with the band of your choice.

I agree with @tadpoles about scratch resistant crystals. The should all be sapphire.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I wish the screens were more scratch resistant (ie mineral glass) and that they did’t take forever to start up after a shutdown (I have heard the S3 is better in this regard).

The SS model has a different glass than sport model and is very strong against scratches. So the option is there.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I just bought a series 3 Nike+ today to see if I disliked it: the answer is no 🤣

All jokes aside: all my dislikes came down to the series 0 being slow and terrible battery life. With my new Series 3 that’s not the case anymore for me.

calebt

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Just not my style, square Chucky bar looking . Plus it feels too fragile to me.

Last edited:

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Customization, specifically if I set up a custom notification sound or ring tone on my iPhone I love for the same tones to play on my watch.

More watch face choices.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
I just bought a series 3 Nike+ today to see if I disliked it: the answer is no ??????

All jokes aside: all my dislikes came down to the series 0 being slow and terrible battery life. With my new Series 3 that’s not the case anymore for me.

I'm still rocking the 0 model but all I'm really using it for is notifications.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
The only thing I "dislike" about my Watch is that it takes too long to update the firmware on it.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I wish Apple would change the form factor, maybe I’m alone in this, but I would enjoy a curved body and screen. This should be doable with OLED. A form factor that wraps around your wrist more than sits on top of it. For that to work, it would also need the heart rate monitor to sit flush with the body, another thing I dislike. I would greatly like to fully customize any watch face with however many complications I want and change the size of them to fit what I want on every watch face. More watch faces would be nice too. I dislike how much Apple charges for their watch bands considering they are some of the best watch bands you can get for the Apple Watch. $50 for some rubber or nylon is ludicrous.

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
I actually like the Apple Watch. Love the form factor and look. What I'm not a fan of is the health/training/workout apps. My Apple Watch was the first smart watch I used for tracking my activities. I noticed discrepancies in what I was doing and what the watch was telling me. I started to search around for a more accurate watch. Well after a lot of research I decided to go with the Garmin Fenix 5s. Well it was night and day. First the apps provided by Garmin are hands down superior to Apples in every way.

When I started using the Fenix 5s the reading in my fitness and nutritional plan were darn near dead accurate. Not only that but Garmin supplied apps to track virtually anything I could do activity wise at the gym and outside the gym. The apps and accuracy make the Garmin an obvious choice for those who are serious about their training regimen. Same with nutrition.

I paid $800 for my Apple Watch and paid $1100 for my Garmin. My Apple Watch has been sitting in the box since. Please don't get me wrong I love the apple watch as I do miss the ability to respond to messages. I am going back to the Apple Watch soon as I now have my training and nutrition exactly where I need it after 6 months with my Garmin. I will be getting the Grey Apple Ceramic Watch. Just hope that Apple with all it's brilliant staff can finally come up with better apps and accuracy somewhere down the road.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

That's probably the sport, which does scratch easier than the stainless steel (which is more likely to shatter than scratch). I have the original watch and no scratches and never been shattered.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I wish Apple would change the form factor, maybe I’m alone in this, but I would enjoy a curved body and screen. This should be doable with OLED. A form factor that wraps around your wrist more than sits on top of it. For that to work, it would also need the heart rate monitor to sit flush with the body, another thing I dislike. I would greatly like to fully customize any watch face with however many complications I want and change the size of them to fit what I want on every watch face. More watch faces would be nice too. I dislike how much Apple charges for their watch bands considering they are some of the best watch bands you can get for the Apple Watch. $50 for some rubber or nylon is ludicrous.

Sounds a lot like this
cdd232f36cd239c68aa8da3d527ba86c.jpg

I had one one and it was indeed a nice watch. Had cellular service and all. I gave it away after I switched over to the iPhone full time.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
I think my biggest gripe is one others have mentioned. If I have sound on I want the notification sounds from my iPhone to transfer over so that I know what's coming in without looking.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I wish Apple would change the form factor, maybe I’m alone in this, but I would enjoy a curved body and screen.

I agree with you that a slightly curved form factor with a back that was more flush would be great. That would change the band connection possibility, but I wonder if there would be an issue with getting an adequate amount of battery cells in a curved case design without adding some thickness?

So, I will add one more thing I dislike. The current one piece design eliminates repairability. If the case design were two pieces, held together by screws rather than glue with a bezel and gaskets for water resistance like traditional watches, with even a removable caseback like traditional watches, Apple would be able to repair watches more easily, and maybe even offer an upgrade service, where they would replace components like the battery, the "movement", the sensors, and the display for a cost when a new version is released? Perhaps they don't want to get into that business, but talk about the ultimate in "reduce, reuse, and recycle" - reusing the case - plus a bezel around the crystal/display (a physical piece - I am talking bezels in traditional watchmaking/jewelry terms, not dead space around a display as used in smartphone terminology) would protect the crystal more from scratching and fracture.

rangerdeyo

Trusted Member
Nov 24, 2016
Visit site
doogald covered most of my gripes very well :laughing:

Not in any particular order; just as they come to me (some of this is hardware, some software):

3. The upgrade process needs vast improvement. I'm not sure how, but it needs to be improved.

4. Workouts should be more flexible/give more options (such as support for haptic feedback of running intervals - run 3:00/walk 1:00; sprint 400 meters/easy jog 100 meters; etc.). Workouts should sync with third party options such as Strava without a third party app. Workouts should be visible on the watch itself when they are complete. And there needs to be an option to turn off the dopey 3...2...1... countdown without tapping the watch. You should be able to do almost everything with the button(s) and the crown without having to tap or force-press the screen.

6. The next Apple Watch should figure out an optional (not default) way how to show the time always, not just with a tap or wrist raise. (I'm fine with existing models not supporting that feature.)

9. For the benefit of outdoor workouts watch-only, the watch should show when there is a definitive GPS lock so you can wait to start the workout until location is connected.

11. I don't like most of the watch faces, and would like to see more high-quality versions without the Disney tie-in.

12. I want the control center to be customizable - allow me to remove icons I don't want, and re-position the ones I use most often, or learn the ones that I use and move them toward the top.

13. I don't like the off-center Digital Crown, and that there is only one hardware button. I think that a second hardware button should be added, putting the crown in the middle, and allowing the two buttons to be used in the workout app for start/stop/lap etc., and allow for a hardware button press in other apps don't access the dock or bring you back to the watch face.

14. The sales process: watches should be a la carte, so you can buy without a band if you already have some, and allow you to buy a watch with the band of your choice.

I agree with @tadpoles about scratch resistant crystals. The should all be sapphire.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh