iOS betas and Apple Watch

wolfee48

Mar 9, 2016
Visit site
For those who utilize an Apple Watch and install iOS beta’s on their devices...

Are there any problems?

I install the public betas when available on my 6s and I am receiving my AW tomorrow. Just want to make sure I can still participate in the betas and keep my AW synced up without fail.

Thanks!

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
There is no Public Beta for Apple Watches.

Once installed you can not roll back and has to be shipped to Apple to restore previous OS.

Betas on the Dev side are OK but not advisable to install for most users.

You can still use the Apple Watch on iOS betas, up to a level. Example iOS 11 will work with Watch OS currently. But Once it goes up to iOS 12, etc the watch will not work or pair.

This happened to myself and others with transition from iOS 10 to iOS 11, updating the watch, then wanting to downgrade the phone OS. The watch would not work as it was already updated.

Let's keep it simple. Just use what Apple gives public users to use, but there is a risk with tinkering.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
You can still use the Apple Watch on iOS betas, up to a level. Example iOS 11 will work with Watch OS currently. But Once it goes up to iOS 12, etc the watch will not work or pair.

Are you sure about that? I ran iOS 11 public beta for weeks before the launch and it worked and paired fine with watchOS 3.

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
Either I typed it wrong or it's being read wrong.

If you load a beta on a watch, then downgrade the phone the watch will not work.

iPhone being higher will work on lower Watch OS's but not the other way around.

wolfee48

Mar 9, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the input.

Only seems logical that a higher phone OS will work with lower Watch OS.

Just wanted to make sure I didn’t need to downgrade my 6s from public beta to the latest release.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Either I typed it wrong or it's being read wrong.

If you load a beta on a watch, then downgrade the phone the watch will not work.

iPhone being higher will work on lower Watch OS's but not the other way around.

Got it, but since the question was about iOS betas and not watchOS betas, I didn't consider that in your reply. If the question is, "Will the watch continue to work fine with a stable watchOS release if you have the iOS beta installed on your iPhone", which I think it is, I cannot think of a way or an example that the answer is not "yes".

wolfee48

Mar 9, 2016
Visit site
Got it, but since the question was about iOS betas and not watchOS betas, I didn't consider that in your reply. If the question is, "Will the watch continue to work fine with a stable watchOS release if you have the iOS beta installed on your iPhone", which I think it is, I cannot think of a way or an example that the answer is not "yes".

You both answered my question. Stable AW OS with iOS beta installed on phone should present me no issues. I understand there is a not a public Beta AW OS. So I should be good to with the exception of brand new iOS’s for my iPhone. 11 Beta to 12 Beta might cause me a few expected hiccups and to take caution there and wait for a few updates before I jump on. But we have about 7 months for that.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711