06-29-2017 10:16 AM
    In a somewhat ironic twist I believe it's Swatch who owns the iWatch trademark that forced Apple to have to use another name and call their device the Apple Watch.
    06-29-2017 11:43 AM
    I don't necessarily believe every story in BI. What I have read about the *luxury* (non-Quartz) Swiss watch market, of which Swatch is a big set of brands, is that luxury Swiss watches have not seen a sales decline and that they see smart wearables as good news for them. The biggest issue that they had pre-smartwatch is that fewer and fewer people were wearing watches at all. They see smartwatches as a step toward people interested in "better" watches.
    06-29-2017 12:36 PM
    Apple Watch hurting Swiss watchmakers, and Swatch is most at risk - Business Insider
    Hm. A link that's not a link until you hover. Very Apple like in making something non-intuitive, i.e. less obvious. Not a fan.

In a somewhat ironic twist I believe it's Swatch who owns the iWatch trademark that forced Apple to have to use another name and call their device the Apple Watch.
    I really thing that Apple Watch is a much better name than iWatch. A fine watch needs a timeless name. iWatch ain't it.
    06-29-2017 01:51 PM
    Hm. A link that's not a link until you hover. Very Apple like in making something non-intuitive, i.e. less obvious. Not a fan.

I really thing that Apple Watch is a much better name than iWatch. A fine watch needs a timeless name. iWatch ain't it.
    And I don't necessarily disagree, BUT I still find it interesting! lol
    06-29-2017 02:29 PM
    For the story to be true, Apple Watch and Swatch would need to have very similar target markets and I rather doubt they do.
    06-30-2017 01:34 PM
    For the story to be true, Apple Watch and Swatch would need to have very similar target markets and I rather doubt they do.
    THIS is the full story......

Why the Apple Watch isn't called the iWatch
    06-30-2017 03:33 PM
    Similar story to Apple TV. It was originally dubbed iTV, but there's a UK network called ITV that had a problem with that!
    pkcable likes this.
    07-01-2017 01:37 PM
    I think that the original post is probably correct, for medium price watches ... because these are not really luxury items with any serious cachet. However the Apple watch does seem to have that, for those that feel that north of £400 for a limited life gadget is a reasonable purchase,and like toys.
    07-03-2017 07:43 AM