How do you protect your Apple Watch while working out?

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
Ask Serenity Forum, yaaaaaaasssssss!

Question I've been meaning to ask for a while: You post a lot of awesome Instagrams of your roller derby and workout — how you protect your Apple Watch from impact and potential dings and dents from all that activity?

I'm perpetually worried it'll smack it against a kettle bell or get it caught on, you know, someone else's face :)

Love the Q&A!

StraightlineBoy

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
Clearly I'm not Serenity but as an Apple Watch user who runs and works out my advice is not to bother with ugly cases or whatever to protect it, just get on and use it. After 3+ months with my Nike edition it's still pristine. You're as likely to bash it day to day on a door frame or some stupid incidental contact as you are at the gym, so you'd probably damage it while the case wasn't on it. An Apple Watch isn't going to be a precious family heirloom (like a Rolex might be), current models will be dead/obsolete within 2-3 years so just use it and don't worry about it.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Clearly I'm not Serenity but as an Apple Watch user who runs and works out my advice is not to bother with ugly cases or whatever to protect it, just get on and use it. After 3+ months with my Nike edition it's still pristine. You're as likely to bash it day to day on a door frame or some stupid incidental contact as you are at the gym, so you'd probably damage it while the case wasn't on it. An Apple Watch isn't going to be a precious family heirloom (like a Rolex might be), current models will be dead/obsolete within 2-3 years so just use it and don't worry about it.

Agree. I just use it and don't worry about it. The few times that I've banged it have not been during workouts or on runs. My Nike+ AW also looks as good as it did day 1.

StraightlineBoy

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
That said, as unlikely as the scenario is (given that I live on the opposite side of the pond), remind me never to work out near Rene when he's hurling kettle bells around or whatever it is he does in the gym that's such bad news for Apple Watches!!!

Serenity Caldwell

Managing Editor
Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Very similar answers to the above posters! I used to wear a cotton sweatguard over my Apple Watch when I first started using it in derby, but that was mostly to keep my wrist guard from rubbing against the screen. Thanks to the screen lock feature, I now rarely wear one.

Kettlebell swings and pulls are a bit more complicated, because you frequently have to rest the kettlebell against the back of your wrist. For this, I usually switch the Apple Watch's screen to the inside of my wrist, with the band on the outside; I've also worn wrist-covering lifting gloves.

Overall, though, that glass/sapphire screen is pretty hardy!

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
I was a little surprised when you talked on the podcast about wearing the watch during derby. The first time my colleague wore his new watch to his basketball league, he was promptly informed that watches were not allowed. Turns out no one wants to get smacked in the face with a watch.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice