HRM accuracy on Series 2

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Unseasonably warm weather finally let me use the watch without a coat, cuff or glove influencing it. I could not replicate a rough MTB ride but bunny hops, wheelie, and curb drops occurred and the watch kept giving me plenty fine data. I did a short run the day prior.

The watch was plenty fine to see what a climb and cruise was doing to heart rate. Plenty fine for making the decision to back off or hammer on the pedals.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
When I've spent good money on a device I expect better than that and I don't think that's unreasonable either. Bad data is arguably worse than no data at all. Having done a long run this morning (with my Garmin and chest strap) I can look at the HR numbers and have a fair idea of how hard I was actually trying (as opposed to what my head was telling me). If that number is even 10% out then it changes a steady run with effort to spare into one where I'm on my limit (or vice versa) and the distinction is really quite important. I don't currently trust the AW (or any other device with an optical sensor to be fair to Apple) for this reason.

This ^^^^^

Totally agree. When you spend that much money on a device that is advertised as a capable fitness device, it should do what it advertises. And definitely shouldn't be THAT off. My heart rate was in the 180s and 190s this morning on a brisk walk. according to my watch, I burned more calories this morning than on my run yesterday.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Honestly, I think that you have enough information to try to convince Apple to do a warranty exchange. It sounds like you have a bad heart rate monitor.

eyecrispy

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Honestly, I think that you have enough information to try to convince Apple to do a warranty exchange. It sounds like you have a bad heart rate monitor.

Perhaps. The problem is finding enough time to actually go there. It sounds like others are having similar issues, too.

eyecrispy

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I know that feeling!

I actually scheduled an appt for Friday. Realized that I will be right by one of the Apple Stores because of where my work meeting is. Can update everyone after I meet with them, but I have a feeling they're going to tell me that it's working as expected.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
I actually scheduled an appt for Friday. Realized that I will be right by one of the Apple Stores because of where my work meeting is. Can update everyone after I meet with them, but I have a feeling they're going to tell me that it's working as expected.
That's why I haven't tried to get mine exchanged yet. Hopefully you're successful in getting your's exchanged.

eyecrispy

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
That's why I haven't tried to get mine exchanged yet. Hopefully you're successful in getting your's exchanged.

Also, unless they've changed it, I don't think the Apple Store has stock of AWs for warranty exchanges. They will send it back to the mother ship for diagnostics, repairs or warranty exchange. That means you're without your watch for several days. Kind of lame. Not sure why they do it that way.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
Also, unless they've changed it, I don't think the Apple Store has stock of AWs for warranty exchanges. They will send it back to the mother ship for diagnostics, repairs or warranty exchange. That means you're without your watch for several days. Kind of lame. Not sure why they do it that way.
They should suspend the one year warranty while you don't have your watch then, so you're not cheated out in a week or so.

upandover

Jan 27, 2017
Visit site
When I've spent good money on a device I expect better than that and I don't think that's unreasonable either. Bad data is arguably worse than no data at all. Having done a long run this morning (with my Garmin and chest strap) I can look at the HR numbers and have a fair idea of how hard I was actually trying (as opposed to what my head was telling me). If that number is even 10% out then it changes a steady run with effort to spare into one where I'm on my limit (or vice versa) and the distinction is really quite important. I don't currently trust the AW (or any other device with an optical sensor to be fair to Apple) for this reason.

Totally agree but I didn't buy it for a fitness tracker primarily anyway, I just saw that as a nice bonus. When you see athletes with the chest straps on you have to assume they would be much more accurate than a watch that's so far away from your heart and is sensitive to movement. I wouldn't want to train with a chest strap on anyway personally.

circlez

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
I think when it comes to WHR sensors everyone's mileage may vary because of physical differences (skin tone and blood vessel placement). Personally, I have been very impressed with the accuracy of the sensor in Nike+ edition that I own. I also own a Garmin Fenix3 HR and the WHR in my Apple watch is actually more accurate than the Garmin. I find it to be least accurate when doing pull ups, but for virtually every exercise it seems to track (at least my left wrist) very very well.

Compared to the Garmin HRM Run chest strap, the Apple Watch isn't as good as an ECG chest monitor (obviously)....but it is usually very close. Within a few BPM. I have been training with my Apple Watch more so than my Fenix3 HR as of recently because I have been so impressed with the WHR performance of my Nike+ edition.

Just my two cents.

StraightlineBoy

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
Totally agree but I didn't buy it for a fitness tracker primarily anyway, I just saw that as a nice bonus. When you see athletes with the chest straps on you have to assume they would be much more accurate than a watch that's so far away from your heart and is sensitive to movement. I wouldn't want to train with a chest strap on anyway personally.

I'm no athlete but I do train with a chest strap on and what I'd say is that once you've got it adjusted right and worn it a few times then it's no more uncomfortable than any other item of clothing. The Garmin straps are more than HR straps anyway; they have accelerometers in them and give stats about cadence, vertical oscillation and stride length which may be of interest to runners

Fable

Feb 11, 2016
Visit site
It is fairly accurate if you need an approximation. If you need a dead on number you are always better pairing it with a chest strap.

My gym just got brand new treadmills in with HR handles. It is in par with those and maybe even a little more accurate but it is no chest strap.

If you are a serious runner or do HIIT training. Pair the watch with a Bluetooth chest strap. iMore just did a write up on them.