watchOS 4— What's NOT to like. . .

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
I'm not happy that I can't stream from the phone via the Watch. Yet I can see and scroll through all my phone's playlists.

Several times on my walk I went to check the Exercise ring and the Now Playing app was front and center. Ok, fine... when I'm listening to music. Which I wasn't. I kept having to scroll to the Activity app.

I was a little disappointed with the final version of the passcode screen. I thought there was a little balloon-like thing that popped up like on the keyboard to make it easier to see that you've hit the right numbers. The number pads are bigger so that's something.

Still can't just raise my Watch while on Workout and see my Exercise ring status, but I didn't expect any improvement on that front. But I didn't expect a step back (npi) in the navigation.

I don't doubt that most people won't have issues with wOS4. These are just things that bug me and probably nobody else.

That's all I got for now. So far I haven't found anything to really like, but that's not to say I won't.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I'm not happy that I can't stream from the phone via the Watch. Yet I can see and scroll through all my phone's playlists.

I agree. I wouldn't mind a force press to allow me to start music on the phone, for example.

I was a little disappointed with the final version of the passcode screen. I thought there was a little balloon-like thing that popped up like on the keyboard to make it easier to see that you've hit the right numbers. The number pads are bigger so that's something.

They don't pop up like keys on the iPhone keyboard, but they do grow in size as you tap them, and that's much better for me. I have not mis-keyed my passcode yet on 4, and that happened all of the time on watchOS 3.

Still can't just raise my Watch while on Workout and see my Exercise ring status, but I didn't expect any improvement on that front. But I didn't expect a step back (npi) in the navigation.

I was surprised this morning on my first workout with OS 4 that the exercise ring fill notification came as I finished my 30 minutes in the middle of the workout. That never happened on OS 3 for me - those notifications always came after I finished the workout. So, a small improvement?

rangerdeyo

Trusted Member
Nov 24, 2016
Visit site
Several times on my walk I went to check the Exercise ring and the Now Playing app was front and center. Ok, fine... when I'm listening to music. Which I wasn't. I kept having to scroll to the Activity app.

There is a new setting under the General - Wake Screen for auto launching audio apps. I shut that off because I was running into the same issue with streaming a radio station.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
Another thing— of the three Watches upgraded to w4, none of them give me Stand Reminders. My sole w3 Watch still does.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
They don't pop up like keys on the iPhone keyboard, but they do grow in size as you tap them, and that's much better for me. I have not mis-keyed my passcode yet on 4, and that happened all of the time on watchOS 3.

My experience is the same. I saw that the keypads were a little larger even though they didn't perform as I thought they would based on an earlier video. But I didn't notice that they increased in size when touched. (No jokes, please.) Just checked and saw that. But doing so the odds of miskeying are even further reduced. That's even better the pop-up idea.

I was surprised this morning on my first workout with OS 4 that the exercise ring fill notification came as I finished my 30 minutes in the middle of the workout. That never happened on OS 3 for me - those notifications always came after I finished the workout. So, a small improvement?

Yes it is. I mentioned that in another thread. While I'd rather have me preference, that is an improvement.

There is a new setting under the General - Wake Screen for auto launching audio apps. I shut that off because I was running into the same issue with streaming a radio station.

I found that after slinging untold search terms at duckduckgo. I was looking forward to that feature as it would be a big improvement for those times when actually listen to music. But since it's happened every time when not listening to Music the switch was flipped. That could be fixed in an update which would make the Auto Now Playing thing a useful thing for me.

I haven’t tested it out, but I was expecting more out of WatchOS 4.

Me too. There weren't many promises made in the demo, but I thought there'd be more cool tidbits in the release. There still may be, just as yet undiscovered. But it will take some good ones for me to get over what I'm not happy with so far.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Another thing— of the three Watches upgraded to w4, none of them give me Stand Reminders. My sole w3 Watch still does.

I've had one today. And, apparently, there were three other hours when I did not stand enough but did not receive the reminder.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
I've had one today. And, apparently, there were three other hours when I did not stand enough but did not receive the reminder.

None for me. But I'm setting a timer (on the Watch, it doesn't get Timer Notifications from the phone!) and the Reset button is a workaround until Notifications get sorted. Heading for Apple Feedback.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

I don't doubt that most people won't have issues with wOS4. These are just things that bug me and probably nobody else.

That's all I got for now. So far I haven't found anything to really like, but that's not to say I won't.

Dude, how many of these I hate watchOS 4 are you going to create?

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site

Stand reminders are given every hour at x:50 if you haven’t stand enough for that hour.
If you don’t get reminders you have stand.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
None for me. But I'm setting a timer (on the Watch, it doesn't get Timer Notifications from the phone!) and the Reset button is a workaround until Notifications get sorted. Heading for Apple Feedback.

Enable timers to show on your Watch. My Watch also gives me an alert if the timer on my phone has end.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
If you don’t get reminders you have stand.

That's only true if all is working as it should.

Look at the Activity app on the phone, an it will show you if you you've missed a stand, which is the problem in my case and at least one other member's experience.

No reminder, missed stands. I'm doing a workaround and will see how that goes.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
That's only true if all is working as it should.

Look at the Activity app on the phone, an it will show you if you you've missed a stand, which is the problem in my case and at least one other member's experience.

No reminder, missed stands. I'm doing a workaround and will see how that goes.

I don’t have this issue on my first gen. Have been beta testing it since the beta became available just after the keynote in June.

Hopefully your issue will be solved soon.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I don't think you understand— the problem is alert did show as they were supposed to. Now they don't.

I do understand you. But it is my duty as a human to ask you/remind you of the Settings.
Disabling the ‘Push Alerts from iPhone’ toggle and enabling it back won’t hurt, too.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
Dude, how many of these I hate watchOS 4 are you going to create?

Dude?

You might want to look up the words:

hate
leader
objectivity

I am not in love with iOS4 and am disappointed in a few aspects, and am having some issues with it.

NOTHING about any of that meets the definition of 'hate'. Up until this update, I've had little to complain about any update. As it happens this one did not go as well for me. I doubt I'm the only one.

Are you telling me that my observations are without merit and should not be posted? Because you believe them to be 'I hate watchOS 4 posts? If so, then you need to familiarize yourself with actual hate posts.

The various iMore pages have liberal sprinkling of posters making confrontational, insulting, uniformed, and unsubstantiated, wild claims which I suggest are actual 'hate' remarks from the mouths of malcontents and trolls. I am neither. None of my posts rise to anywhere near that level.

In the future, I'd appreciate it if you don't mischaracterize my posts just because some aren't complimentary. I've created two threads and responded to posts with my observations. NONE of those were 'I hate...' posts.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
Hopefully your issue will be solved soon.

I'll get round to trying an un-pair/re-pair. If that doesn't work, I'm hoping an update will do it. Only one other person here has had the same problem, so it might not even be wide spread enough to merit an update.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Dude?

You might want to look up the words:

hate
leader
objectivity

I am not in love with iOS4 and am disappointed in a few aspects, and am having some issues with it.

NOTHING about any of that meets the definition of 'hate'. Up until this update, I've had little to complain about any update. As it happens this one did not go as well for me. I doubt I'm the only one.

Are you telling me that my observations are without merit and should not be posted? Because you believe them to be 'I hate watchOS 4 posts? If so, then you need to familiarize yourself with actual hate posts.

The various iMore pages have liberal sprinkling of posters making confrontational, insulting, uniformed, and unsubstantiated, wild claims which I suggest are actual 'hate' remarks from the mouths of malcontents and trolls. I am neither. None of my posts rise to anywhere near that level.

In the future, I'd appreciate it if you don't mischaracterize my posts just because some aren't complimentary. I've created two threads and responded to posts with my observations. NONE of those were 'I hate...' posts.
@Mac Guy, I observed 2 other threads you created basically stating the same thing. In no way, shape or form am I stating that you shouldn’t be upset with watchOS 4 or anything like that. I was asking how many threads are you going to create complaining about the same thing, but since you’re super sensitive about it and want to take m question where it doesn’t need to go, I’ll leave it at that. Enjoy the rest of your day.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
I do understand you. But it is my duty as a human to ask you/remind you of the Settings.
Disabling the ‘Push Alerts from iPhone’ toggle and enabling it back won’t hurt, too.

I've ensured all my settings are correct and toggled as mention, previously in another thread. Apparently I haven't posted that enough. ;)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh