Sleep tracking app

jaleelhamid

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
I just want to know what sleeping app do you guys use? With so many out their, how does a person know how accurate it is? I sleep with my watch on and currently I use auto sleep. What I liked about auto sleep is I never need to turn it on before bed, it automatically detects when I'm sleeping and starts to monitor, also it scans your heart rate too while asleep... So what do you use and do you think it's accurate ?

thejasonhowell

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
I just want to know what sleeping app do you guys use? With so many out their, how does a person know how accurate it is? I sleep with my watch on and currently I use auto sleep. So what do you use and do you think it's accurate ?

I use Pillow. I have no idea how accurate it is.

Beards

Dec 8, 2015
Visit site
AutoSleep:- Once set up there's no further effort required on your part, just leave the watch on your wrist and forget it. There's also the added benefit that it's one less app running on your watch for both battery and processor hit and storage.

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I have tested almost ALL of the sleep apps and AutoSleep is by far the best. Once you set it up you just roll with it. Works great!

Beards

Dec 8, 2015
Visit site
Ok, so how do you guys use the data gathered?

AutoSleep lets me see if I am getting quality sleep, deep sleep and the amount of restless.
It also displays my heart rate with elevated percentage which was spot on the other night when I woke from a nightmare.
All of this 'plus' if you purchase HeartWatch by the same dev it links AutoSleep and HeartWatch together giving you a better understanding of your vitals including regular, waking, workout & sleep heartbeats and much more...

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
AutoSleep lets me see if I am getting quality sleep, deep sleep and the amount of restless.
It also displays my heart rate with elevated percentage which was spot on the other night when I woke from a nightmare.
All of this 'plus' if you purchase HeartWatch by the same dev it links AutoSleep and HeartWatch together giving you a better understanding of your vitals including regular, waking, workout & sleep heartbeats and much more...

And then? So it tells you that you've not slept well, what next?

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
Beards said:

I get all that. But that's merely data gathering. My question was/is how do you use that data? Gathering intel is all well and good. But that's nothing more than a novelty if it can't be utilized.

This is why I stopped using a sleep app. What I want is a somatic inducer.

Beards

Dec 8, 2015
Visit site
And then? So it tells you that you've not slept well, what next?

I get all that. But that's merely data gathering. My question was/is how do you use that data? Gathering intel is all well and good. But that's nothing more than a novelty if it can't be utilized.

I appreciate that to some users having this data and information may on the surface appear pointless. However, there are a number who regard this data as a way to gather a further understanding and thus live a better life.
Part of my daily program requires finding the right balance with health, energy and mindfulness. If I can achieve any part of this using simple tools then that gives in general greater freedom of movement.

jaleelhamid

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
I appreciate that to some users having this data and information may on the surface appear pointless. However, there are a number who regard this data as a way to gather a further understanding and thus live a better life.
Part of my daily program requires finding the right balance with health, energy and mindfulness. If I can achieve any part of this using simple tools then that gives in general greater freedom of movement.

Well said

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

I never said it was pointless. Just asking "what do you do with the data?"

I can get up and know I slept like crap. You have more data than I do but what do you do with it? That's what we are trying to get from you. :)

Beards

Dec 8, 2015
Visit site

I can get up and know I slept like crap. You have more data than I do but what do you do with it? That's what we are trying to get from you. :)
I understand your request but it is a little difficult to fully explain why I gather the health data and then convey what I actually do with said data. This is solely because it is quite personal. All I will say is I suffer from a certain medical condition which requires certain vitals to be monitored on an hourly level.
Whilst I have other medical tools to assist in this gathering it is though sometimes clumsy and inconvenient to be at the mercy of said tools. As such being able to utilise software with just an iPhone and Apple Watch can be of a great benefit. Please note:- These said software tools are merely an 'added' method of investigation.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I understand your request but it is a little difficult to fully explain why I gather the health data and then convey what I actually do with said data. This is solely because it is quite personal. All I will say is I suffer from a certain medical condition which requires certain vitals to be monitored on an hourly level.
Fair enough -- sorry to seem like I was badgering. I've had data before, but just never did anything at all with it, so I was curious. I don't sleep with my  Watch for that reason (never did anything with it)

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site

I can get up and know I slept like crap. You have more data than I do but what do you do with it? That's what we are trying to get from you.

Well said. Like you, I'd like to know what do do with this data. I stopped wearing my Watch at night and using a sleep at because once I came to an impasse. I just didn't know how to put that data to use.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Well said. Like you, I'd like to know what do do with this data. I stopped wearing my Watch at night and using a sleep at because once I came to an impasse. I just didn't know how to put that data to use.

I think for regular people without a medical issue, probably not much. Maybe a new pillow? ;)

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site

I use the sleep tracker in my Fitbit and I'm thinking about giving the Apple Watch another shot.

The data from sleep tracking by itself is nothing more than just that...data. It's when you look at the rest of your data that it paints the whole picture for me. I track my food on MyFitnessPal and I track my workouts on a couple apps. It doesn't really matter what you use to gather the data. What I look at is if I had a crappy night of sleep, did I eat poorly that day? Did I miss a workout or change my workout? Was I stressed about work or something. I think it's all the data that you have to look at. All of those things effect sleep. Could you know those things without gathering all that data? Maybe but I think it's easier to take advantage of technology to do it.

It might not make sense to everyone and some might view it as a waste of time. It does work for me though.

I hope that helps.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73