Won’t be upgrading, but I wanted to

jrsharp70

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
1st world problems.

I have a series 2 aluminum. I wanted a series 3 steel cellular. But I wear my watch every day, everywhere. That stupid red dot would be a distraction to the people I interact with at work, and look ridiculous in a dressier situation.

So ok... better performance with a regular series 3. I want the new sport strap anyway. Wrong. It’s another $50, because I can’t buy it with that strap.

I’ll keep my awesome series 2 for another year, spend $50 on the new strap and call it a day.

Did they talk to regular people before they launched this? When you are the trillion dollar company I guess you make your own rules.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
The red dot on the crown is ridiculous. I wanted the Series 3 Steel too... if only they had it with GPS only. There are stickers sold online that are made to cover that red dot, I might get one of those to cover it up

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
The black dot doesn't bother me and the red dot wouldn't either. The 'worst' that would happen is some savvy Apple person saying 'Is that the new Series 3 Apple Watch? How do you like it? Is the battery life as good as they say? What about...'

You're right. It would be Hell on Earth. Nevermind.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
So ok... better performance with a regular series 3. I want the new sport strap anyway. Wrong. It’s another $50, because I can’t buy it with that strap.

That's my pet peeve. I'm not sure why they don't allow you to customize your order for the band that you want for a small upcharge, at least when you buy it in the store. Or sell the watch without bands and allow a band order with the watch, again for only a small amount more than the standard configuration for each watch.

jrsharp70

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
That red dot... if I wanted people to see what a douschebag I am, I could save a lot of money and buy an ed hardy shirt.

rangerdeyo

Trusted Member
Nov 24, 2016
Visit site
I'm not sold on needing a cellular connection for my watch. Especially at another $10/month to connect a device that is sharing my number that I already pay for. I have an original sport watch and upgraded to a series 2 exactly one year later because I wanted the waterproofing (I swim a lot). So to drop another $400 on just a faster version of the watch I have doesn't make sense. Especially since I want to upgrade my phone (rocking a 6 right now).

ksassy

Mar 9, 2017
Visit site
I'm keeping my Series 2 with GPS (rose gold aluminum) that I just bought in June but I still want a stainless steel watch to trade off between my other one. I too am not sold on the cellular portion so need for that. Now to decide between a Series 2 stainless steel (while I can still get one) vs a Series 3 stainless steel...hmmm??

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I'm keeping my Series 2 with GPS (rose gold aluminum) that I just bought in June but I still want a stainless steel watch to trade off between my other one. I too am not sold on the cellular portion so need for that. Now to decide between a Series 2 stainless steel (while I can still get one) vs a Series 3 stainless steel...hmmm??

Might as well go for the latest and greatest.
It’s 70% faster than the Series 2.

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
The red dot on the crown is ridiculous. I wanted the Series 3 Steel too... if only they had it with GPS only. There are stickers sold online that are made to cover that red dot, I might get one of those to cover it up

Couldn't agree more. I noticed and disliked the offending red dot the INSTANT they showed the watch in the keynote. I kept expecting it would just be on certain models. I would either paint it or cover it with a sticker.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Couldn't agree more. I noticed and disliked the offending red dot the INSTANT they showed the watch in the keynote. I kept expecting it would just be on certain models. I would either paint it or cover it with a sticker.

Sadly the Space Black is only available in Cellular which means that the red dot will be there. I’m probably going to cover it with some stickers from WatchDots.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
The red dot is the very last thing that would stop me from getting what I wanted, and even then it wouldn't.

This reminds me of all the people who just hate seeing others with AirPods. Makes me laugh. Don't like how it looks— fine. Don't like how you think it makes others look? That says more about you than them. And not in a complimentary way.

While I think the red dot looks good on the black/space gray watches, I would prefer the black dot or maybe no dot. No doubt the are workarounds.

But if the red dot is enough to put you off the Watch, then you really didn't want one anyway, right?

Eclipse2K

Jul 17, 2016
Visit site
I was looking at buying a 42mm Series 3 with LTE but the pricing is ridiculous. I can justify $430 for the watch and Verizon waived activation and 3 months service. However, I’m on a $40 ($32 with discounts) per month single line plan with 5GB of data. I’d have to change to a new plan which would be $10 more for a gig less of data plus the $10 per month for the watch. And I don’t think the new plan id be forced into has a $5 auto pay discount like I do currently.

I wish the watch didn’t count as a new device so I wouldn’t need to change my plan.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
I wish the watch didn’t count as a new device so I wouldn’t need to change my plan.

Wow! As the kids say— that's messed up! $20 more for a G less data.

I have no idea what hell ATT has planned for me when it's time to activate. Since it's early days maybe you got bad information and the costs aren't as bad. I'd try four or five different reps to see if I could get a better idea of any options.

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I guess I am the only one that likes the red dot-It reminds me of my Michelle watch. Anyway I ordered the 38mm LTE silver seashell sport loop