Apple Watch Series 3 News & Rumors Thread

josepilot81

Sep 11, 2014
Visit site
I don't know you guys but me to be honest I'll prefer Apple to make an Apple Watch every 2 or 3 years just to let users have the last piece of tech without having to change every time year or selling way to cheap because is an obsolete model very soon...I know is not the way this works but it will be super nice. What do you Think?

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
What do you Think?

I'm good either way. Apple makes a new phone every year, but I upgrade at two years or later. I'd do the same with Watches— upgrade when the feature set merits it.

Unless Apple changes the form factor of the Watch, it doesn't seem to me that they could sustain upgrading the Watches every year for the unforeseeable future. Even then, I could seem them running out of marketable ideas.

Snoweagle

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site
The Series 2 just doesn't seem to justify an upgrade for me from my original one. But if the upgrades are more significant this year, I'll upgrade most probably.

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Big gains in battery life would be great from my point of view. Right now I'm getting 1.5 days of use out of my Series 2... would be nice to go 3-4 days on a charge.

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
Big gains in battery life would be great from my point of view. Right now I'm getting 1.5 days of use out of my Series 2... would be nice to go 3-4 days on a charge.

And an improvement in battery life is one feature that definitely wouldn't get me to upgrade. I'm in the habit of charging every night and I'd rather do that than charge on an irregular schedule. As long as the battery always gets me through the day (and it does), it meets my needs. The device that annoys me is my Fitbit because I usually don't notice it needs charging until it's too late.

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
And an improvement in battery life is one feature that definitely wouldn't get me to upgrade. I'm in the habit of charging every night and I'd rather do that than charge on an irregular schedule. As long as the battery always gets me through the day (and it does), it meets my needs. The device that annoys me is my Fitbit because I usually don't notice it needs charging until it's too late.

I've had that happen numerous times. Not a Fitbit user since the switch to Apple Watch, but know exactly what you're talking about!

doc16mom

Mar 29, 2016
Visit site
I don't know you guys but me to be honest I'll prefer Apple to make an Apple Watch every 2 or 3 years just to let users have the last piece of tech without having to change every time year or selling way to cheap because is an obsolete model very soon...I know is not the way this works but it will be super nice. What do you Think?

I agree! For me an upgrade every two years would be great.....a true upgrade not a little small stuff here and there.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
The bigger news for Apple Watch fans is that new models will ship this fall. Rumors about Apple Watch Series 3 features are slim right now but do mention sleep tracking and cellular data.

Ok, so new Watches shipping this fall is not a rumor? Says who? And I trust nothing to be accurate when the source is DigitTimes.

So I'll just wait to see what happens, or at the least, a more credible source of rumors. Apple, surprise me.

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I still have the 1st gen. Restoring is god awful slow (when swapping to a new iPhone for example). Otherwise works great. Every watch OS has been a nice improvement. Didn't see the point of getting the gen 2. Was a fair investment just to get the first gen. The watch isn't something I want to update every year.

But will be curious on gen 3. Hopefully space black stainless still available. Would be nice if it became a bit thinner. A slightly bigger screen would be ok too.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
tcuprof said:
So you're waiting for something from Ming-Chi Kuo then?

He is one of the more credible sources, but I think his track record is still something like 60%. That's pretty good in the Rumor Game but still— it's speculation than fact.

Donkichot

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
What I want to see in the Series 3:

- [ ] Always on
- [ ] Many many New Watchfaces
- [ ] New health sensors (Oxygen+Glycémie)

Don’t really care for LTE...
Why not open watchface design to user like Pebble ?
It would be cool !

f2d17ffea6f0ef2ca0630c1d58c6d984.png

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
It would be cool !

It would be an ugly mess, just like Pebble.

Those are some tacky Watch faces, and if Apple were to open it up, it would be best if it weren't done like Pebble but by people that Apple heavily vetted and approved.

Pebble didn't/doesn't care about trademark violations or ugly designs. We do need some new watch faces and Apple needs to get on that. But not by dropping the bar.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
Donkichot said:
Well not exactly like Pebble, your design stay on your watch and do not go on a download faces site...

True enough. But that's what I'd call a distinction without a difference, in the grand scheme...

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Apple has already been forced to license the clock app looking too much like Swiss railway clocks in order to avoid a trademark infringement lawsuit. https://www.imore.com/apple-licenses-icon-swiss-national-railway-clock-ipad-app

I'm sure that Apple isn't too eager to defend against trademark infringement lawsuits. Pebble never had to worry about that; they had no money. If Apple opened watchface designs, I'm sure that they'd be spending all their time in court defending against lawsuits.

As I understand it, glycemic sensor is very complicated to do for an external (non-implant, non-blood testing) device. I'm sure that Apple would love to do it, but not sure that they could get FDA approval to market it for glycemic purposes if they have even figured it out. And I'm sure that they would have applied for FDA approval long before now, which would have been discovered by now.