Apple Watch out sells Fitbits

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
With no other information other than numbers, I'll opine it's probably due to the Watch's utility as opposed to superiority over Fitbit, not that there's anything wrong with that.

I'm not at all familiar with Fitbit or its strength and weaknesses. But it's cheaper than the Watch, so it's interesting that the Watch outsold it.

I'm ok with that. :laughing:

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
With no other information other than numbers, I'll opine it's probably due to the Watch's utility as opposed to superiority over Fitbit, not that there's anything wrong with that.

I'm not at all familiar with Fitbit or its strength and weaknesses. But it's cheaper than the Watch, so it's interesting that the Watch outsold it.

I'm ok with that. :laughing:

It is interesting. I'm actually a little surprised. I see a ton of Fitbit's out there. Maybe they are all older models though. I have the Charge 2 and I initially had a hard time switching, but with the help of some people in this forum, I was able to get what I needed fitness wise from the Apple Watch and have all the additional benefits that it has over a Fitbit.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
I was able to get what I needed fitness wise from the Apple Watch and have all the additional benefits that it has over a Fitbit.

Boom! (I NEVER say that out loud or even in my head.) My feeling exactly. I am hoping that Apple will include a step goal. I don't know if that's agrees with their philosophy but there seems to be a lot of demand for it. I think it's a highly motivational metric for a lot of people.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Boom! (I NEVER say that out loud or even in my head.) My feeling exactly. I am hoping that Apple will include a step goal. I don't know if that's agrees with their philosophy but there seems to be a lot of demand for it. I think it's a highly motivational metric for a lot of people.

Lol. Thanks. Yeah I know a lot people like that step count. I'm not sure just how valuable that really is. I actually liked all the other info that the Fitbit gathered better than the steps. I guess even a slow walk is better than sitting on the couch though so there is some value to counting steps.

I actually think I like the Apple Watch approach better though. I need to do something to get my heart rate up and burn some calories in order to reach my move goal. From a fitness perspective, that seems more useful. Hey, whatever works though. It does track steps so maybe they will let you set a goal at some point.

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site

It would be nice if you could have step challenges as the Fitbit has.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
cwbcpa said:
I guess even a slow walk is better than sitting on the couch though so there is some value to counting steps.

Exactly. Not everybody is capable of a more aggressive fitness regimen. Steps is an easy, simple, easy to understand metric compared to Apple's rings which aren't immediately clear to a lot of people.

It's far from a perfect one, and a walk doesn't have to be slow or a power walk, to be of some value. I don't count steps myself. I'm too busy watching the rings. And I don't do much of that. LOL But being able to set a goal would be an additional motivator.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Exactly. Not everybody is capable of a more aggressive fitness regimen. Steps is an easy, simple, easy to understand metric compared to Apple's rings which aren't immediately clear to a lot of people.

It's far from a perfect one, and a walk doesn't have to be slow or a power walk, to be of some value. I don't count steps myself. I'm too busy watching the rings. And I don't do much of that. LOL But being able to set a goal would be an additional motivator.

Agreed. Plus as tcuprof mentioned, those step challenge groups are nice with the FitBit app. I know a lot of people that do groups like that. I think it wouldn't be hard for Apple to expand on what they have started on the AW with sharing.

rangerdeyo

Trusted Member
Nov 24, 2016
Visit site
Steps are a good metric for most people day to day. Especially for those with desk jobs. But someone who works in the field, 10,000 steps might be a slow day.

I like the fact that I can do different types of workouts and track them with 3rd party apps. And I get credit to my exercise and activity rings. The one nice thing about the sharing capability of the watch is you can see what the other people are doing for activity and whether or not they are closing their rings. Challenges where you can see who can do the most minutes of exercise or earn the 2x, 3x activity achievements would level the playing field.

I did yoga today and still closed all my rings. And I probably wont hit 10,0000 steps today.

IMG_6971.jpg IMG_6972.PNG

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I think it took a bit of time for some people to get an understanding of what the Watch does, and with the increase in television ads and a reasonable price point, especially for Series 1 watches, I'm not surprised that it is outselling the Fitbit products right now.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I like the fact that I can do different types of workouts and track them with 3rd party apps. And I get credit to my exercise and activity rings.

Just for everyone's information - I never use the workout or any third party apps and my watch still recognizes my activity as exercise and fills the rings appropriately.

rangerdeyo

Trusted Member
Nov 24, 2016
Visit site
Just for everyone's information - I never use the workout or any third party apps and my watch still recognizes my activity as exercise and fills the rings appropriately.

True. But you have to walk or move a sustained amount before it registers. I have had times where I was cooking a large meal and moving about in the kitchen and had my stand notification go off. Seriously? I've been walking around cooking for the past 30-45 minutes and it didnt register?

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
True. But you have to walk or move a sustained amount before it registers.
Not in my experience. My activity and exercise rings are dead-on right and consistent. I'll go out for a 5 mile run and, like clockwork, at 30 minutes on my Garmin I'll get the exercise ring filled notification on the Apple Watch (yes, I run while wearing both an AW and a Garmin), and the activity ring notification will happen when I hit roughly 4.5 miles (at the current 630 cals).

I have had times where I was cooking a large meal and moving about in the kitchen and had my stand notification go off. Seriously? I've been walking around cooking for the past 30-45 minutes and it didnt register?
Yes, the stand ring is the only confounding one of the three for me. I find it the least useful. I'll occasionally get the you haven't stood notification at 10 minutes before the hour as I am standing somewhere, as I have been for the last 10 minutes plus.

rangerdeyo

Trusted Member
Nov 24, 2016
Visit site
Not in my experience. My activity and exercise rings are dead-on right and consistent. I'll go out for a 5 mile run and, like clockwork, at 30 minutes on my Garmin I'll get the exercise ring filled notification on the Apple Watch (yes, I run while wearing both an AW and a Garmin), and the activity ring notification will happen when I hit roughly 4.5 miles (at the current 630 cals).

That is what I mean by sustained movement. If you are working at a desk, get up and walk to the copier and back or to the bathroom, depending on your pace and amount of time you are walking, you may not get anything to register on the exercise ring.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
That is what I mean by sustained movement. If you are working at a desk, get up and walk to the copier and back or to the bathroom, depending on your pace and amount of time you are walking, you may not get anything to register on the exercise ring.
I don't consider that exercise, so I'm ok with that. Movement during the day is superb, but it's not necessarily exercise.

Apple's definition of movement of the exercise ring requires activity that meets or exceeds a brisk walk: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204517

See also Apple Watch and activity tracking: 5 things you need to know! | iMore

rangerdeyo

Trusted Member
Nov 24, 2016
Visit site
I don't consider that exercise, so I'm ok with that. Movement during the day is superb, but it's not necessarily exercise.

Apple's definition of movement of the exercise ring requires activity that meets or exceeds a brisk walk: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204517

See also Apple Watch and activity tracking: 5 things you need to know! | iMore

That is good info. And it highlights my point. Unless you are swinging your arm with the watch on it, no exercise gets registered. So you may be moving around a lot, but not getting credit depending on what you are doing with your watch hand. Thats why when you go out running, even though you dont use any apps on the watch or phone, you are getting exercise credit.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
That is good info. And it highlights my point. Unless you are swinging your arm with the watch on it, no exercise gets registered. So you may be moving around a lot, but not getting credit depending on what you are doing with your watch hand. Thats why when you go out running, even though you dont use any apps on the watch or phone, you are getting exercise credit.

