Are you saving up for an Apple Watch Series 3?

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
That's pretty much a common theme in this thread.

The Watch really isn't something that I'd imagine needs an annual upgrade or even a two year upgrade. Something every three years seems just right. And only if the technology upgrades require it, in my opinion.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
Quis89 said:
The Watch really isn't something that I'd imagine needs an annual upgrade or even a two year upgrade.

As it applies to smartwatches, I'd say most people feel the same way. The main reason most people spend money on an upgrade is because there is something of significance that gives them an ROI. With smartwatch tech, that will be slower in coming than in other categories.

Smartwatches are as yet a nascent product category. Even fitness bands fall short of ubiquity. Either we get used to wearing a large lump of tech on our wrists, or we wait for battery tech to take a huge leap forward so we can see some real advances in what we can expect from a smartwatch.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I just got the Nike+ Series 2 so it is highly unlikely that I will get the Series 3. About the only thing that would get me to consider it would be 3-4 day battery life and that is highly unlikely.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I honestly am not interested in a new Apple Watch unless the next one brings something that I just can't live without. I'm extremely happy with what I've got.

I have the first one and only thing I can really think of would be speed. Even with watchOS 3 it's a bit pokey for me. OK for notifications but for any apps it's not quite there yet (IMO)

Snoweagle

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site
I was 'forced' to purchase the Series 2 nearly a week back after repeated issues of my first gen having the rear sensor panel dislodging off from my charging stand. Initially also wanted to wait until the Series 3.

If the Series 3 has more significant upgrades over Series 2, I'll still upgrade. Else, will be just my current Series 2.

Snoweagle

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site
I was 'forced' to purchase the Series 2 nearly a week back after repeated issues of my first gen having the rear sensor panel dislodging off from my charging stand. Initially also wanted to wait until the Series 3.

If the Series 3 has more significant upgrades over Series 2, I'll still upgrade. Else, will be just my current Series 2.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
Apple has extended the warranty for first generation Watches that fail do to an expanding battery, to a total of three years.

Apparently the swelling can lift up the display, but I wonder if it's responsible for the backs of your Watch separating.

Snoweagle

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site
Apple has extended the warranty for first generation Watches that fail do to an expanding battery, to a total of three years.

Apparently the swelling can lift up the display, but I wonder if it's responsible for the backs of your Watch separating.

It's plausible.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

You could always sell the series 2 :)

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Still loving my original series 0? BUT I bought a Tic Watch 2 to go along with it, since I carry both Apple and Android phones and the Tic Watch works with both! :) Now I vary it up. I wear the tic on some days and the apple watch on others. 90% of the time I'm synced to the iPhone no matter WHAT watch I have on! I'm wearing the tic today paired to the iPhone. :)

ROSES5682

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
I've been waiting for Apple to track sleeping not through 3rd party apps. Currently have my Fitbit Charge 2 but this fall maybe time for my Apple Watch.

I'm in similar boat. I have a fitbit and I need to upgrade am holding off to see what the Apple Watch 3 offers before I make a decision.

flappah

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site
No, not planning on upgrading. Still got my series 1 which performs more than well so I likely stick to this one for 1 or 2 more years.

iGraph

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
If it supports simcards, absolutely yes :)

Cut it's related to iPhone a lot & if u go far away than that, u just have a watch! Not a smart watch

bikewolf

Nov 2, 2014
Visit site
I'm happy with my Series 1 and I think the only thing that would push me to a new watch is some great new hardware. Software wise I don't see a reason to upgrade.

My hardware wishlist-
Stronger glass-(i've cracked my watch twice)
Scratch resistant metal
More bands to match with the space grey sport
Bands with more functionality
Better battery life- You can only measure a certain number of exercises before you have to constantly charge your watch
it makes reaching you move goals more difficulty.
General wishlist-
auto beep for when the phone and watch travel to far apart. An e-chain of sorts
Auto-wrist rotation- I switch wrists every day

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Since series 2 solved much of the issues with the first gen, I'll have to wait and see what series 3 offers. First gen was awful. Series 2 solved a ton of things. I'll wait until series 3 is announced and go from there.

bones467

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
I am saving up for series 3 for sure, I currently have series 1 so think with the new model there will be a big improvement for me! Have a feeling I will be updating the watch the same cycle as my phone every 2 years.

ksassy

Mar 9, 2017
Visit site
I recently purchased my AW alum sport series 2 in June so I'm not looking to upgrade though I do want a SS to trade off between so I may consider a series 3 for that or a discounted series 2 depending on the new features of the series 3.

rayz336

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
I'll probably stick to my Series 1 for another generation unless they blow me away with the features they introduce on a Series 3 watch

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox