Second hand "ticks" possible?

KenV54

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
Is there any way to make the second hand on any of the available analog watch faces "tick" the seconds as opposed to running in a smooth motion?

From my internet search it appears there isn't, but maybe there is a watch face that does permit that.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I don't see that option, the closest I can find is the Mickey face with his feet tapping. Sure that's not what you want though! ;)

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
At this time you can not. It does not mean an update in the future would do that though.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
It wouldn't seem to be difficult to do, technically, would it?

Not difficult at all, just a matter of tweaking software. I wouldn't bet on it happening, though. The linear sweep is usually found only on high-end watches.

I remember it on the original Bulova Accutron watches, and on Rolex watches, and I'm sure a few others. The Accutron's second hand would be indistinguishable from the Apple Watches continuous sweep. The Rolex would have about 7-8 ticks per second.

The jerky one tick per second hands are found on old, and inexpensive mechs and quartz movements. The smooth sweep movement is more a luxury feature, like Corinthian leather. (Yes, there's no such thing, but there's almost no such thing as a truly continuous sweep second hand on a wristwatch.)

KenV54

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
Not difficult at all, just a matter of tweaking software. I wouldn't bet on it happening, though. The linear sweep is usually found only on high-end watches.

I remember it on the original Bulova Accutron watches, and on Rolex watches, and I'm sure a few others. The Accutron's second hand would be indistinguishable from the Apple Watches continuous sweep. The Rolex would have about 7-8 ticks per second.

The jerky one tick per second hands are found on old, and inexpensive mechs and quartz movements. The smooth sweep movement is more a luxury feature, like Corinthian leather. (Yes, there's no such thing, but there's almost no such thing as a truly continuous sweep second hand on a wristwatch.)

I understand that the "jerky one tick per second hands" are a throwback to the cheap windup spring powered watches with a balance wheel and escapement mechanism.

What I want is the /option/ to have a simulated one tick per second action. Why? Because it permits a more nearly exact determination of the number of seconds passed.

And who might need that? (Note: a semipolitical statement follows.) Maybe a health care provider taking a pulse or listening to the heart in the old fashioned way, that is, by touching, that is auscultating and palpating, the patient. As both a patient and provider, I know that such a scenario has become increasingly rare.

But I digress. All I want is a one tick per second second hand on my beautiful Apple 42 S1 Rose Gold watch so that I can take a pulse on a patient with my own fingers.

I wonder why Apple hasn't recognized that need and provided that simple option.

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
At this time, your only solutions are the Activity Digital face or Mickey/Minnie. Your patients might actually get a kick out of you using a foot tapping mouse. :)

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
KenV54 said:
I wonder why Apple hasn't recognized that need and provided that simple option.

It's my belief that Apple probably has recognized that some people might want the typical tick... tick... tick... second hand and believed it to be unnecessary. I don't believe that type of movement offers any greater resolution than seeing the hand sweep past the indices without stopping. This might be true for a watch with a very small face, maybe.

I understand the desire to want what you want. I've seen a great many requests at several forums for various features that ultimately, don't have wide appeal. I'm not saying or implying that anybody shouldn't want different options. I am saying that given what's involved in writing software and evaluating what features should be made available vs what are wanted by many or few customers, I think Apple has done more planning and consideration than they're given credit for.

Maybe someone will write a haptic/Taptic app that give one a physical 'tick' as the second hand passes over each index. That might happen before Apple adopts the option you want.

KenV54

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
At this time, your only solutions are the Activity Digital face or Mickey/Minnie. Your patients might actually get a kick out of you using a foot tapping mouse. :)

The activity digital face isn't so bad! Thanks!

Mickey-Minnie--well, that might not go over so well, at least not universally.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73