Is there a big difference between the 38mm & 42mm Watch?

sgchick

Jan 1, 2017
Visit site
Re: 38mm v 42mm

I definitely have a tiny wrist, but I love the 42 on me. I've always liked the big faced watches. It's all personal preference. :)

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Re: 38mm v 42mm

My wife and I chose 42 mm for same reason we appreciate our 7 Plus phones - screen size. I don't see these things as conventional watches and bigger screen is good for an information machine.

The correct answer is take the time we did to visit the retail store and check out sizes, colors and bands.

:)

bales_83

Jan 13, 2017
Visit site
Re: Is there a big difference between the 38mm & 42mm Watch?

I prefer smaller faces and have tiny wrists so 38mm was the only one for me - despite it being only 4mm the 42 does look a lot bigger. Also consider that your primary usage of it should probably influence your choice.

mc511

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site

I have pretty small wrists and hands. I am a guy and am short overall. The 38mm was best for me. Any bigger and it would distract or just be too much. My dad could get away with a 42mm. I did however put on the large band since I was down to like the last two holes on the smaller band.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site

I was at an Apple Store today, talking to one of their tech support people. (They don't seem to use 'Genius' much, there.)

She had a 38mm SS2 with the Modern Buckle. It looked terrific and perfectly proportioned for her wrist. She wanted a SG Watch but for some reason, (maybe the band) the SS/Modern Buckle, Brown was the only one that looked 'right' and fit properly. She said the 42mm overwhelmed her wrist.

So despite the advantages of the 42 (larger text, bigger battery) fitment and visual appeal can be very real considerations.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site

I was at an Apple Store today, talking to one of their tech support people. (They don't seem to use 'Genius' much, there.)

She had a 38mm SS2 with the Modern Buckle. It looked terrific and perfectly proportioned for her wrist. She wanted a SG Watch but for some reason, (maybe the band) the SS/Modern Buckle, Brown was the only one that looked 'right' and fit properly. She said the 42mm overwhelmed her wrist.

So despite the advantages of the 42 (larger text, bigger battery) fitment and visual appeal can be very real considerations.

I believe text size is adjustable in settings for the Apple Watch.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site

I believe text size is adjustable in settings for the Apple Watch.

This is what happens when I try to take a short cut. Yes, the text is adjustable. The 38mm just doesn't support larger text as well.

Apple-Watch-42mm-vs-38mm-2-500x329.png

Strictly speaking, numbers aren't text. Still...

Apple-Watch-42mm-vs-38mm-4-500x329.png

Apple-Watch-42mm-vs-38mm-3-500x329.png

I believe larger text on the 42mm will be larger than larger text on the 38mm, in some if not all cases. So consider my 'larger text' to be 'larger text is better supported on the 42mm Watch's greater real estate'. Or don't.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site

My wife's same height and my wrist size is not very large. We made a retail trip and checked out both. We chose the larger size because it is more effective as an info machine.

My suggestion is visit a retailer and consider your use. My wife wanted easiest to see while active. My life is full of alarms, messages, appointments and tasks. Our reasons are about function more than look. Others I know chose the smaller one with reasons just as good as ours for getting large.

The one drawback for our getting large display is needing smaller bands. That's fine with the sport band but leaves a lot hanging with other bands.

Have fun shopping.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
Is there a big difference between the 38mm & 42mm Watch?

This is what happens when I try to take a short cut. Yes, the text is adjustable. The 38mm just doesn't support larger text as well.

http://media.idownloadblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Apple-Watch-42mm-vs-38mm-2-500x329.png
Strictly speaking, numbers aren't text. Still...

http://media.idownloadblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Apple-Watch-42mm-vs-38mm-4-500x329.png
http://media.idownloadblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Apple-Watch-42mm-vs-38mm-3-500x329.png

I believe larger text on the 42mm will be larger than larger text on the 38mm, in some if not all cases. So consider my 'larger text' to be 'larger text is better supported on the 42mm Watch's greater real estate'. Or don't.

I have the 38mm Series 2 and the font size is set to the left, but not all the way. It is fine to me. But comparing the screens with fonts at their largest, both seem garish, in my opinion. No offense.

mark-d

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site

I must admit I've got a 38mm, was a personal choice and swung by the fact the 42mm wasn't available in the style I wanted anyway at the time I was buying. I do have the text slightly enlarged so it's easy to read.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site

I am glad there is a 38mm being female. It is perfect for me.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site

Get what is comfortable for you. I can't wear the larger one.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73