Apple Watch Heart Study — anybody sign up?

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
:heart: __ :heart: __ :heart: __ :heart: __ :heart:

93 HRDC* in 14 days, with two days off for good behavior.

Wear your Watch and samples are taken, the number of which depend on your level of activity. Apple says if they see something abnormal they'll send you a notification to see a doctor. Hm.

I signed up because want Apple to make an app with an EKG readout! LOL! And I trust them not to send a death-pulse through the Watch to me just because I failed to give in to an update nag.

*Heart Rhythm Data Contributions

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
I'm averaging just over 5 data contributions per day. (110/20). It would be interesting to know the parameters for collecting data.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
The app says 'Depending how active you are...' Not much help there. I'd also like to know what metrics are used to calculate an Exercise Minute. Early on in my Outdoor Walks, I'd lose Exercise Minutes compare to elapsed time. I've progressed enough were I can pace myself (npi) and only occasionally lose a minute or two.

I'm 131/20 for 6.6. That's with skipping three workout days in December. I hope that's like 'The Force is strong in this one...' and not 'Uh oh... We better keep an eye on this guy. Keep a cart ready.'

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
136/20 today. i am curious as to what they're monitoring. But they might be giving away something they plan on using for their Heart Watch or whatever.

I want an EKG wave. It doesn't have to be mine. It could be something like an iTunes visualizer! I'm disappointed the Heart Study app only shows day in the study (seems pretty easy to do) and not the humber of samples.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
136/20 today. i am curious as to what they're monitoring. But they might be giving away something they plan on using for their Heart Watch or whatever.

They aren't saying specifically, but they are saying that they are monitoring heart rhythms to see if they can detect irregular heart rhythms, particularly AFib, from the AW sensor, and that you will be notified if they do detect an irregular rhythm. It's entirely possible that the AW sensors as they are designed cannot detect AFib; I am guessing that Stanford has a control group of people who have been diagnosed with AFib (or something) that they are using who are wearing the ePatch along with the AW always as a comparison so that they can compare to the data collected from those of us in the study with actual data collected by the ePatch. Again, they are not saying, but I would think a real medical study would have some sort of control group.

Stanford's FAQ (which IIRC they offered to read when you sign up): Frequently Asked Questions | Apple Heart Study | Stanford Medicine

Red_Phx82

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Downloaded app as soon as I read about it had to wait for my new watch to sign up now still waiting to get accepted