DOCK for Apple Watch from Native Union

Jason Cockerham

Community Reviews Team Leader
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It's a dock. For your watch. Yay!

The Thing

Soooo, this is a dock, for your Apple Watch. It's a thing, that you put your Apple Watch on, to sit and charge.

Ok, there's a little more to it than that, but not much. It is very solidly built out of aluminum and matte silicon so it's much more durable than anything plastic. If you're familiar at all with Native Union products, you know that they are well made and look great and this dock is no exception. The colors are beautiful, but subtle so they will look nice on almost any nightstand or desk, and you can even get a midnight blue/gold combo and a rose gold color if you really want to match your watch. I was sent the space grey color and it looks great with my stainless steel Apple Watch.

When you open the DOCK (yes that's how it's spelled in the marketing materials. They really want you to pay attention), it actually comes in two pieces which you assemble together. The bottom of the dock houses a hexagonal magnet which allows you to set the position of the Apple Watch to the optimal viewing location on your nightstand. The top piece of the dock is a simple cylinder with a cutout for the Apple Watch charging cable. You then run the cable underneath the cylinder into the dock so it stays nice and out of the way of the watch. You then simply insert the cylinder into the dock at whichever position you prefer and there you have it! A simple and elegant dock for your Apple Watch. And since it is simply a magnet, the position is always adjustable.

Another interesting feature is that the dock is weighted in such a way that you could even stand it on it's side so the watch sits vertically on the dock as opposed to laying down. The only downside of that is that the watch will not display it's "Nightstand Mode" while sitting vertically, but if that doesn't bother you then so be it!

That's pretty much all there is too it! There's no inherently new features or gimmicks about this dock that you can't get from other docks, but the gorgeous and elegantly simple design of this one make it definitely one to put on your list.

Price

The price is the only part that's a little tough to swallow. At $60 (or $120 for the marble edition which is absolutely breathtaking, but still an eye watering price), this dock is certainly pricier than a lot of other great alternatives. However, the high quality build materials and simple yet modern design of this dock will make a lovely addition to any home or bedroom. You can get them directly from Native Union, Amazon, or even some Apple Stores.

Order here:
DOCK for Apple Watch - Weighted Charging Dock with Rotating Arm | Native Union

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Love the humorous tone. Great look at a solution for making life more pleasant. I agree docking your wearable is part of the good life. As you say, my nightstand has plenty of "rabble"that is best avoided.

Jason Cockerham

Community Reviews Team Leader
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Love the humorous tone. Great look at a solution for making life more pleasant. I agree docking your wearable is part of the good life. As you say, my nightstand has plenty of "rabble"that is best avoided.

Haha mine too man!! I've got waaaay too much stuff on there and most of it I don't really use on a regular basis lol. Maybe it's time to do some cleaning...

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
That's a nice looking dock but it just doesn't move me to consider spending $60 for it. No doubt that pricing is based on the fact that Watch owners by and large aren't the thriftiest shoppers and are not members of the 'a $10 Timex tells time just as well' club.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I like the stand but at $60 it has something to prove. I'm not sure I'd get any more from it than the $18 stand I bought when I first got my Apple Watch. Still, it's a nice option for those who are not so price sensitive and are looking for a horizontal charging solution.

Great review, as always!

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
Docks like this really make me wish we had the option of leaving the Nightstand Mode on all the time.

In general, I like the idea, but I think it would be tough on the Watch battery. Since my phone is always nearby, an option to ask Siri the time and have the Watch display it would work for me!

But ignoring any the technical considerations, it would be cool.

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
In general, I like the idea, but I think it would be tough on the Watch battery. Since my phone is always nearby, an option to ask Siri the time and have the Watch display it would work for me!

But ignoring any the technical considerations, it would be cool.

Maybe he means leaving it in Nightstand mode all the time WHEN it's on the dock, in which case battery wouldn't be an issue. I think I might like that.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Maybe he means leaving it in Nightstand mode all the time WHEN it's on the dock, in which case battery wouldn't be an issue. I think I might like that.

It'd be nice to be an option, but leaving the display on all of the time will slow the battery charging rate, as some power would be needed to light the display. In other words, the trade-off would be that your battery will charge slower if you have an always on nightstand mode.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
tcuprof said:

I assumed as much whenI posted. I am not a fan of constant charging if it can be avoided. It adds heat which may shorten battery life. Apple stated that their iPads will, when left on the charger after reaching 100% will discharge some what and rise back to 100%.

How they do this, I don't know. Possible securing the charge, whatever. The constant drain of the Night Stand mode would increase this churn. I can't know if this is the case with the Watch and if it would shorten the overall life of the battery.

If Apple never allows a constant Night Stand mode, I'll assume they have good reason. If they do, I'll assume the Watch won't be the worse for wear.