Smart Bands on the way?!?!

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
Given BGR's ambivilent relationship with Apple along with their accuracy record on rumor reporting, I'll wait on even speculating about this rumor.

Right off the top they talk about the Watch being 'now in it's second generation'. So I'll contain my enthusiasm for the time being.

Shifting from a fitness product to a health product (glucose monitoring, et al) required FDA approval/certification. If Apple has already obtained it, that's one secret they actually managed to keep secret.

I wish Apple luck. Non-invasive glucose monitoring alone would be a game changer for millions of people. And Apple could use a hit. :laughing:

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Right off the top they talk about the Watch being 'now in it's second generation'. So I'll contain my enthusiasm for the time being.
Apple goofed by calling it Series 2 when it was the 3rd version. Probably should have had the original be series 1 and then the next two be 2 and 3.

Series 1 and 2 came out at the same time, which would technically make them the same generation, though with different features.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Apple goofed by calling it Series 2 when it was the 3rd version. Probably should have had the original be series 1 and then the next two be 2 and 3.

Series 1 and 2 came out at the same time, which would technically make them the same generation, though with different features.

In my opinion there are only two generations. The series one is just the original with an updated processor. It would be like calling the iPhone 5c, which became the old generation available for $100 less phone in place of the 5 when the 5s came out, a new generation of iPhone. It wasn't. Like the 5c and 5, the original generation came out in slightly different form as a lower cost alternative while the previous devices were shelved. Not a new generation.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site

Technically, it would anthropomorphically make them the same generation, because that's what we do with inanimate objects.

I was being too literal so colloquially speaking, as is what we usually do, I'll give you that one. :)

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Technically, it would anthropomorphically make them the same generation, because that's what we do with inanimate objects.

I was being too literal so colloquially speaking, as is what we usually do, I'll give you that one. :)

I don't know what the heck you're talking about but okay, you win ;) lol

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
In my opinion there are only two generations. The series one is just the original with an updated processor. It would be like calling the iPhone 5c, which became the old generation available for $100 less phone in place of the 5 when the 5s came out, a new generation of iPhone. It wasn't. Like the 5c and 5, the original generation came out in slightly different form as a lower cost alternative while the previous devices were shelved. Not a new generation.

Your argument doesn't work. The iPhone 5C shared it's internals, including the processor, with the iPhone 5, it just had a different outer (plastic) case; while the iPhone 5S had a new processor. This is why the 5S will be getting iOS 11 and the 5C will not.

This is also why the Series 1 is second generation and not first. It is the dual core processor in the Series 1 that will likely allow it to keep getting WatchOS updates longer than the original watch -- it should keep getting updates for the same length of time as the Series 2. To me, this would make the Series 1 and 2 the same generation.