Battery Life

timocrates

Jan 24, 2017
Visit site
I have the first general model, so maybe I'm out of place. Briefly, battery life is diminishing. Once I could charge the unit and forget about it until the end of the next day. Now ... well, I charged it fully at 9 AM and it was down to 20% by 3 PM.

Need to seek out a genius at the shop, I suppose.

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the question @timocrates , The Apple watch normally has pretty good battery life especially the Series 2.

The first thing I would say is, are you running the latest software on it? Have you loaded any new Apps over the past few days?

I only mention this because you said the battery life was good previously and sometimes, a new app can be the culprit. 😃

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Also keep in mind that if you are receiving more notifications on your Watch than normal, this will cause a faster battery drain.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
Need to seek out a genius at the shop, I suppose.

That would be a good idea if it's not too inconvenient. How long have you had the Watch?

An app that is constantly updating in the background or is misbehaving, can suck battery juice. High activity such as workouts or notifications can also suck up juice.

But using the Watch to below 50% puts on stress on the battery, both in use and in charging. And you go through charge cycles faster.

Apple measures battery life by looking at capacity and charge cycles, a cycle being a full discharge and full charge. Low capacity with lots of charge cycles is indicative of normal battery 'wear'. Loss of capacity and few charge cycles is indicative of a defective battery.

Apple considers a battery's useful life over when it reaches 80% of original capacity. At this point you should be noticing a quicker decline of daily battery life.

There are apps that can check this for the phone's battery. I imagine Apple can to the same for the Watch.

timocrates

Jan 24, 2017
Visit site
Thanks one and all. Let me be more specific.

It's a model 0, first edition, bought December 2015. The only new app is my sleep monitor, which works through the night gauging pulse and sleep quality. I've been using this one for a couple months now, and recently the drain began. Last night the app did not function and the battery began with 100% and was in foul trouble this morning.

I'll just reset it and see if that helps. I have had a year and a half nearly of constant use so maybe it's just old like me.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
I'll just reset it and see if that helps.

That's probably a good start.

Are you at watchOS 3.2 or better? If so you could use the Theater Mode in Control Center (lower left icon) to turn off Raise to Wake when you sleep. You might see an improvement in battery life if you toss and turn much.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like there's an app that may be the culprit. Anything downloaded on the watch recently?

timocrates

Jan 24, 2017
Visit site
Sounds like there's an app that may be the culprit. Anything downloaded on the watch recently?

You are right! I think I nailed down my sleep monitor, Autosleep. Apparently it was working overtime. The watch was fully charged at 6:00 AM with the sleep study disabled and at 5:30 I have 54% left. Back in class again.

Thanks to all who helped!

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
You are right! I think I nailed down my sleep monitor, Autosleep. Apparently it was working overtime. The watch was fully charged at 6:00 AM with the sleep study disabled and at 5:30 I have 54% left. Back in class again.

Thanks to all who helped!

Nice! Glad you found it. How did you figure it out?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2