Additional Carrier Cost for LTE on Apple Watch??

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone know if there will be additional carrier costs to have your Apple Watch on their networks? I missed that part of the event .... and then tried to watch it last night but my kids were all over me, so if they said something about that, I missed it.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
@eyecrispy. There will be an extra charge for sure.
But then again, my Dutch T-Mobile charges me €1.98 for visual voicemail.
I think it will be an extra service which you can add to your existing plan.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Saw it somewhere that the US carriers are charging $10/month. If I find the chart again, I will post it.

I read the same, and I think that AT&T, Verizon, and T-Mobile are giving the first three months free, for what that's worth. AT&T and Verizon are also waiving the activation fee. Sprint hasn't finalized pricing, the last that I looked.

ksassy

Mar 9, 2017
Visit site
What do you all think ... is this feature worth $10 a month?

For me it's not. I've only answered two phones calls on my watch so I don't need a just in case they need to reach me kinda watch with that capability so I'll pass for now.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
Thanks! Well, at least the US carriers are consistent in pricing.

What do you all think ... is this feature worth $10 a month?

I don't think I'd notice an extra $10. However I barely wear my AW2, so I'm not going to get an AW3 just to have this feature.

rangerdeyo

Trusted Member
Nov 24, 2016
Visit site
So here is a question, if you are in an area and searching for cell service, does your watch search also if you have your phone with you? Somehow I think the LTE is going to be more of a battery drain on the watch than people realize. Early estimates are 18 hours of battery life on a S3 with LTE. But only 1 hour if you use it for calls.

The $10/month isnt a huge amount but why should I pay more to use my existing account on an extra device? Its not like I can call from both at the same time.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
So here is a question, if you are in an area and searching for cell service, does your watch search also if you have your phone with you? Somehow I think the LTE is going to be more of a battery drain on the watch than people realize. Early estimates are 18 hours of battery life on a S3 with LTE. But only 1 hour if you use it for calls.

My understanding is that cellular will be like GPS: if you watch is near enough to your phone to have a BT connection, it will use your phone's cellular and GPS radios at all times. It's only when it is separated that it will use its own GPS and cellular radios.

krazyatom

Trusted Member
Jun 19, 2015
Visit site
My main concern is how good is the battery? I had samsung LTE watch and battery was terrible when it was using LTE connection.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
I would guess yes. I mean, if you don't pay the carrier, it will just sit dormant.

But can you even buy the Watch without a plan. You couldn't do so with iPhones until Apple started selling them unlocked.

Its not like I can call from both at the same time.

I believe the concept is to use one when you're without the other. Business being what it is, carriers won't let us just pay for time when we need it. Instead the contrive plans to take our money.

I don't know if two cellphones with the same ESN and phone number could make calls simultaneously and assume they can't. And it seems trivial for the carrier to block the ability to use an S3 Watch and phone at the same time. So why even charge us at all. Take any data used from our phone plan.

If we BYOP we still have to pay a monthly 'access fee' on top of our plan fee. Why is that? Rhetorical. I know why.

So pay or don't.

My understanding is that cellular will be like GPS:

I have no knowledge or understand of how the S3's cellular will work. But since all previous Watches will allow you to make or take a call it surely seems possible to manage LTE like GPS as you suggest. I've taken a few calls on my Watch but except for some rare instances of very short calls, just to allow me to answer the call while digging out or getting to my phone.

I need to reduce my plan anyway. Adding the Watch to my collection would mean a) the potential savings of a new plan would be halved 2) it would be expected that I wouldn't have my phone with me on occasion to get calls, texts, and notifications (I generally have it with me) and c) that would be my only Watch because if I was wearing my S2 and forgot my phone, the S3 sitting at home would be wasted. Oh! Wear the S3 when I know I'm going to forget my phone!

Maybe a trip to att.com is in order. Is the $10 just another 'access fee' and the data and minutes come from my phone's account (which makes sense) or does the S3 have data/minutes restrictions from the phone's account.

Regarding battery life, I'm not concerned. Any calls would be very few and very short, knowing that the meter is running faster than normal.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh