LTE in Apple Watch Series 3?

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Starting to hear reports that Apple is planning to release a version of the Apple Watch with LTE connectivity on board.

This excites me because you'll no longer have to have your phone with you to do all the things you need (receive notifications, take phone calls, etc.).

Would also be REALLY cool for me if there was music/data storage on board. The ability to send (bluetooth) music to wireless headphones while on a workout would be AMAZING.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I'm uninterested in this. I always have my phone with me, and I want the watch to be an extension of the phone (or iPad or Mac - I would love to be able to extend connectivity to my other Apple devices), not a standalone device. I understand why people want this, but it's not for me.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
LTE connectivity

Just what will that be? Data? Data and voice? An additional data/minutes plan? Or a month at a time, like iPads?

I have no desire to use a Watch for calls. I abhor a society where people would be running around using their Watch to share their conversation with the general public. There are already far too many people who walk around in stores and businesses holding their phones and conversing in speakerphone mode. I find it highly annoying and distracting.

It's bad enough that people talk on the much louder than when carrying on a normal conversation. This may be a sidetone issue but my money is on general lack of consideration. 'Digital again, the Old Courtesy doesn't apply.' I disagree.

But additional data-only for say $10 a month, I could be on board. I usually have my phone with me, but not always. Being able to get notifications and texts would be plenty. It would also make GPS useful for more than just documenting movement. The ability to sent an SOS with GPS coordinates would be a plus.

So LTE connectivity for data accompanied by a reasonable data plan piques my interest. Cellular capability doesn't do thing for me. The attendant voice plan, even less.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I think it will happen.
Personally, I'm not too interested in the Apple Watch anymore. I've been drooling over the upcoming iPhone

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
Would also be REALLY cool for me if there was music/data storage on board.

Yes, currently you can store 2G of music on a Watch. You can then use BT earphones (AirPods in particular!) to hear your music.

I'm anxious for wOS4 with is supposed to allow multiple playlists on the Watch.

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
I'm also in the not too interested in that feature camp. When I'm out of range of my iPhone it's almost always because I'm running. In that case, I don't want notifications or need a data connection.

About the only thing that might make me consider buying AW3 is an option for always on display. I suspect that's got almost no chance.

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
I'm uninterested in this. I always have my phone with me, and I want the watch to be an extension of the phone (or iPad or Mac - I would love to be able to extend connectivity to my other Apple devices), not a standalone device. I understand why people want this, but it's not for me.
Exactly this ....

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site

I totally agree. My iPhone is always with me, what difference would this make except for Apple padding the price of the Apple Watch for unnecessary technology.

Conrad368

Aug 22, 2017
Visit site
Starting to hear reports that Apple is planning to release a version of the Apple Watch with LTE connectivity on board.

This excites me because you'll no longer have to have your phone with you to do all the things you need (receive notifications, take phone calls, etc.).

Would also be REALLY cool for me if there was music/data storage on board. The ability to send (bluetooth) music to wireless headphones while on a workout would be AMAZING.

I agree with you. Sometimes more independent watch will be good.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
When I had Samsung my watch was standalone. Loved it. I could leave my phone if walking or running to the store. 5.00 a month data plan. It has its own number but not "used". Just for data purpose. If a call on phone it rings on Watch too. You have capabilities to forward calls to watch if u are out and not taking phone with you. I would jump on it if available to work on 7+. Not ready to upgrade phone yet. New iPhone looks stunning

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
Please Apple don't make me lust after more bands...I'm already a band ***** as it is LOL

There are worse versions of that. Maybe.

I'm looking forward to new bands. I got an Azure Sport just in time as it's been dropped from online. Some of these dropped bands may still be found at some B&M stores and online third-parties.

It wasn't stated at the Keynote, but Apple's site says the Series 3 (with GPS+cellular) is LTE.

I hope that the Watch's att data plan doesn't require that I wear Kevlar underwear.

MonkeyHouse98

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
I was wondering if anyone knew whether the non-aluminum Series 3 watches (that all only available with cellular) will nag to get a service plan like the iPhone does with the 'insert SIM' nonsense.

Attachments

• 42-hermes-marine-singletour-gallery1.jpeg
    42-hermes-marine-singletour-gallery1.jpeg
    278.6 KB · Views: 0

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
I have no clue. I don't even know if you can buy an S3C (S3 with Cellular) without a plan. There was a time when you couldn't buy a phone from Apple without including a plan in your purchase.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77