Apple Watch and iPhone X

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
Question for those with an Apple Watch and an iPhone X:

Did you have any setup problems pertaining to the watch?

I missed the details but I saw some chatter on Twitter about the iPhone X setup not properly setting up the watch. I've got a couple of weeks before my X arrives, so I just want to know in advance if there are any special steps I need to be aware of.

TIA

dasupaman23

Jun 16, 2008
Visit site
The only issues I’ve had are some apps not working right. Finally had to unpair and reset my Apple Watch. I also set it up as new instead of using a backup. Seemed to help. All the apps I use are working fine

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

I missed the details but I saw some chatter on Twitter about the iPhone X setup not properly setting up the watch. I've got a couple of weeks before my X arrives, so I just want to know in advance if there are any special steps I need to be aware of.

TIA

Being that I set up my iPhone X as a new device, I knew I had to pair it with my Watch. Once it was paired, they’ve been in harmony ever since.

Snoweagle

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site

TIA

I've no issues whatsoever.

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
Being that I set up my iPhone X as a new device, I knew I had to pair it with my Watch. Once it was paired, they’ve been in harmony ever since.

Does that mean if you don't set up the X as a new device, then you don't have to separately pair the watch? Or do you have to pair the watch regardless?

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Does that mean if you don't set up the X as a new device, then you don't have to separately pair the watch? Or do you have to pair the watch regardless?

What’s supposed to happen is what is explained here: https://www.macobserver.com/tips/quick-tip/switching-apple-watch-to-a-new-iphone/

The issue for some people, as I understand it, is that the setup never offers to do the watch pairing and the watch doesn’t recognize the new phone after the setup. You’d then have to reset the watch and pair it using the watch app and restore a recent backup. But, again, from what I read, this is a rare occurrence. And it really doesn’t take that long to do whenever I’ve done this (which was a few times a few weeks ago when I was having issues with iTunes with my 6s and set up the phone from reset and restoring a backup.)

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

My apologies for just now seeing your questions. When you set up a device as new, you will have to pair your Watch with it which also means you have to reset your Watch.

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
What’s supposed to happen is what is explained here: https://www.macobserver.com/tips/quick-tip/switching-apple-watch-to-a-new-iphone/

The issue for some people, as I understand it, is that the setup never offers to do the watch pairing and the watch doesn’t recognize the new phone after the setup. You’d then have to reset the watch and pair it using the watch app and restore a recent backup. But, again, from what I read, this is a rare occurrence. And it really doesn’t take that long to do whenever I’ve done this (which was a few times a few weeks ago when I was having issues with iTunes with my 6s and set up the phone from reset and restoring a backup.)

Thanks. This is the problem I saw mentioned on Twitter. Hopefully I won't have this problem.

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
My iPhone X was delivered November 16. Setup was a painful process. The first attempt stalled at the activation step and had to be cancelled and restarted. The second attempt seemed to work but I discovered after completion that it didn’t transfer any health data. After an erase, the third attempt was successful, sort of. During the setup, it did not ask to pair an Apple Watch. The only solution was to erase the watch and then pair it, a very slow process. It’s been two weeks now and I’m not happy. The phone is great but achievements on the watch take 2-4 days to show up on the phone. Currently the last date achievements are showing is last Monday. I suppose I could try re-pairing, but that’s such a pain.

zenjen

Oct 19, 2017
Visit site
I setup my new X around Thanksgiving. I had not seen any discussion of setup issues with the AW,. I setup as new, then setup again with iTunes backup. One reason I did so was my watch was not recognized. Don’t think I was asked about it during setup.

Needless to say, the process was botched and I lost my activity, which was the most active streak for me this year. Oh well.

Anyway, my suggestion is to follow the instructions of the above article diligently. I do think there are problems.

PS I had no issues with my AW0 and transition to iPhone 8+. These issues were with my transition to X with AW3. (I had moved to AW3 earlier when I still had the 8+.)

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
I don’t have the X but the 8+ and had no issues with it. I hope those with the X can get it figured out. A shame to have the watch and it not work with your phone. It should !

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner