Watch Woes with watchOS 4?

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
I've got four issues. The first two are problems and the second two are likely just changes in the software I don't like.

1) I didn't discover until yesterday that I'm not getting my 50 minute stand alerts. Unlike @doogald, I do value the stand alert. I often spend hours at a time, sitting and working on a pc. I see it as unhealthy to sit for hours without moving so I rely on the 50 minute reminder. I'll try restarts and see if that helps.

2) Monday morning I didn't get the Weekly Summary and had to bring it up manually.

3) I am no longer getting the weather on my run reports. I am getting the new heart rate data and like that.

4) When I achieve my exercise goal during a run, it notifies me immediately and I find that distracting. It used to wait until after the run to pop up exercise and move goal notifications.

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
It works for me. You may instead want to do an internet search for "apple watch feedback page". The first link should be this one.

When I click on the link, it redirects to Apple.com, but when I copy and paste the link it works correctly. I tried it with both Chrome and IE. Strange!

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
When I click on the link, it redirects to Apple.com, but when I copy and paste the link it works correctly.

I frequently have that problem with links posted here. Not to mention there's been a lot of forum wackiness for me, lately. The unread post count for one, and being unable to reply to individual, specific comments in the Comments section of any of the articles.

And FWIW, 11.01, was no joy for me too, prof. :(

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
4) When I achieve my exercise goal during a run, it notifies me immediately and I find that distracting. It used to wait until after the run to pop up exercise and move goal notifications.

For the first time on OS4 today, I did not get interrupted with a completion of my exercise ring. It happened after the run. (Unlike you, I don't mind the interruption.)

Two more hours today without a stand reminder at 50 past the hour. But I did get reminders one other hour.

It's the inconsistency that is bugging me.

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
For the first time on OS4 today, I did not get interrupted with a completion of my exercise ring. It happened after the run. (Unlike you, I don't mind the interruption.)

Two more hours today without a stand reminder at 50 past the hour. But I did get reminders one other hour.

It's the inconsistency that is bugging me.

You would prefer mine then, I'm not getting any reminders. :)

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
Mac Guy said:
Thanks for posting that! I've missed a bunch of reminders but setting the repeat timer has helped me not to miss too many.

Ok, Serenity's fix worked and I'm getting all the Stand Reminders as I should. That makes me very happy.

But I've noticed a couple of things that may or may not be related, don't know for certain:

1) I'm getting Taptic ticks with no explanation. I get about 3-4 an hour. Sometimes it's at 15min past the hour. I haven't really paid enough attention. But I check my phone and Watch for any possible reason for the ticks and see none. It may be just my Watch saying 'Ha ha! Made you look!'

2) When checking the time, I'm occasionally getting a some kind of Apple message (I'm guessing) that fills the screen with text, but then disappears, being instantly replaced by the Watch face. It's gone before I can read any of it, in part because I'm never expecting it when it does show up.

3) I'm now suddenly getting occasional notification when charging the Watch that my Griffin stand using the Apple puck 'isn't supported'. That's new.

All of these occurred only after a) implementing The Fix and b) changing the orientation of the Watch to Crown Inboard. I realize that neither of these actions might have caused this behavior. I mention it because those are the only things I've done differently prior to the weirdness. I'm tempted to do the Reboot dance for both the Watch and phone but Apple says that shouldn't be a routine.

These are very minor things compared to the lack of Stand Reminders, so I'm happy to have them back.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Right now my only issue is getting a stand reminder after spending a few minutes making lunch in the kitchen at 12:40, definitely moving around, and getting the stand reminder at 12:50. But ever since I unpaired and set the watch up from scratch, I've had every reminder for standing (meaning I haven't seen an hour where I didn't get credit when I knew I didn't have a reminder.)

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Right now my only issue is getting a stand reminder after spending a few minutes making lunch in the kitchen at 12:40, definitely moving around, and getting the stand reminder at 12:50. But ever since I unpaired and set the watch up from scratch, I've had every reminder for standing (meaning I haven't seen an hour where I didn't get credit when I knew I didn't have a reminder.)

Nice!
I get reminders when I don’t stand.
But I don’t get reminders when I have stood up within that hour.

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
You mean on the summary after the workout is over, before you tap "done"? I'm getting both heart data and weather.

It sounds like you're getting a weather report on the run summary screen (before you press Done). If that's right, then no, I'm not getting that. I was referring to the weather report on the workout summary. Those are missing since OS4.

BTW, thanks for posting Serenity's article on the fix for the standing reminders. I just now saw your post. Hope it works!

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
It sounds like you're getting a weather report on the run summary screen (before you press Done). If that's right, then no, I'm not getting that. I was referring to the weather report on the workout summary. Those are missing since OS4. !

What is "the workout summary"? Where do you see this? On the watch or phone?

Even on the Activity app on my phone, when I tap the workout, I see the weather.

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
What is "the workout summary"? Where do you see this? On the watch or phone?

Even on the Activity app on my phone, when I tap the workout, I see the weather.

On the phone in two different places in the Activity app - under workouts for a given day or using the Workout tab at the bottom. Either place, no weather. The last day I got the weather was September 19. I assume that coincides with OS4. Since you're still getting it, that makes me think there is some buried setting that's the problem.

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site

I recall that you use a different app for runs - not the default Apple app on the watch. Is that right? Maybe your different app is still feeding weather data to the workout summary.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I recall that you use a different app for runs - not the default Apple app on the watch. Is that right? Maybe your different app is still feeding weather data to the workout summary.

No, I use the stock workouts app. I tried a few other apps, but none of them have the features that I want, so I just use the stock app. It's a little silly, I wear one watch on one arm and the AW on the other, both tracking a workout. But it's useful for the AW for when I do a treadmill workout, as it better calibrates my pace and stride length after a few outdoor runs.

(I don't use the AW workouts app every run. Maybe two of three.)

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
This is not so much a "watch woe", but a weird change. If you use the digital crown to slowly light the display (I do this at night if I wake up, and, at my age, it's usually not "if"), the display does a quick white flash before it shows the watch face. It didn't do this on OS3. (You'll only notice this when it is dark.)

This, of course, if you have the setting settings / general / wake screen / wake screen on crown up turned on.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox