About the Stand 'bars' in the Activity App. . ?

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
I've notice that when I'm not wearing the Watch and I miss a Stand (as in when I'm sleeping) there's a black blank space between the blue bars.

But sometimes there's a gray space or two between them. Besides a missed stand, what does that indicate, exactly? Anybody know?

Does it mean the Watch was worn but there was a missed opportunity? Does it mean that insufficient Stand time was achieved to merit confirmation? 'Almost there…' but no cigar?

While I'm at it, a little kvetching— several times since actively working at closing rings, I've noticed the Stands not updating properly. Sometimes it's just the Activity app not mirroring the Watch data, sometimes it's both the Watch and phone not showing the proper amount of Stands.

While there's the occasional missed response to the Last Stand reminder (10min before the hour) there's been failures to record a stand or two when I know that I've been active as required. Then there are occasions where the Watch shows it and the phone doesn't. The only thing (short of a Restore) that corrects it is a reboot of the phone.

::whew:: I feel better now.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
But sometimes there's a gray space or two between them. Besides a missed stand, what does that indicate, exactly? Anybody know?

Does it mean the Watch was worn but there was a missed opportunity? Does it mean that insufficient Stand time was achieved to merit confirmation? 'Almost there…' but no cigar?

Yes.

While I'm at it, a little kvetching— several times since actively working at closing rings, I've noticed the Stands not updating properly. Sometimes it's just the Activity app not mirroring the Watch data, sometimes it's both the Watch and phone not showing the proper amount of Stands.

While there's the occasional missed response to the Last Stand reminder (10min before the hour) there's been failures to record a stand or two when I know that I've been active as required.

I've noticed the same.

The Stand ring is a relatively dumb measure of activity anyway. If I move around while standing from 3:05 to 3:56 but then ride in a car from 3:55 to 6:05, I get credit for one hour of standing for 3:00, 4:00 and 5:00. If some lazy guy stands from 3:06 to 3:11, and then 4:54 to 5:06, he gets credit for three hours of standing. I've stood for three times the number of minutes than he has.

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Black spaces indicate the watch was not on. The gray bars indicate the watch was on, but the stand goal for that hour did not get met.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
I get credit for one hour of standing for 3:00, 4:00 and 5:00. If some lazy guy stands from 3:06 to 3:11, and then 4:54 to 5:06, he gets credit for three hours of standing. I've stood for three times the number of minutes than he has.

I don't believe the idea is to give us credit for an hour of standing. The idea is to get us up and around for just a minute or so once an hour. Stand is the gateway to Move, and to that end— not so dumb.

rangerdeyo

Trusted Member
Nov 24, 2016
Visit site
I don't believe the idea is to give us credit for an hour of standing. The idea is to get us up and around for just a minute or so once an hour. Stand is the gateway to Move, and to that end— not so dumb.

This. But if you move your watch arm enough while sitting, you will get credit for that hour. Conversely, if you dont move your watch arm enough while standing, you wont get credit. I've had mornings where I put my watch on at 3:45, start moving around the kitchen for 20 minutes making my breakfast and not gotten credit for the 3 o'clock hour.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site

Show me a study that shows that standing for a few minutes every hour is better than total movement per day, no matter when during the day that it happened, and I will believe you. I'd prefer instead a ring that shows cumulative non-exercise minutes standing/rolling during the day (with a goal of, say, 60 minutes) than what I think is an arbitrary measure of the number of hours when I "stand/roll enough" or not. (I hit the dumb ring every day, so this is not a personal issue for me. Just what I think is a poor measurement.)

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Show me a study that shows that standing for a few minutes every hour is better than total movement per day, no matter when during the day that it happened, and I will believe you. I'd prefer instead a ring that shows cumulative non-exercise minutes standing/rolling during the day (with a goal of, say, 60 minutes) than what I think is an arbitrary measure of the number of hours when I "stand/roll enough" or not. (I hit the dumb ring every day, so this is not a personal issue for me. Just what I think is a poor measurement.)

It’s aimed at the average American who spends the vast majority of the day sitting down. That’s why it’s an hourly thing. Myself, I’m on my feet 11+ hours a day.

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site

I doubt there is a study that shows standing 12 minutes per day is better than or even as good as 60 minutes of cumulative activity. BUT, I don't need a study to know that standing at least 1 minute per hour is better than not moving for 12 hours. As MacGuy notes, the purpose of the stand goal is to get us to get off our butt once an hour and for lots of people (not exactly what he said :)), that would be a measurable improvement.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
Show me a study that shows that standing for a few minutes every hour is better than total movement per day, no matter when during the day that it happened, and I will believe you.

I don't go to show you no stinkin' badges. And whether you believe me not matters not.

BUT, I don't need a study to know that standing at least 1 minute per hour is better than not moving for 12 hours.

^THIS. Apple is trying to motivate and a key to successful motivation is to not set the bar too high initially, or ever, for that matter. Stands are an easy way to start a process.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2