Anyone Still Using First Gen Apple Watch?

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I've had no reason to upgrade. I don't do enough water activities to use the swim proofing, nor do I ever find myself using enough GPS to need built in GPS. So it for me it would have been upgrading for the sole purpose of minor upgrades in speed. Not really worth $350+.

Exactly this. Same with me.

dejanh

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
Hi Guys
I was an early adopter of the first gen Apple Watch but only used it for about 2 weeks before returning it because it was very underwhelming.
Now the new versions came out I'm very skeptical about getting them but I have an opportunity to get the First gen Apple Watch for $100

I just want to know the experiences of using the Watch new Watch os with the old Apple Watch
WatchOS 3 is what makes the real difference. The processor bump has no real effect at all on the performance. Battery life is the same. Unless you need GPS support, go with the original Watch. I still use mine.

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
That's a great price shodipo. Although I bought a Nike+ because I wanted the GPS, I still have my orig. gen AW SS SB and wear it often. The performance differences are minor.

rangerdeyo

Trusted Member
Nov 24, 2016
Visit site
The only reasons I upgraded from my original series were because I do swim and run a lot. So the waterproofing and GPS were the big enticements.

That being said, my son who now has my original series hasn't complained once about it. Then again it was free to him so he really shouldnt complain. :rotfl:

kazp3r17

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
I'm still using mine daily. I did however sell my sport motel the pre-ordered and bough a stainless steel model. 1st gen model does everything I need it yo compared to the 2nd gen.. So there was no need to upgrade, however I do line f'd ceramic white model.

RobertP1

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2016
Visit site
I just gave away my first generation Apple Watch to a friend who couldn't afford one. I'll see how long I can be without it!

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
I just gave away my first generation Apple Watch to a friend who couldn't afford one. I'll see how long I can be without it!

That's a really nice thing you did.

Now reward yourself with a Series 1. Heck, you're such a nice guy, maybe a Nike+!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

Outstanding gesture, but dude, I've grown to accustomed to my Watch and I'd be looney without it...

RobertP1

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2016
Visit site
The guy I gave it to is working 60 week trying to feed his kids.. It's the least I could do. (Also opens up the chance at getting a new one)

bluesqueen23

Apr 20, 2016
Visit site
I have three Apple Watches (Gen 1, if the nomenclature isn't clear) and one Apple Watch Series 2. I wear them based on color and switch the bands to suit my particular mood. I have one AW and the AWS2 in gold aluminum so I wear the AW as I haven't had need of having GPS on the Watch.

There are no issues for me using the AWs with watchOS 3 (a proverbial game changer). Apps that reside on the Watch and not on the phone open reasonably quickly, but not fast. My S2 is faster, but still not quick.

Right now I need a silver aluminum Watch, so it'll be an S1, not S2. If I ran across a deal for an AW in great shape (pristine!) for $100 I wouldn't hesitate.

Target currently has AWS1s on sale for $199 for 38mm and $229 for 42mm. (Oddly enough, is selling Apple Watches for $279!)

I got my AWS1 for $228 on Black Fri. from Target. I had the first generation and thought it was terrible. Really enjoy my Series 1.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
I had the first generation and thought it was terrible.

Did you use it with wOS3? I really don't see/feel a difference between my AW and AWS2 in doing anything. Pairing did seem a little quicker at first, but it takes so long even with the S2, I can't be sure there's an actual difference in time.

Is there was some free heavy lifting app I could try to compare the two Watches? Without a side-by-side, A/B comparison, I probably wouldn't know which Watch was worn. (Both my S2 and one AW are gold.)

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Yes, I have a Black Stainless Steel first generation and she runs very good. No problems to speak of. I'm waiting for a slimmer model or maybe a round Apple Watch.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro