Why are workouts not recording as exercise?

mdmiller9

Feb 11, 2017
Visit site
I recorded a workout of a 2 mile walk that reflects as a workout but did not update the health app and was not recorded as exercise. This has also happened with bike rides as well. What do I need to do to ensure that my recorded workouts update the health app and reflect as exercise?

mdmiller9

Feb 11, 2017
Visit site
I have granted permission and always save my workouts. Some workouts will update the Health app and reflect as exercise and some do not. I cannot figure out any pattern or distinction between those that do and those that do not. They are consistently recorded as a workout so that piece is working OK. I think I must be missing a setting that is preventing it from updating the Health app (which I believe in turn updates the exercise tracker).

mdmiller9

Feb 11, 2017
Visit site
Thank you for your response. I just finished a 3 mile walk in just over an hour and averaged 129 bpm - I guess that is not up to Apple's standards of a brisk walk, as it recorded the workout and updated the Health app but did not record as exercise :(

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
When you open your Health app on the iPhone and go to Activity, do the Move, Exercise, and Stand numbers match your watch?

mdmiller9

Feb 11, 2017
Visit site
SwitchBeach - I loved this article; it is actually what originally attracted me to this site. Thanks so much for sharing with me. I will try "Other" next time I exercise and see if that makes a difference.

Update: I reviewed my history and found that when I have used the "other" distinction it records as exercise, even though it is generally a less rigorous workout. It also seems to record bike rides just fine even though they are typically lower bpm; Apple just doesn't seem to think my walks are brisk enough to record. I guess I better pick up the pace, as I don't think Apple is going to change their algorithms based on my disappointed feedback... hahaha!

Last edited:

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
Apple just doesn't seem to think my walks are brisk enough to record. I guess I better pick up the pace, as I don't think Apple is going to change their algorithms based on my disappointed feedback... hahaha!

Not in this lifetime, anyway! But in fairness, I think their methodology incorporates your unique personal data and maybe active vs resting calories and what it sees about your workout progress into determining what meets the 'exercise' standard.

Whether FitBit, Garmin, or Activity, my main consideration is consistency. My idea of a brisk walk isn't what most people would consider 'brisk', but the Watch gives me nearly full credit every time. When I slow, there's a drop in credit given. So for me, the Watch and Activity app are close enough for Govt. work.

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
First thing to check is that the AW has permission to update Workouts.

Health - Sources - Apple Watch - enable all

Yikes! I've never looked at that screen before and now I have an idea why my Activity.app sometimes takes extra time to post an achievement. The sources screen is showing FIVE Apple Watches, but it is showing two as active (which makes sense since I have two watches) and three as no longer paired. I guess whenever you unpair and repair, it creates a new source but doesn't delete the old one. The three that show no longer paired DO have data associated with them so I surely can't just delete them.

Mac Guy - if you've done any unpairing/repairing, who knows how many sources you may have!

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
Thank you for your response. I just finished a 3 mile walk in just over an hour and averaged 129 bpm - I guess that is not up to Apple's standards of a brisk walk, as it recorded the workout and updated the Health app but did not record as exercise :(

An HRM of 129 bpm should definitely be enough to get credit, so maybe pace has something to with it. I walk 1.33 miles on the treadmill first thing every morning at a sub 15 min/mi pace. My heart rate for these walks is always in the 85-88 range, substantially lower than the 129 you had, and yet I always get Exercise credit for the walk.

Perhaps you could try a shorter but faster walk.

SwitchBeach

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Health > Activity > Activity > Data Sources & Access
Health > Activity > Active Energy > Data Sources & Access
Health > Activity > Exercise > Data Sources & Access
Health > Activity > Activity > Data Sources & Access
etc....

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Also try to do a hard reboot of the Watch and the iPhone. On the watch press and hold the Digital Crown and the Button at the same time until the Apple logo comes up.