I could be wrong, but I don't think it has anything to do with your watch hand moving. The Apple Watch interprets exercise as something you are doing beyond normal movement to raise your heart rate. Getting up from my desk and walking to the copier or the bathroom is not exercise and I would not want it to be recorded as such. That is simply movement and will help close your hourly move ring and add to your overall move ring, but not the exercise ring. If I go on a brisk walk outside or around the office (assuming you have a big office), then it would consider that exercise as your heart rate is probably elevated. All of these things are going to vary from person to person since the Watch learns more about each person as you wear it longer.

rangerdeyo

Trusted Member
Nov 24, 2016
Visit site
I could be wrong, but I don't think it has anything to do with your watch hand moving. The Apple Watch interprets exercise as something you are doing beyond normal movement to raise your heart rate. Getting up from my desk and walking to the copier or the bathroom is not exercise and I would not want it to be recorded as such. That is simply movement and will help close your hourly move ring and add to your overall move ring, but not the exercise ring. If I go on a brisk walk outside or around the office (assuming you have a big office), then it would consider that exercise as your heart rate is probably elevated. All of these things are going to vary from person to person since the Watch learns more about each person as you wear it longer.

For the activity ring (red) you are correct. Just your normal walking around during the day will help close that ring. The exercise ring is actual activity above and beyond normal walking. Which makes sense. But unless you are using an app or swinging your arms frequently, the watch doesnt know. Per Apple:

Earn Exercise and Move credit

Every full minute of movement that equals or exceeds the intensity of a brisk walk counts toward your daily Exercise and Move goals. For wheelchair users, this is measured in brisk pushes. Any activity below this level counts only toward your daily Move goal.

Make sure that you earn Exercise credit during walks by allowing the arm with your Apple Watch to swing naturally. For example, while walking your pet, let the arm with your watch swing freely while the other holds the leash.

If you need both hands while walking, for example to push a stroller, you can still earn Exercise credit by using the Workout app. The Activity app relies on arm motion and an accelerometer to track movement, but the Workout app can use the accelerometer, a heart rate sensor, and the GPS on your iPhone if you carry it with you. Open the Workout app on your Apple Watch, tap Outdoor Walk, and bring your iPhone on the walk.

So if you are pushing a stroller for 30 minutes, you probable wont get 30 minutes of exercise unless you are also running an app.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
For the activity ring (red) you are correct. Just your normal walking around during the day will help close that ring. The exercise ring is actual activity above and beyond normal walking. Which makes sense. But unless you are using an app or swinging your arms frequently, the watch doesnt know. Per Apple:

Earn Exercise and Move credit

Every full minute of movement that equals or exceeds the intensity of a brisk walk counts toward your daily Exercise and Move goals. For wheelchair users, this is measured in brisk pushes. Any activity below this level counts only toward your daily Move goal.

Make sure that you earn Exercise credit during walks by allowing the arm with your Apple Watch to swing naturally. For example, while walking your pet, let the arm with your watch swing freely while the other holds the leash.

If you need both hands while walking, for example to push a stroller, you can still earn Exercise credit by using the Workout app. The Activity app relies on arm motion and an accelerometer to track movement, but the Workout app can use the accelerometer, a heart rate sensor, and the GPS on your iPhone if you carry it with you. Open the Workout app on your Apple Watch, tap Outdoor Walk, and bring your iPhone on the walk.

So if you are pushing a stroller for 30 minutes, you probable wont get 30 minutes of exercise unless you are also running an app.

Thanks for clarifying. I see that the way I said it indicated that movement of the watch didn't matter at all. That wasn't what I meant. I am glad you shared all of that info. I don't think that I have actually read all of that before. I ride a stationary bike sometimes for cardio, but I use the workout app so that is why that gets recorded. These conversations are certainly helping me to get more from the Watch. Thanks again!

rangerdeyo

Trusted Member
Nov 24, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for clarifying. I see that the way I said it indicated that movement of the watch didn't matter at all. That wasn't what I meant. I am glad you shared all of that info. I don't think that I have actually read all of that before. I ride a stationary bike sometimes for cardio, but I use the workout app so that is why that gets recorded. These conversations are certainly helping me to get more from the Watch. Thanks again!

doogald actually posted the info, so thank you to him. It did confirm what I have experienced in my 20 months with an Apple Watch.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR