Why a screen protector and/or case on an Apple Watch?

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I see a good number of people scoff at the idea of screen protectors and cases on the Apple Watch. Why would you put your Apple Watch in a case? The screen is already tough, why would you put a screen protector on it? For one, Apple Watch's aren't exactly cheap and easily replaceable without Apple Care. And because this,

ae1e92456c3f502b5fbc3896c0e18f77.jpg

Yes, I know the image is upside down, iOS flipped it for some reason. Of course, it depends on your lifestyle, and job, whether or not you need a case or screen protector on your Apple Watch. For those of you scoffers out there, my screen protector just saved my Watch today. I don't even know what I hit it on.

erichards2

Apr 9, 2016
Visit site
I agree with the concept, but I don't find myself liking the tradeoff between looks and protection. I tried the armor suit screen/body skin protector, but it started to peel really bad after 1-2 months. I ask myself this, why do I want to "protect" this thing? Is it the resale value, looks, or something else? Resale value: by the time I would want to sell it, it'd be old/outdated/etc, better just to gift it to someone or use it until it breaks. Looks: in my opinion, putting a case and an ugly/peeling screen protector on it makes it look bad anyways. I can't really think of another reason.

On the other hand, if I worked in some field it a lot of risks to the watch (construction) or did a riskier exercise (rock climbing/mountain biking), I think it would be more justified.

The biggest "wear/tear" I've had on the watch is minor scratches on the screen and scratches on the corners of the watch body. This is after 1.5 years of daily wear during all activities.

Last edited:

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
My two cents: I have been wearing watches for a very long time and have never once thought "I really wish I had a case and a screen protector for this thing". I get that Apple Watch isn't just a watch but, at the end of the day, it's a watch above all else.
@metllicamilitia I'm glad your watch is safe but just because the screen protector cracked doesn't mean the Watch glass would have.

Then again, I'm a guy who rarely uses a case on my top of the line iPhone so maybe you shouldn't be taking advice from me.

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
Same. I have burned through Apple Care and still wanted protection on a very minimalistic device. I went with Armor Suit and I beat the crap out of thing watch now and no issues.

01a657856749a62829091c06fcffda59.jpg

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I agree with the concept, but I don't find myself liking the tradeoff between looks and protection. I tried the armor suit screen/body skin protector, but it started to peel really bad after 1-2 months. I ask myself this, why do I want to "protect" this thing? Is it the resale value, looks, or something else? Resale value: by the time I would want to sell it, it'd be old/outdated/etc, better just to gift it to someone or use it until it breaks. Looks: in my opinion, putting a case and an ugly/peeling screen protector on it makes it look bad anyways. I can't really think of another reason.

On the other hand, if I worked in some field it a lot of risks to the watch (construction) or did a riskier exercise (rock climbing/mountain biking), I think it would be more justified.

The biggest "wear/tear" I've had on the watch is minor scratches on the screen and scratches on the corners of the watch body. This is after 1.5 years of daily wear during all activities.

Well, I do work on construction sites. That's why I went the route of extra protection. Other than today though, I haven't had any issues.

My two cents: I have been wearing watches for a very long time and have never once thought "I really wish I had a case and a screen protector for this thing". I get that Apple Watch isn't just a watch but, at the end of the day, it's a watch above all else.
@metllicamilitia I'm glad your watch is safe but just because the screen protector cracked doesn't mean the Watch glass would have.

Then again, I'm a guy who rarely uses a case on my top of the line iPhone so maybe you shouldn't be taking advice from me.

Considering today was scrambling around in tight ceiling spaces, I have a feeling I would have done something to the screen. I get your sentiment, on a regular watch I don't care. I use my Apple Watch all the time for information and notifications. If I had the extra funds readily available to buy a new one I wouldn't care as much. I didn't even have the funds for this one, I won mine in the iMore contest for it ha ha.

Thanks iMore!

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Same. I have burned through Apple Care and still wanted protection on a very minimalistic device. I went with Armor Suit and I beat the crap out of thing watch now and no issues.
Did you install it or did someone else?

When I first got mine, I tried putting them on. First install went ok (Sport) but I exchanged for a SS and could never get it to stay down. Difference in materials maybe?

I've hit it a handful of times and no issues so far... been 1-1/2 years.

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
Ya I installed it. Wet it down real good. Then squeegee the top flat face. Left the edge up for over night. Then rolled my finger over to have them stay. Had a few micro bubbles but they are now gone as you can see with in a few days.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Ya I installed it. Wet it down real good. Then squeegee the top flat face. Left the edge up for over night. Then rolled my finger over to have them stay. Had a few micro bubbles but they are now gone as you can see with in a few days.

Nice! I think I tried leaving the edges but don't have the patience to wait overnight but I'm sure that had a lot to do with it.

I have no problem doing phones but those steeply rounded edges of the watch were more than enough for me to give up on it.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Nice! I think I tried leaving the edges but don't have the patience to wait overnight but I'm sure that had a lot to do with it.

I have no problem doing phones but those steeply rounded edges of the watch were more than enough for me to give up on it.

Just use an iMore sticker as a screen protector.

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
I have a screen protector on my iWatch simply because the wrist is an exposed area and I do bump my hand and arm onto things. And I'd rather replace a $5~$20 piece of plastic than the deductible from AppleCare.

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I guess if it floats your boat then protect the screen of your Watch. I am the kind of guy who doesn't want one. I got the SS watch so I have the same sapphire display as on my other watches and so far I have been ok. But again your use will vary and like the OP said it depends on your activity level. I am a computer weenie so I am not lugging cinder blocks around all day. I am in the gym every day and pretty hard on my watch, but I am still not covering it.

Then there is my wife, I gave her a watch a week ago and she wants a case and screen protector for it ??????

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
I have a screen protector and case on my watch. In my line of work I'm always bumping and banging my watch on something.

IMG_0455.JPG

Chemy JMHT

VR ******
Sep 9, 2016
Visit site
I have a screen protector and case on my watch. In my line of work I'm always bumping and banging my watch on something.

View attachment 117560

I think this one is the one I would get (not an Apple Watch user so far) but I think from the first post here everything was told, it's a matter of lifestyle, I break everything I have because I do a lot of outdoors and I don't feel bad by wearing thing with the protection on it.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
Rob Phillips said:
but just because the screen protector cracked doesn't mean the Watch glass would have.

Arguing hypotheticals is a waste of time. The 'just because...' statement can be applied to cars, insurance, floatation devices, who knows what all.

A glass falls and bounces off the kitchen floor. It doesn't break on the first bounce but does on the second, smaller bounce. It's absorbed enough energy that it finally breaks the glass.

metllicamilitia's screen might not have cracked without the screen protector. Or— the screen protector was his Watch's crumple zone, absorbing some of the energy that transmitted to the crystal, would have otherwise cracked it. The other side of that 'just because...' statement.

I wore watches of different types for year and never thought abut screen or case protection— because there wasn't any. It wasn't an option and was a way of life. I knew work watches would get damaged. Afterwork watches might too, but I tried to be careful.

If had only one Apple Watch it somehow it couldn't display the time but otherwise worked, I'd still wear it, and maybe one of my mechs. Because for me, at the end of the day, it's not just a watch.

I think wearing protection is a smart thing, but it's an individual choice. What other people do doesn't bother me.

tcuprof said:
Are any screen protectors as tough to scratch or break as the screen of the watch itself?

A protector that tough could just transmit the energy of the impact to the screen. It would take some testing to determine if that was bad or if it added resistance against breaking.

I say use protection or don't, whatever makes you happy. It's not for me to judge.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2