Anyone Still Using First Gen Apple Watch?

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
ad82b0275b1f8c5ff4f9d5a6907122c2.jpg

Needs a good polish... maybe this weekend I'll break out the Cape Cod wipes.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
I'll have to ask at an Apple Store— who takes care of the Watches. Their Stainless display Watches are incredibly bright.

njlx2016

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
I just installed it on my OG Watch and it feels like a completely new watch. Much snappier. No waiting when opening an app.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
I just installed it on my OG Watch and it feels like a completely new watch.

I assume watchOS 3.2? watchOS 3 was the best thing that ever happened to the Watch. It really narrowed the basic performance differences between series/generations.

My Watch for the day or night is chosen based on its color so sometimes it's one of three AWs or one AWS2. I don't ever notice any change or difference in performance. That may change with future OSs and Watches, but I see a long future for just about any Watch.

njlx2016

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
I assume watchOS 3.2? watchOS 3 was the best thing that ever happened to the Watch. It really narrowed the basic performance differences between series/generations.

My Watch for the day or night is chosen based on its color so sometimes it's one of three AWs or one AWS2. I don't ever notice any change or difference in performance. That may change with future OSs and Watches, but I see a long future for just about any Watch.

Yes, I was talking about WatchOS 3.2.

I noticed the same thing when I got to play around with one of my friends Series 2. This was pre-3.2 so his series 2 was as slow as my Series 0.

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2014
Visit site
Yep I got the 1st gen Apple Watch sport at launch then bought another in November when I returned to iOS from a Galaxy s7edge. When it comes to phones I like to have the latest and greatest but the original Apple watch still performs just fine today so I don't feel compelled to update it just yet. I think Apple Watch is like the iPad as in it doesn't need to be updated each year like the iPhone.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
I have been wearing a smart watch for over two yrs. A normal watch is weird for me now. LOL. I am happy with the series 1. I have had it for 6 months since I made the switch to APple. I have always been Samsung and like their watch. It will work with my phone but the Apple Watch is smaller and I like it. I still have my Sammy but haven't worn it. It is a great watch though. I am really pleased with the Apple watch

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
I'm still wearing any one of three AWs and S2. In my use, I've seen no advantage of the S2, especially since I've not gone swimming or used the GPS.

The AW felt a little clunky when I first got in but I still really liked it. With wOS3 the difference in performance between the Watches all but disappeared and they are daily wear.

TLD1

Retired Moderator
Jul 19, 2008
Visit site
I've had a Gen1 & Series 2 Sport...and sold them both because I like some heft to a watch, and those are just too light weight for me. I can't see a huge advantage of a Series 1 & Series 2 Stainless Steel model...so I got a great deal on a mint shape silver Stainless Steel 42mm AW on Swappa yesterday and will have it in a few days. That, and I got a deal on a barely used genuine Apple leather band on eBay to boot. I'm looking forward to wearing the SS model because I think the shiny metal looks great. :biggrin:

I don't plan on working out or swimming in my SSAW, so the Series 1 is fine with me.

Now, if I could just find a black Leather Loop band...

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I last replied in this thread back in February. Anyway, I am still rocking the first generation Watch Sport that I received approximately 2-weeks or thereabouts after launch, and it is still going strong. I’ve installed watchOS 4 beta on it and it’s running well and without a hiccup, thus far. I plan to keep wearing it until it no longer works or is no longer suiting my smart watch needs...:)

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
Just_Me_D said:
I’ve installed watchOS 4 beta on it and it’s running well and without a hiccup, thus far.

That's very good news. I like the fact that its slower processor can still carry that weight. I have one S2 and plan to use it and my AWs until it's not feasible to have their batteries replaced.

Unless a new AW comes out that totally dominates the previous versions with new hardware, there's no reason for me not to keep the originals in the rotation.

Except for wanting a Nike+ (and only for the unique Watch faces!) I'd be getting Series 1 Watches (for future proofing.

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I last replied in this thread back in February. Anyway, I am still rocking the first generation Watch Sport that I received approximately 2-weeks or thereabouts after launch, and it is still going strong. I’ve installed watchOS 4 beta on it and it’s running well and without a hiccup, thus far. I plan to keep wearing it until it no longer works or is no longer suiting my smart watch needs...:)

This 100%. Though I didn’t get mine until about 8 months after release, it’s still kicking and running watchOS 4 like a bawse.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I've had a Gen1 & Series 2 Sport...and sold them both because I like some heft to a watch, and those are just too light weight for me. I can't see a huge advantage of a Series 1 & Series 2 Stainless Steel model...so I got a great deal on a mint shape silver Stainless Steel 42mm AW on Swappa yesterday and will have it in a few days. That, and I got a deal on a barely used genuine Apple leather band on eBay to boot. I'm looking forward to wearing the SS model because I think the shiny metal looks great. :biggrin:

I don't plan on working out or swimming in my SSAW, so the Series 1 is fine with me.

Now, if I could just find a black Leather Loop band...

Are you talking about the Official Apple () Leather Loop Band, like this one below...LOL
fdae03143395bd6e1cbc7ef270d0f2b0.jpg

I wasn't able to find one either until Ambassador BamfHacker was kind enough to sell me his. They are extremely rare these days.
8268be55d21c29fd7e153fb943e17153.jpg

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2