Anyone Still Using First Gen Apple Watch?

shodipo

Jun 14, 2016
Visit site
Hi Guys
I was an early adopter of the first gen Apple Watch but only used it for about 2 weeks before returning it because it was very underwhelming.
Now the new versions came out I'm very skeptical about getting them but I have an opportunity to get the First gen Apple Watch for $100

I just want to know the experiences of using the Watch new Watch os with the old Apple Watch

thejasonhowell

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
Hi Guys
I was an early adopter of the first gen Apple Watch but only used it for about 2 weeks before returning it because it was very underwhelming.
Now the new versions came out I'm very skeptical about getting them but I have an opportunity to get the First gen Apple Watch for $100

I just want to know the experiences of using the Watch new Watch os with the old Apple Watch

I love it. I bought my series 0 on Black Friday and am quite content

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I've had no reason to upgrade. I don't do enough water activities to use the swim proofing, nor do I ever find myself using enough GPS to need built in GPS. So it for me it would have been upgrading for the sole purpose of minor upgrades in speed. Not really worth $350+.

shodipo

Jun 14, 2016
Visit site
I've had no reason to upgrade. I don't do enough water activities to use the swim proofing, nor do I ever find myself using enough GPS to need built in GPS. So it for me it would have been upgrading for the sole purpose of minor upgrades in speed. Not really worth $350+.

I'm concerned with the speed of opening apps particularly 3rd party apps
I don't need the waterproofing too but I use it for the occasional runs
I still carry my iPhone though because I like using the traditional headphones with my 6splus

Also Has the update affected battery life?

reeneebob

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
My battery life is stellar - I have no desire to update my watch yet. On Saturday I was skiing and with it running heart rate checks from 9am to about 5 (I had it logging the workout) I was down to 35%...and it's the heart rate monitor that can be the battery killer.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I'm still using my first gen and am still pleased with it. I do, however, plan on upgrading to the Nike + series soon, but only because I have a 38mm and I want a 42mm.

shodipo

Jun 14, 2016
Visit site
It's probably worth $200 so $100's a great deal. Why do you think you'll feel differently this time around?

My main issue with the first one was the slow loading of apps
I have been using a Fitbit since then but I want to give the Apple Watch a second shot

Beards

Dec 8, 2015
Visit site
I'm concerned with the speed of opening apps particularly 3rd party apps
I don't need the waterproofing too but I use it for the occasional runs
I still carry my iPhone though because I like using the traditional headphones with my 6splus

Also Has the update affected battery life?
To be honest opening apps is longer with a series 0 over say the series 2 ~~~ but it is not that much of an issue, maybe an extra few seconds per app. Rebooting from cold though is slow..... terribly slowww. Give yourself a good minute + depending on the amount of apps you have installed.

Having said that I do not plan on getting rid of my series 0. It runs everything albeit slightly slower and does have limited waterproofing (I shower with mine every day and have done so since the first days the watch was released).

As to battery life: Activity Tracking does consume battery energy. A typical 1 hour workout can consume 20 to 30%, so you will need to plan when to wear and when to charge.
For me; I do at least a 1 hour and half a day in total and sleep track during the night.
That means i place the watch on charge in the evening before bed and give it a top up after work. It works for me.

anon(39328)

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
As others have already said, I've had no reason to upgrade. Pretty much the only future 'feature' I'm waiting for is for Apple to figure out a way to make it thinner (NOT thicker) without any loss to battery life. Personal opinion is that the Apple Watch is too chunky.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Like the others, I am still using the first generation watch, and I've had it for about 90 days shy of two years. I've worn it every day since getting it and I plan to continue wearing it for quite some time. I'm not interested in the newer models and I don't store a ton of apps on it. Having said that, it is perfect for the way I use it.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
I have three Apple Watches (Gen 1, if the nomenclature isn't clear) and one Apple Watch Series 2. I wear them based on color and switch the bands to suit my particular mood. I have one AW and the AWS2 in gold aluminum so I wear the AW as I haven't had need of having GPS on the Watch.

There are no issues for me using the AWs with watchOS 3 (a proverbial game changer). Apps that reside on the Watch and not on the phone open reasonably quickly, but not fast. My S2 is faster, but still not quick.

Right now I need a silver aluminum Watch, so it'll be an S1, not S2. If I ran across a deal for an AW in great shape (pristine!) for $100 I wouldn't hesitate.

Target currently has AWS1s on sale for $199 for 38mm and $229 for 42mm. (Oddly enough, is selling Apple Watches for $279!)

lui22

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site

here here

Snoweagle

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site
Still using my first gen AW and I've no need to upgrade, I've no need for the 50m water resistance as I don't swim with watches and the GPS isn't what I expected to as well.

The original AW's isn't exactly slow with OS3 and the Series 2 isn't any much faster too.

That being said, I'll await for this year's model as it was rumored to have longer battery life as its primary focus so will just wait and see. For now, the original AW is still very usable.

shodipo

Jun 14, 2016
Visit site
Thanks Guys
From what I can read you're all suggesting it's best to get the first gen Apple Watch at that price

I'll get it and let you know my experience
Can I get app suggestions for the Apple Watch
I mean apps that actually make you use enjoy using your Apple Watch
I'll be starting a new question about that but you can also make suggestions here
Thanks

Snoweagle

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site
Carrot Weather, Pokémon GO and TuneIn Radio Pro for me. Other than these are the native Apple apps such as Breathe and Activity are my favorites.

RobertP1

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2016
Visit site
I have my 42MM Apple Watch since launch. I have had ZERO problems with it and it is running like new. Battery gets me through the day without a problem and am still searching for a reason to upgrade

SnapThrow

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
I still have mine and wear it everyday to tell the time and track exercise -- that's it. I'll probably upgrade at some point but waiting for Apple to really give me a good reason, the Gen2 Watch wasn't enough for my versus the cost...

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner