Apple Watch 3 will not receive calls on cellular on AT&T

lcasta

Jun 13, 2017
Visit site
I received my Watch 3 on September 22 and, of November 15, still have not been able to receive calls on cellular with it. I have been in constant communications with both Apple and AT&T to resolve the problem; but nothing has happened. I have spent at least 30 hours (that's right: 30) with an Apple senior advisor in search of a solution. Basically, when someone calls me, the Watch gives no indication of the call; although if I search my missed calls on the Watch, the call shows up. Unfortunately, I only learn of the call after the fact. When it's coming in, I don't know about it. It will sometimes show calls if it's right next to the iPhone; and I can actually call out on cellular. I've reinstalled the software several times. I have done data dumps from the Watch that have been sent to Apple's engineers; but still no answer. And I can't get a reading on when this will be resolved. I asked for a new Watch; but Apple says it's not a hardware problem. Has anyone else had a similar problem? If so, has it been resolved and how? Thanks.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I don’t have a cellular Watch, but there are a few basics I want to make sure are enabled on your devices.

First, on your iPhone, under Settings > Phone, make sure “Calls on other Devices” is enabled.

Then, also on your iPhone, open the Watch app and go to My Watch > Settings > General > Apple ID and make sure you’re logged in to the same ID as on your iPhone.

Then also in the Watch app, open Settings > Phone and make sure everything is enabled under Mirror my iPhone.

Then, again in the Watch app, open Settings > Notifications > Phone and make sure everything is enabled.

Also, make sure that DnD is not active in any way.

lcasta

Jun 13, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for all the tips. Everything was as you suggested. The Watch still doesn't show incoming calls in cellular. As I said, sometimes it will show incoming calls when the phone is near the Watch or when the Watch is on the same wi-fi network as the phone; but ringing on cellular alone is the problem. I'd be interested in knowing if anyone with AT&T needed to have a separate line for the Watch? I have a different number for the Watch itself; but it doesn't ring the Watch. Supposedly, Numbersync will ring that number when someone calls my cellphone number. And, when I make calls from the Watch, my iPhone number shows up in callerID.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
Anything on your line that uses data requires a number assigned to it. It is for charges on the data. It will mirror with your phone. It isn’t a number used for making calls. I have the cellular watch as well. It has a number assigned but it is mirrored to my iphone so when I receive a call and I am wearing my watch it will ring as well and also should I leave my phone at home it will ring. My tablet has a number assigned to it as well because it also uses the data on my account. Anything data used needs to have a working number. The watch though is linked to your phone number so it works with your phone. If it isn’t working all the time, I would recommend going to your nearest Apple store or your carrier and have the watch looked at it. I think it is defective. Mine works perfectly

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
Your phone number is going to be the direct number that will show. Not the line number assigned to the watch.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Have you terminated on the ATT end and reestablished service to see if that helps? I have an AW on ATT and it’s working fine.

lcasta

Jun 13, 2017
Visit site
I’m glad to hear that AW is working for other ATT customers. I have talked to ATT engineers who tell me there is nothing wrong with the way the Watch is connected to its system. There seems to be some confusion on ATT’s part. Initially, they were charging me $40 a month for the Watch. It took three weeks and five representatives and a couple of supervisors before they finally decided it should only cost $10/month.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
Everything was as you suggested.

After spending 30hrs with Apple support and engineers, I'd imagine all the basics and then some, were covered.

It took three weeks and five representatives and a couple of supervisors before they finally decided it should only cost $10/month.

You'd think by now all that crap would have been sorted and you wouldn't have to explain the problem more than once.

'Oh, yeah, we see what did now, have it corrected in jif!' Apparently not.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro