Can you get Apple watch 3 with LTE, but NOT active LTE

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
I like it. Had with my Samsung only better on Apple
There will be times I will definitely leave phone at home. This is perfect for me. At work too . Can’t wait to have it

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
One thing about getting it now with carrier, at least with Verizon, the activation fee is being waived and also 3 months free on the 10.00 data contract. Also can make 6 payments on the watch.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
The LTE can be used without your phone being on you. The Bluetooth version needs phone close by

Actually, not true. If your watch is connected to a known WiFi access point and is not near the phone, it will communicate with WiFi. And, if your carrier supports it, it can even uses WiFi calling to make and receive calls. There are a few things it can do on wifi; see https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205547

(I can say from experience that this is true.)

donnation

Trusted Member
Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
I have the series 3 and I have not activated the LTE on it and it works great without it. I may activate it sometime here in the future but I want to see how these data plans shake out. I feel like they will be adjusted as its a new service and I want to wait and see. Regardless though, I purchased mine directly from Apple and just skipped over the data activation and it works perfectly.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
How do you deactivate it ? Is it a simple toggle in the setting ?

When setting up the Watch for the very first time, you can skip the step to setup cellular.

If you’ve already set it up, you can simply turn it off in the Control Center or via Settings on your Watch.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
f you’ve already set it up, you can simply turn it off in the Control Center or via Settings on your Watch.

To me, the question would not be: How do you turn off the cellular radios on the watch?

But: How do you turn off the service and stop the carrier from charging you $10/month for the service? In other words, how do you deactivate the service, not the cellular radios? Is there something in the watch app on the iPhone that does this, or do you contact the carrier?

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
To me, the question would not be: How do you turn off the cellular radios on the watch?

But: How do you turn off the service and stop the carrier from charging you $10/month for the service? In other words, how do you deactivate the service, not the cellular radios? Is there something in the watch app on the iPhone that does this, or do you contact the carrier?

I’m not sure, you might have to contact your carrier.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site

You won’t be able to end an agreement you have with your wireless carrier using your phone. You’ll have to contact your carrier to have the service removed.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
How do you deactivate it ? Is it a simple toggle in the setting ?

Don't know anything about that, but I did read that att will charge a re-activation fee ($25), so I think it will be a rare use case where toggling on/off (or however it's done) will be cost effective.

There is a promotional period where att will activate LTE for free and give three months free service. This seems to be the case for all the Big Carriers. Outside of the promo fee, they say they won't waive it. They might be sweet talked though.

Rocket_Girl

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Yes. This^
Wanted stainless, only available with LTE. Noy using it. Works like my Series 0- except WAY faster,!smoother, with better battery. No immediate plans to activate LTE.

pbach

Sep 27, 2017
Visit site
Hi, I just wanted to know if the Apple Watch series 3 GPS+Cellular, will only work in the country of purchase? if I bought one in the US and wanted to use it in another country, would that be possible? Help please... 🤔

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Hi, I just wanted to know if the Apple Watch series 3 GPS+Cellular, will only work in the country of purchase? if I bought one in the US and wanted to use it in another country, would that be possible? Help please...

It’s reported by various media that it won’t be possible to use an Apple Watch from any country in another country.

pbach

Sep 27, 2017
Visit site
Yes! I saw that. but when I spoke to an Apple agent in Tech support they said it would work. so I'm wondering if there's any way to know which one is true.
It’s reported by various media that it won’t be possible to use an Apple Watch from any country in another country.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Yes! I saw that. but when I spoke to an Apple agent in Tech support they said it would work. so I'm wondering if there's any way to know which one is true.

Always assume the worst.
But since you already bought yours, hope for the best.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site

Yes. Here is a chart of the various cellular models and where they work: https://www.apple.com/watch/cellular/#mn_p

For example, Model A1860 and A1861 work in the USA, Canada, and Puerto Rico. You can tell which model you have in Settings / About. I believe that it is also on the box. It doesn't seem to be stamped on the back of the watch, though.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the read. I too am considering getting the LTE model but not activate on LTE and use Bluetooth / wifi only. I may use LTE in the future but don't want / need it right now. I guess I just want the 16 gigs of space.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the read. I too am considering getting the LTE model but not activate on LTE and use Bluetooth / wifi only. I may use LTE in the future but don't want / need it right now. I guess I just want the 16 gigs of space.

I purchased my Series 3 Watch (cellular model) because I wanted the explorer watch face and red dot and you can only get them with the cellular model. Having said that, I have not activated its cellular capability. Maybe I will in the near future, but as of now, I don’t need it.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
I purchased my Series 3 Watch (cellular model) because I wanted the explorer watch face and red dot and you can only get them with the cellular model. Having said that, I have not activated its cellular capability. Maybe I will in the near future, but as of now, I don’t need it.

Excellent, thanks.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro