Displaying steps taken by the Apple Watch as a Complication

shodipo

Jun 14, 2016
Visit site
Hi guys
How can I display the number of steps taken by the Apple Watch as a complication on the Watch face?
Currently only the rings are displayed and that's not the information I really need front and center for a quick view during the day

shodipo

Jun 14, 2016
Visit site
Pedometer uses the data from the iPhone and not the Apple Watch
The developer says to carry the phone in the pocket
My job doesn't allow me to carry phones at work but I can use my watch
I can actually stay connected to my phone since the office wifi is in the whole building but we can't take our phones with us
I need an app that just displayed stats the Apple Watch takes

Beards

Dec 8, 2015
Visit site
Rather than slow your watch down or consume battery; why don't you simply use one of the modular watch faces that shows for example:- Cal/Min/Hour then if you tap on this compilation and swipe down it will then show you what you ask plus more.
I myself use this as my watch face, it shows everything I need including all the above plus Total Steps, Total Distance and any Workout Distances. You can even share it with friends to give you that added incentive to better your goals.

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
I can actually stay connected to my phone since the office wifi is in the whole building but we can't take our phones with us

Pedometer gets its data from the phone, but the phone gets its steps data from the watch. Therefore, Pedometer is effectively getting steps data from the watch.

IMO HealthFace is a better app for making steps (or anything else in the Health app) a complication.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
tcuprof said:
Therefore, Pedometer is effectively getting steps data from the watch.

I believe the step data for third party apps comes from the phone, not the Watch. Only Apple can access the Watch's step data, for now.

And the Apple Watch's pedometer doesn't have a complication for step data.

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
I believe the step data for third party apps comes from the phone, not the Watch. Only Apple can access the Watch's step data, for now.

Right. That's what I said. :) Pedometer gets its data from the phone. BUT, with Apple Watch, the phone gets steps from the watch. Therefore, step data from the phone originally came from the watch. The reason I dumped Pedometer was that it seldom matched the Health app OR the watch.

And the Apple Watch's pedometer doesn't have a complication for step data.

Right. Thus if you want a complication for step data you need either Pedometer or, the app I prefer, HealthFace.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
For clarification, the Apple Pedometer (Workout) app gets its data from the Watch and will do so without the phone present.

As of January this year, Pedometer++ and all third-party pedometer apps need the phone. None of the Apple apps will show only steps as a complication, in real time, which is what I believe opi desired.

I believe his mention of Pedometer was actually referring to Pedometer++, my erroneous recommendation for his purpose.

Has any of that changed since or did I miss something?

Last edited:

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
Mac Guy said:
You might try Pedometer++

This makes me think that Pedometer++ won't do what he wants.

shodipo said:

But then this part makes me scratch my head. If he can stay connected to the phone when it's in the office and he's not (because of WiFi throughout the building), why wouldn't P++ work?

thejasonhowell

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
This makes me think that Pedometer++ won't do what he wants.

But then this part makes me scratch my head. If he can stay connected to the phone when it's in the office and he's not (because of WiFi throughout the building), why wouldn't P++ work?

Pedometer++ will absolutely do what he wants.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal