(Updated] The Runkeeper app is AWESOME!

davsug

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
I know I've been pretty critical of the previous versions of Runkeeper at least as it related to Apple Watch, but their latest version is the best running app on the Watch, IMO. I've been beta testing the latest version for a few weeks, and I've been impressed, and they just released the new version to the App Store, and personally it give me everything. You can actually use the Series 2 GPS by hitting a button on the watch without putting the phone into airplane mode. It also gives you the signal of the GPS, either on the watch or phone, whichever one you're using. You can also have multiple fields on the watch. I have distance, current pace, average pace and time. Heartrate is also available.
The phone app has also improved with a much nicer, cleaner interface. Let me know if anyone has questions, but IMO RK blows away the stock app, Nike Run club and every other watch-enabled app I've tried.

StraightlineBoy

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
Re: updated RunKepper app is AWESOME

See my latest posts in the "Series 2 GPS observations" thread. This app has given me some very strange results and I won't be using it again until there's some serious bug-fixing gone on.

davsug

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site

See my latest posts in the "Series 2 GPS observations" thread. This app has given me some very strange results and I won't be using it again until there's some serious bug-fixing gone on.

I saw that, but I didn't think it was for the latest release that just came out on Monday. What were the strange results?

StraightlineBoy

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site

I saw that, but I didn't think it was for the latest release that just came out on Monday. What were the strange results?

Yes it was the latest release. Essentially the pace for the first kilometre was wrong, very wrong, like I had afterburners going for the first few hundred metres. Looking in the phone app after the run the GPS trail seems to start where I opened the watch app rather than where I pressed go which was at least 200 metres away. The overall distance on the run is correct (it's like that is counted from where I pressed GO to where I pressed STOP) but map is wrong (starts in the wrong place) and the pace for the first kilometre is about 25% faster than I can actually run at.

mstacheef

May 8, 2013
Visit site

Weird. I've done 7 or 8 runs with it and haven't had that problem. Are you using the gps on the phone or watch?

StraightlineBoy

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site

Watch only - phone is locked away in my desk drawer when I run. Have not had the same sort of problems from the Nike app when I've used that in the same way (I'm not a Nike fan, I tried the RunKeeper app because I'd rather not use the Nike app just in case anyone thinks otherwise)

mstacheef

May 8, 2013
Visit site

Watch only - phone is locked away in my desk drawer when I run. Have not had the same sort of problems from the Nike app when I've used that in the same way (I'm not a Nike fan, I tried the RunKeeper app because I'd rather not use the Nike app just in case anyone thinks otherwise)

I just read your post in the other thread and it sounds like you're using the old version of the app. In the new version, there's no setting for current or average pace. In the Watch app when you're running, you have both current, average as well as other fields.

StraightlineBoy

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site

I just read your post in the other thread and it sounds like you're using the old version of the app. In the new version, there's no setting for current or average pace. In the Watch app when you're running, you have both current, average as well as other fields.

This is something I hate about the Apple Watch apps - it's really difficult to tell what version of an app you're running.

I believed I was running the latest version of the Watch app because based on the app store notes the previous version didn't do GPS on the watch without the phone present so the first time I downloaded RunKeeper was this week (to either Watch or Phone). My phone has no app updates in the store so I'm not sure how I am in this position but at the same I'm not doubting what you say about me not having the latest set of fields available.

mstacheef

May 8, 2013
Visit site

This is something I hate about the Apple Watch apps - it's really difficult to tell what version of an app you're running.

I believed I was running the latest version of the Watch app because based on the app store notes the previous version didn't do GPS on the watch without the phone present so the first time I downloaded RunKeeper was this week (to either Watch or Phone). My phone has no app updates in the store so I'm not sure how I am in this position but at the same I'm not doubting what you say about me not having the latest set of fields available.

Go to the app on the phone, go to "me" in the lower left, then select settings. At the bottom of the screen it shows the version number. Latest is 7.6 (1081)

cheli007

Jul 14, 2015
Visit site

I mentioned this in other thread also, but is there any way to do an indoor run? Too much snow here now and I have to use the treadmill. Any way I can use the app? Thanks.

lgreenberg

Dec 2, 2008
www.active.com

I mentioned this in other thread also, but is there any way to do an indoor run? Too much snow here now and I have to use the treadmill. Any way I can use the app? Thanks.

So I was hoping for the same thing, on the East Coast it's too chilly for me to be out running as well. However based on the documentation I'm reading it doesn't look like stopwatch mode is available on the watch app. Hopefully it's coming eventually.

Rich W3

Nov 20, 2016
Visit site

Dave, great review. While the data field is kind of customizable, I can not get distance, pace, avg pace and heart rate all in one screen... like the stock app. Am I missing something? Also, I really need some app to smooth out the pace. Instanteous pace bounces all over the place, and average pace on long runs is not really meaningful. Do you know ... do they have any plans to put a lap pace on screen 1 as well? It is difficult to switch screens during a run, I want it all visible in a quick glance, like my Garmin... Rich

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site

I mentioned this in other thread also, but is there any way to do an indoor run? Too much snow here now and I have to use the treadmill
I know nothing about these apps, so am of little to no help. (My forte!) Does anybody know if the AW gives 'tracks' elliptical machine use, those that work the arms?

The Watch is supposed to incorporate arm movement for walk tracking. If you could exaggerate your arm movement somewhat while on a treadmill, may your movements would register, although that doesn't seem to work well with weightlifters.

cheli007

Jul 14, 2015
Visit site

The Watch is supposed to incorporate arm movement for walk tracking. If you could exaggerate your arm movement somewhat while on a treadmill, may your movements would register, although that doesn't seem to work well with weightlifters.

For whatever reason, RunKeeper for AW uses the watch's GPS outside, but doesn't have the capability to track using only the arm motion, at least not that I can tell. Kinda weird. Workout app and Nike+ do this.

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site

IMO RK blows away the stock app, Nike Run club and every other watch-enabled app I've tried.

Could you elaborate on this a bit? How exactly is RK better than the stock app? What am I missing?

StraightlineBoy

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site

I know nothing about these apps, so am of little to no help. (My forte!) Does anybody know if the AW gives 'tracks' elliptical machine use, those that work the arms?

I think it's one thing to plot GPS co-ordinates on a map and record distance and an entirely different thing to try to record arm movements and translate them into something meaningful from an indoor workout. In my experience with the RK app they need to get the first bit right before expanding to indoor stuff.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site

StraightlineBoy said:
I think it's one thing to plot GPS co-ordinates on a map and record distance and an entirely different thing to try to record arm movements and translate them into something meaningful from an indoor workout. In my experience with the RK app they need to get the first bit right before expanding to indoor stuff.

Given that the poster I was responding to was talking about using a treadmill and was indoors, GPS would be a non-starter, and a different thing would be needed. I believe the Apple Workout app uses the accelerometer when GPS isn't available, so it should work indoors, and without RK or any other third-party app, for walking.

So I'm wondering if slightly exaggerated arm movement would register any useful information while treadmilling around. Would selecting the wheel chair affect any useful results. It may be that remaining stationary limits or even prevents useable results from any arm and leg movements. Yet some people report waving their hands in the air while seated is enough to satisfy the hourly Stand prompt.

For whatever reason, RunKeeper for AW uses the watch's GPS outside, but doesn't have the capability to track using only the arm motion, at least not that I can tell. Kinda weird. Workout app and Nike+ do this.

Have you had a chance to see if either would work on a treadmill? Or is RunKeeper your app of choice?

cheli007

Jul 14, 2015
Visit site

Have you had a chance to see if either would work on a treadmill? Or is RunKeeper your app of choice?

I don't see a "stopwatch" mode like I see on the phone app. No, not my app of choice. I'd love to see MapMyRun's app make use of the GPS in the watch.

rangerdeyo

Trusted Member
Nov 24, 2016
Visit site

I don't see a "stopwatch" mode like I see on the phone app. No, not my app of choice. I'd love to see MapMyRun's app make use of the GPS in the watch.

I use MapMyRun and love it. Right now the only issue I have seen or heard with the app is it doesn't make use of the GPS yet. You can use Siri to start and stop workouts, just like NRC on the Nike watches. The app on the phone will track and elliptical workout but the watch app doesn't have one that specific.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox