I want wireless chargers!

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
Now that the iPhone 8 and beyond do wireless charging we should see third-party manufacturers do something like the Apple AirPower (in 2018?).

I want a one charger fits all solution for my phone, Watch (or two) and AirPods. I wonder what that wireless case will cost vs a new set of AirPods in the wireless case.

Conrad368

Aug 22, 2017
Visit site
I see review yesterday I thnik wireless charging is very good and yes they will do something like Apple AirPower soon, maybe in 2017 . :)

ksassy

Mar 9, 2017
Visit site
The AirPower looks very cool from the keynote. I know this will require me to upgrade my iPhone, Apple Watch, and AirPods to take full advantage of this feature which is an investment ($$$$) but could be a good one for the future. I wonder the same thing about the cost of the AirPods wireless charging case? I won't be surprised if I'll need to upgrade to AirPods 2 by that point.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I would love to get the AirPower once it is available. It looks simple and it’s nice being able to charge all my Apple products at the same time in one pad.

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
I wonder what that wireless case will cost vs a new set of AirPods in the wireless case.

I'm wondering when the AirPods with wireless charging case will debut. I've been thinking about buying AirPods since their introduction, but now I wouldn't buy them without that feature.

Last edited:

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
As somebody who used an Android phone from 2013-2015 that could be wirelessly charged, and did charge my phone wirelessly nearly every night, I can live without wireless charging.

1. In almost every case, it's not "wireless". You're confined to a location that is close to an outlet that is connected by a wire anyway.
2. It's less efficient than wired charging. It heats the battery more while providing a slower charge. Heat in the log run affects long-term battery life, and it gives you less charge per minute than a wired charger.
3. I can always get a true battery powered charger than provides faster charge with more convenience. Like a product sold by Anker for lightning charging, or even something like this for the watch: https://griffintechnology.com/us/device/apple/apple-watch/travel-power-bank-for-apple-watch

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
but now I wouldn't buy them without that feature.

Makes good economical sense. Fortunately, I'm not bound by that! LOL

In using my AirPods regularly, I've found that they don't move from Mac to phone as easily as I'd like. Easier than pairing, but not seamlessly automatic.

That, and the wireless AirPod coming means I should get a second pair, one for around the house and one for on the go. :D

I'd like to think Apple would get these out just in time for the Holidays! Which should be any day now. Tim said we're done with Events for this year, according to Rene, so if they don't pop up on the site soon or early December, it's likely sometime next year. :(

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I actually think the wireless AirPods will just be a case upgrade. You’ll have a choice to purchase separately.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
doogald said:
I can live without wireless charging.

Everybody can live without wireless charging. We just don't have to. I'll choose not to. :)

The convenience of just casually setting the phone down on a pad without plugging/unplugging a cable or dock is subjective. For me it's like having auto-on/off on my car headlights. Sure I can turn them off— it only takes a second or two. But I don't have to.

While it's less efficient that direct wire charging, for most of us that's not at all critical. As for portability, so what. It's nice to have a'true battery' pack to charge a phone on the fly, but that's really a whole other discussion. Well, unless you don't have electricity where you live or work. You don't use AC wall chargers? Most of us will have to use them anyway, so for those who like convenience, it's not a big deal. And you'll have to charge the battery pack. Interesting work flow, that.

So wireless charging has nothing to offer you, but for others, me— it's all good.

phreddyl; said:
I actually think the wireless AirPods will just be a case upgrade. You’ll have a choice to purchase separately.

That's probably correct on both counts. I like the idea but given typical Apple pricing, I probably wouldn't pay more than $29 for a new case, and Apple would/will probably want >$39. I don't feel the ROC (Return On Convenience).

I'll get a second pair and I'm not sure if wireless charging will get more money from me.

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
I'm wondering when the AirPods with wireless charging case will debut. I've been thinking about buying AirPods since their introduction, but now I wouldn't buy them without that feature.

Well I'm a big fat liar. I just happened to be in my local Apple store the other day and when I saw that they had AirPods in stock I decided to buy myself a birthday present. I'm enjoying them very much but I will be the wireless charging case when it comes out.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Well I'm a big fat liar. I just happened to be in my local Apple store the other day and when I saw that they had AirPods in stock I decided to buy myself a birthday present. I'm enjoying them very much but I will be the wireless charging case when it comes out.

Happy Birthday!!!

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
I've recently seen that Amazon has 'retro-fit' bits that can convert pre-8/X iPhones to wireless charging. There are two parts needed:

1) an induction coil plugging into the Lightning port and sandwiched between the phone and case

2) a suitable wireless charging stand or pad

Then I realized once the coil was in place, the Lightning port wouldn't be available for portable or car charging. So that will need looking into. It's nice to know that it's possible.

One review of such a setup (don't remember exactly which bits) said 'Be careful when picking the phone up as it gets very warm'. If I have to use caution because it's warm, then the battery is getting much hotter than I care for. So that's something I'll have to consider.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh