October Challenge Acheivment.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
This appears to be a new challenge and maybe monthly. Of course then it won't be called the October Challenge.

This is different than the current monthly achievements of completing all daily rings. This requires a average period of Exercise minutes, and may be specific to each individual.

Ever since earlier OSs there's been talk of Apple incrementally raising the activity bar via one or more metric instead of just letting us plateau. I'm not crazy about that as it doesn't take into account individual limitations and impairments. This October Challenge may be a/that bar raised.

Is anybody else seeing this particular challenge and if so, what requirements are you given to meet it?

Last edited:

zachpenguin

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
I noticed it today. This is what mine says.
79c153410416cb9e7a405c02f8c4a84b.png

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
Mine:

October Challenge.PNG

The was taken after today's Outdoor Walk Workout. Previously it said 61/6.

I wished I had noticed on 1 Oct.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
They are extra monthly challenges. Next month will have an additional November challenge. I’m not sure what the requirements are for how Apple decides which goals should be stretched. For me it’s calories, I need 1,273 calories daily to meet this goal.

1a9f7bfedce83c9fb2f77f4ce8b36f7d.png

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
metllicamilitia said:
They are extra monthly challenges.

Yes, I noted that above. These are obviously tailored to the individual, probably based on their specific activity over the previous week/month, possibly goals set, and personal info entwered in the Health app. A WAG on my part.

I wish Apple would tell us two things:

1) What is a brisk 30min walk in paces per minute. This would help myself and others using the Outdoor Walk Workout close our Exercise rings more quickly, in most cases. There've been a lot of complaints about Exercise minutes not being recorded properly and that would eliminate the variable of someone dropping their pace below the threshold of 'brisk'.

2) How these new monthly challenges are created. I think we'll see some varied challenges coming up.

ksassy

Mar 9, 2017
Visit site
d02a47028cb1eaeefcdc43870cb54e06.png

Hmmm I'm not showing a October Challenge for me and my achievement is labeled as Perfect Month? I'm still on watch OS 3.2.3 so is this for watch OS 4.0 only??

Edit: Nevermind I just saw another thread by the OP clarifying this.

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
My October challenge is ridiculous (although not as crazy as metllicamilitia's)! Mine says "Earn this award by burning at least 27,508 Calories this month." My normal running pace is 8:30-9:00 minute miles and I burn 80-85 calories per mile. To meet this challenge, I'd need to run about 10 miles every single day of the month. Since I currently average roughly 4 miles per day, 10 is never going to happen.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
My October challenge is ridiculous (although not as crazy as metllicamilitia's)! Mine says "Earn this award by burning at least 27,508 Calories this month." My normal running pace is 8:30-9:00 minute miles and I burn 80-85 calories per mile. To meet this challenge, I'd need to run about 10 miles every single day of the month. Since I currently average roughly 4 miles per day, 10 is never going to happen.

Some of the challenges aren’t realistic at all. Hopefully Apple will fix this in a future update.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
Clearly, Apple is using previous data as well as some unique algorithm(s) and that's just not enough information to make widespread reasonable increased challenges.

And you may be operating at a level that near the edge of your performance envelope where a seemingly small increase in time or calories demands a much greater effort to achieve those increased goals.

I'm walking twice a day for my challenge— averaging 54 Exercise minutes a day for the month. So far my average is 18min/day according to the Activity app. Since I first started this thread I've actually done 60-70min/day. I may complete this one and if I do, I'll watch for the next one and be ready to pass on it if it seems like work.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
Got 85 Exercise minute for 90 Elapsed minutes. Haven't PTed like this since the service. I still need 54EMs/day but I'm at 42, up from 18.

If the November Monthly Challenge is anything like this one, I'm out and will settle for the mundane Perfect Month.

Shin splints are just weakness leaving the body. LOL!

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site

Is it to burn 27,508 *total* calories or *active* calories? (In other words, look at the health app on the iPhone to see "Active energy" and "Resting energy". Does the challenge count both?)

I've been out of the country since the beginning of the month, so this is the first I paid attention to this challenge.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR