Apple Watch out sells Fitbits

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I read somewhere, not exactly sure where as I can't find the article, that since Apple introduced the Apple Watch, it's out sold smartwatches as well as "regular" watches, and everyone else sales are down approx 20%, so it really doesn't surprise that it's out selling the FitBit brand. I could only imagine if Apple had released the Apple Watch with a reasonable price tag initially. Their Apple Watch sales numbers would probably be much better.

Last edited:

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I read somewhere, not exactly sure where as I can't find the article, that since Apple introduced the Apple Watch, it's out sold smartwatches as well as "regular" watches, and everyone else sales are down approx 20%, so it really doesn't surprise that it's out selling the FitBit brand. I could only imagine if Apple had released the Apple Watch with a reasonable price tag initially. They're Apple Watch sales numbers would probably be much better.

Agreed. Every week some retailer is offering a sale on the Series 1 and now Best Buy with the Series 2 at $70 off. I think it brings both versions down to where more people can afford it or at least justify giving it a shot. No better advertising than seeing someone wearing an Apple Watch, ask how they like it and they spend the next 10 minutes going into detail about all the things they love about it. It was a total stranger that pushed me over the edge to give the watch a third shot. He was about the 5-6 stranger that I had run into that I asked about the watch. After hearing the different ways people were using it, I had to try again. I am glad I did.

rangerdeyo

Trusted Member
Nov 24, 2016
Visit site
Agreed. Every week some retailer is offering a sale on the Series 1 and now Best Buy with the Series 2 at $70 off. I think it brings both versions down to where more people can afford it or at least justify giving it a shot. No better advertising than seeing someone wearing an Apple Watch, ask how they like it and they spend the next 10 minutes going into detail about all the things they love about it. It was a total stranger that pushed me over the edge to give the watch a third shot. He was about the 5-6 stranger that I had run into that I asked about the watch. After hearing the different ways people were using it, I had to try again. I am glad I did.

Target and Macys have the Series 1 on sale for the same $70 off. And you are right, seeing someone wear one is the best advertising. Colbert wears one on his talk show. Even my daughter has pointed out that some of the youtube people she watches are wearing one. Its a very distinctive look, especially the Nike bands.

Anyone I have talked to out in public about their watch have all said it was a good purchase.

Carjackd

Trusted Member
Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
Is anyone making any money yet on smart watches tho? However , the device is gaining traction . Seeing more and more smart watches out in the wild

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Is anyone making any money yet on smart watches tho? However , the device is gaining traction . Seeing more and more smart watches out in the wild

I don't know for sure, but if I had to guess, I would say Apple is probably the only company making money on Smartwatches. I don't see how anyone else would be. Maybe Samsung, but I have not heard how well their watches are selling. They are nice, but I don't think they have the appeal of the Apple Watch and certainly not the 3rd party support.

Carjackd

Trusted Member
Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
I don't know for sure, but if I had to guess, I would say Apple is probably the only company making money on Smartwatches. I don't see how anyone else would be. Maybe Samsung, but I have not heard how well their watches are selling. They are nice, but I don't think they have the appeal of the Apple Watch and certainly not the 3rd party support.
It may even be a loss leader for them too as they continue to grab market share as smart watches (in a most cases ) are in the early adoption stages. It's been a long process to get consumers to adopt

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
It may even be a loss leader for them too as they continue to grab market share as smart watches (in a most cases ) are in the early adoption stages. It's been a long process to get consumers to adopt

Maybe. I don't know how much some of the others are even selling for. I had a Samsung S2 and I think I paid around $200 for that about a year or so ago. If you can get them out in the public and people actually like them, it's great advertising.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I heard that Tag Heuer's smartwatch was very successful/profitable for them - so much so that they continued on with a new idea. That's a pretty high-end audience. (I like their idea - originally, a smartwatch that you can trade in for a mechanical watch later on, and now a smartwatch that you can swap in a mechanical movement when you want to.)

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site

I'd be shocked if Apple watch was not making BIG money. Apple's not known for selling loss leaders.

rangerdeyo

Trusted Member
Nov 24, 2016
Visit site
Apple has the advantage because they control both the hardware and software. All of the other vendors have multiple software and hardware configurations to deal with. Plus they want to make their watches available to iPhone users. Apple isnt concerned with Android users being able to use their watch. Which does cut out a large chunk of the market. Apparently it isnt hurting them too much.

Carjackd

Trusted Member
Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
I'd be shocked if Apple watch was not making BIG money. Apple's not known for selling loss leaders.
Maybe loss leader is not the term I should have used. . Consumers are not grabbing on to smart watches like they have with hand helds and tablets . It's a slower grind but it's getting there. Even if the profits are slim I think Apple is pushing this for hope of what is to come.

Carjackd

Trusted Member
Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
I think avid enthusiasts (i.e., everyone at iMore!) will upgrade watches more frequently than iPads.
Everyone is different. Although I haven't jumped on the smart watch band wagon I can say with respect to my phone I dump it as soon as the next one is released . Although some will expect to get numerous years out of a device. The same goes for smart watches ...some want the next big thing

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
For me, my plan is to upgrade when Apple stops developing an OS update for my hardware. So, probably close to when I upgrade my iPad.

My plan is to tell myself I'm not going to upgrade unless the improvements are major. And then, I'm probably going to upgrade regardless. :cool:

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
It may even be a loss leader for them

I don't think Apple buys into the loss leader concept. The closest to that is their practice of giving products to high profile people/shows for product placement.

They may not be making money on the Watches yet until they've sold xx amount but that's not the same as being a loss leader product. That's the advantage of having significant cachet along with a product they have faith in.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal