Brightness Question, Series 2

Floridadomer

Mar 19, 2013
Visit site
I purchased an Apple Series 1 yesterday from Best Buy. When I got home, I was shocked at the lack of brightness it had. I had asked the sales guy what were the differences and while he explained some, he did not tell me the Series 2 was capable of being much brighter. So, I went back today and bought the Nike Version. To me, even cranked up all the way, it isn’t much brighter than the series one is. After spending some time Googling this issue, it appears that the series 2 has an auto brightness sensor. Is there is anyway to turn this off?
I have not the best eyes and having it as bright as possible is best for me.
I just left Android and had the Moto 360 and the Samsung Frontier. They were perfect for me with the brightness cranked up all the way.
Please if anyone know how I can make this thing any brighter or turn the auto brightness off, please please tell me.
Thank you for your time,
Deano

PS, if anybody is interested, the series 2 is 70.00 off at Best Buy.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Check the Brightness setting via the Watch app.

Last edited:

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I purchased an Apple Series 1 yesterday from Best Buy. When I got home, I was shocked at the lack of brightness it had. I had asked the sales guy what were the differences and while he explained some, he did not tell me the Series 2 was capable of being much brighter. So, I went back today and bought the Nike Version. To me, even cranked up all the way, it isn’t much brighter than the series one is. After spending some time Googling this issue, it appears that the series 2 has an auto brightness sensor. Is there is anyway to turn this off?
I have not the best eyes and having it as bright as possible is best for me.
I just left Android and had the Moto 360 and the Samsung Frontier. They were perfect for me with the brightness cranked up all the way.
Please if anyone know how I can make this thing any brighter or turn the auto brightness off, please please tell me.
Thank you for your time,
Deano

PS, if anybody is interested, the series 2 is 70.00 off at Best Buy.

dd5f11d799f94ba47d01f47833afbcbb.png

You can adjust the brightness and font size to help. I had the Series 1 and now have the Nike+ Series 2 and there is a big difference in brightness. Especially out in the sun. I didn't think the Series 1 was bad, but the Series 2 is excellent.

Floridadomer

Mar 19, 2013
Visit site
I am sorry, I should have stated in my post that I have already turned up the brightness to 100%.
I watched a video and the watch on the video was much brighter than mine. Maybe I have a bad one?

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I am sorry, I should have stated in my post that I have already turned up the brightness to 100%.
I watched a video and the watch on the video was much brighter than mine. Maybe I have a bad one?

Maybe. I'd take it to the Apple Store if you have one near you. If you have it all the way up and it's not bright, it doesn't sound right. I keep mine a little over halfway and it's more than enough even in bright sunlight.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
To me, even cranked up all the way, it isn’t much brighter than the series one is. ...
Please if anyone know how I can make this thing any brighter

You can't.

The AWS2's 1000nits is not much brighter as perceived by the eye than the AWS1's 450nits. It just isn't. The amount of power needed to increase brightness is similar to the amount needed to increase sound— it's more logarithmic than linear. It's just the way our eyes and ears work, compared to electronic measuring instruments. In some circumstances the brightness will be more easily noted, but it's not a significant difference, at least not where most of us really want it.

The increase brightness of the S2 over my AW was the single biggest reason I wanted one. I seldom see the difference, and only in reduced lighting. Expecting to see the difference in bright ambient light will be a disappointment to most people.

I still like and wear the S2 but won't bother replacing any of my AWs with it, at least not until there're better sales, i.e. $100 off. There is the GPS and waterproof rating of the S2 that will be important to some, just not to me.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
You can't.

The AWS2's 1000nits is not much brighter as perceived by the eye than the AWS1's 450nits. It just isn't. The amount of power needed to increase brightness is similar to the amount needed to increase sound— it's more logarithmic than linear. It's just the way our eyes and ears work, compared to electronic measuring instruments. In some circumstances the brightness will be more easily noted, but it's not a significant difference, at least not where most of us really want it.

The increase brightness of the S2 over my AW was the single biggest reason I wanted one. I seldom see the difference, and only in reduced lighting. Expecting to see the difference in bright ambient light will be a disappointment to most people.

I still like and wear the S2 but won't bother replacing any of my AWs with it, at least not until there're better sales, i.e. $100 off. There is the GPS and waterproof rating of the S2 that will be important to some, just not to me.

Boy I sure notice the difference. I didn't have an issue with brightness on the original or series 1 so it wasn't even a reason that I wanted the Series 2. It was, however, one of the first things I noticed and comparing side by side with the original Apple Watch I notice the difference in pretty much any lighting situation. Everyone's eyes are different so maybe I happen to notice it more, but I know I'm not the only one. Because of that extra brightness, the screen appears crisper, for lack of a better word. I know the quality is the same, but it's definitely easier to read.

Just the way it is through my eyes.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I never had issues with my Series 0 screen brightness. It was just fine for me. My Nike+ is brighter, but it was not the reason I upgraded. I agree that everyone's eyes are different and perceive things differently. To me, both models were fine for my eyes and my needs.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73