3rd Party Running Apps

matt3166

Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
I read on MacWorld that the watch doesn't let 3rd party app like Runtastic use the sensors aka the heart rate monitor.
Is this true?
Is it best to stick with the built in workout app for best results?

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
In this thread: What running app do you use? Why?, rangerdeyo reports that he likes MayMyRun and that it will display calories burned. To do that, it would have to have access to the watch's HRM.

As to your last question, you'll get a good sense of what the runners here favor by visiting the thread I linked. Personally, the stock app is great and does everything I want.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm a long time happy Abvio (Cyclemeter, Runmeter, Walkmeter) user who likes it as much for watch as I did for phone. It's the same app with different labels and is great for all the activities, and your choosing if you want to share with something like Strava or not. It will use your watch's sensors if you allow the access to health data.

My wife uses S2 alone much more than I do.

I don't think there's any right or wrong. It appears battery life will be an issue depending on the duration of your activities when you have the watch do it all. I've done 3+ hour MTB ride and just shy of 8 hours of mountain skiing and had battery left with watch and phone using the Abvio app. Two hours+ of hike or bike with my wife - her watch only, me with phone - and I see her watch battery use is higher.

I have Runtastic and others but haven't taken the time to try anything else with the watch because I like the Abvio app so much for all the different things I do.

On results? Yesterday we did the same 5 mi hike but my wife was watch only. My watch/phone combo said .06 mi more. I'm not sure one jaunt off the path with the dog was .06 mi. The Abvio app got more accurate with calorie burn after having the HRM. Walking around the pond near our house gets similar stats anyway we try it but always more distance after we got Apple Watches.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW