New Watch

madman76

Mar 28, 2017
Visit site
Thinking of getting an Apple Watch. Looking online and comparing the two, Series 2 only seems better in that it's "water resistant" and has built in GPS. Otherwise, compared to series 1 battery life the same, same processor, etc....

For $100 cheaper.... worth getting series 1?

Also I saw Watch OS4 coming out but are we not expecting a new hardware device this year and only software, assuming Apple won't surprise us?

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site
Hey @madman76 , iMore did a really nice blog post which showed all the differences between series 0 , 1 & 2.
Apple Watch Comparison Blog Post

The series 2 does have about 2x brighter screen (450 nits vs 1000 nits) The series 2 is also marginally heavier. Series 1 should get the updated WatchOS 4. So you won't be behind there.

If money is tight, then that $100 might be worth saving. You not missing out on a lot but having GPS might really help in the future if Apple rolls out specific apps that use it.

Last edited:

Snoweagle

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site
Hey @madman76 , iMore did a really nice blog post which showed all the differences between series 0 , 1 & 2.
Apple Watch Comparison Blog Post

The series 2 does have about 2x brighter screen (450 nits vs 1000 nits) The series 2 is also marginally heavier. Series 1 should get the updated WatchOS 4. So you won't be behind there.

If money is tight, then that $100 might be worth saving. You not missing out on a lot but having GPS might really help in the future if Apple rolls out specific apps that use it.

I have the original AW and now the Series 2. The Series 2's screen is brighter but definitely not 2 times, only a little bit.

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site
I have the original AW and now the Series 2. The Series 2's screen is brighter but definitely not 2 times, only a little bit.

In real world usage, i definitely agree it may not seem like it's double the brightness and only a little brighter but I'm sure Apple wouldnt lie to its customers about how bright the screen can go. I only said its 2x brighter because of the specs iMore posted and because it says 2x brighter on Apple's website :)
Screen Shot 2017-06-11 at 9.15.08 AM.png

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I believe that the series 2 will go as bright as 1000 nits only in the brightest ambient conditions (e.g., when you are outdoors at noon on a bright, sunny, summer day.) Otherwise it will adjust the brightness to fit the conditions, in order to save battery. So, you may be able to see the series 2 display more easily on a summer day than you would the series 1 or original watch.

Snoweagle

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site
In real world usage, i definitely agree it may not seem like it's double the brightness and only a little brighter but I'm sure Apple wouldnt lie to its customers about how bright the screen can go. I only said its 2x brighter because of the specs iMore posted and because it says 2x brighter on Apple's website :)
View attachment 118662

Yes I know Apple theoretically stated 2x brighter display but actual results isn't much like that. Though the difference can be seen, but it's just marginally brighter.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
I believe that the series 2 will go as bright as 1000 nits only in the brightest ambient conditions (e.g., when you are outdoors at noon on a bright, sunny, summer day.) Otherwise it will adjust the brightness to fit the conditions, in order to save battery.

I completely agree with that.

doogald said:
So, you may be able to see the series 2 display more easily on a summer day than you would the series 1 or original watch.

That bit not so much, at least not without the extra heavy emphasis on 'may'.

Yes I know Apple theoretically stated 2x brighter display but actual results isn't much like that. Though the difference can be seen, but it's just marginally brighter.

This has been my exact experience as well. Brightness was the main reason I bought the S2 as I thought it would look twice as bright as my AWs. I was definitely disappointed in that respect but as it was a color I didn't yet have and had GPS (which I've yet to use LOL) I don't regret the purchase. Had I a chance to try an S2 for a day or two, I would have bought an S1.

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I have multiple Watches. If you need the GPS (run or walk without your phone) or you are a swimmer then the S2 is the way to go. If not grab the S1. The few other differences don't warrant the additional cost.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal