Bad day for activity rings

StraightlineBoy

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
Today is one of those days that could see my Apple Watch get thrown against the nearest wall.

I've recently decided that my Garmin 920XT is still superior to my Nike Apple Watch and have reverted to running wearing that instead and so far the data has been syncing up ok and all has been well.

This morning I've run 10km and my red activity ring stubbornly refuses to update with the calories I burned. The green exercise ring has updated with 59 minutes of exercise. In the Activity app on the phone it knows about the workout, and it also has my average heart rate and the calories I burned. The Apple health app also knows about this. And yet the red activity ring stubbornly ignores it.

I've jumped through hoops like deleting all of my activities for the day, restarting the phone and watch, reimporting it all and got back to exactly the same place. Really not impressed as it will be break my month long streak if it doesn't magically sort itself out in the background.

The other part of this that people might question is why have I reverted to using my Garmin for running? I've gradually been getting less impressed with the Apple Watch HR sensor lately, giving unrealistically low readings for my HR when running. The final straw was when the watch stopped a run part way through when I was out the other day. I suspect that was water on the touchscreen, not good enough.

So we'll see if my activity rings update before my bedtime otherwise you can look out for a Nike Apple Watch on eBay in the next few days.

StraightlineBoy

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
3rd party but this SHOULD be irrelevant because Apple Health knows about the activity. It's all in there, 11,000 steps, 672 active calories, a 10km workout etc, it's classic Apple services failing to sync properly. The activity app on the phone shows the workout I've done, complete with HR and calories and yet despite having a 10km run in there, it thinks so far today I've clocked up almost no calories if you look at the activity rings. This is not humanly possible.
IMG_0689.jpgIMG_0690.jpg

rangerdeyo

Trusted Member
Nov 24, 2016
Visit site
I had something similar happen with the mapmyrun app. There is a setting in the app to sync the data with apple health. After an update, it got turned off so my workouts stopped showing up in the Health app. All my activity got logged except for one day where the calories got logged but not the exercise (opposite of your issue).

StraightlineBoy

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
Well I've kept deleting things, re-adding things and generally faffing and now have my rings filled up. It's as mysterious why it eventually appeared as it was mysterious that it didn't show up in the first place. The last thing I did was re-install Strava, enable it and then watched the TV for 10 minutes when out of the blue my watch chimed to say I'd hit my movement goal!

My health data now is a complex mix of Apple Watch most of the time, running data comes from Strava, except the the step count while running which comes from Garmin Connect as Strava doesn't record steps! I can see this being a constant cause of grief in the future but I've described in my original post my reasons for returning to using my Garmin when I run.

StraightlineBoy

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
The other discrepancy I see is between steps recorded in Apple Heath and those in the activity app. My steps have transferred from my Garmin when running into Health but not Activity. So the Activity app can see the 10k run and yet I only took 1100 steps yesterday. Apple health has a much more realistic 12,000 steps which includes those from the Garmin. It's not very good.

rangerdeyo

Trusted Member
Nov 24, 2016
Visit site
The other discrepancy I see is between steps recorded in Apple Heath and those in the activity app. My steps have transferred from my Garmin when running into Health but not Activity. So the Activity app can see the 10k run and yet I only took 1100 steps yesterday. Apple health has a much more realistic 12,000 steps which includes those from the Garmin. It's not very good.

I've had issues with steps recording also. My problem is there were too many apps looking at either my watch or phone or both. Once I prioritized the watch in all the apps as the step counter, I get one count that matches across the apps.

StraightlineBoy

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
I've had issues with steps recording also. My problem is there were too many apps looking at either my watch or phone or both. Once I prioritized the watch in all the apps as the step counter, I get one count that matches across the apps.
It's particularly frustrating because the data is in there, I guess the Activity app on the phone is destined for the Apple apps folder (along with Stocks, Compass etc) and I'll just have to use the Health app for my totals because that has the correct numbers (for all sources) in there

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73