Is there a big difference between the 38mm & 42mm Watch?

Shuckster

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
It's there a big difference. I've got small wrists. I don't see that much of a difference and I'm leaning towards the 38mm.

Am I making a mistake?

frrc21

Oct 29, 2016
Visit site
Re: 38mm v 42mm

I would say for you to try and go to an Apple Store and try both and see which one suits you better. I also have small wrists for a guy but the 38mm seemed a bit small on me but on my friend it looked just perfect. There isn't really a difference in terms of specs or battery, but the 42mm also seemed easier to touch than the 38mm

Jeroen7

Sep 9, 2015
Visit site

Just go with what fits and suits you best.

The only difference apart from the size and weight is that the 42mm does have a bigger battery, but on the other hand also a bit bigger screen to power.

RHChan84

Oct 22, 2016
Visit site

Go to a store and test it out. I went with the 42mm because it looks better on my wrist over the 38mm.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

It's there a big difference. I've got small wrists. I don't see that much of a difference and I'm leaning towards the 38mm.

Am I making a mistake?

If your wrists are small then I would definitely recommend the 38mm  watch. Still, go to a retail store that sells the  watch and then decide for yourself after you've tried on both.

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site

As others have said, you really need to go to an Apple store. I thought the exact same thing as you until I tried them both on in the store. Then the 42mm seemed more appropriate. BTW, battery life is better on the 42.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site

Some people get upset at seeing someone wearing a big watch on a small wrist or bigger watch on a big wrist. Go figure. You do need to see the Watches in person to decide what you like.

There are two differences that I'm aware of? the 42mm has a bigger battery and better battery life with even with the larger screen, and text is slightly more legible.

The 42mm Watch is no larger than a Rolex Sub and looks fine on medium to larger wrist. I've seen pics of it on a smallish wrist and it seems OK. I'd draw the line at wearing a watch or Watch that's wider than your wrist, though. But that's me. Buy what makes you happy.

Anastayja1

Trusted Member
Oct 26, 2016
Visit site
38mm v 42mm

I am a female with very small wrists. I was set on the 42mm until I went to the store and I saw them both in person. Although the size isn't that different I chose to go with the 38mm. I am actually very happy with it and to me it looks better on my tiny wrist. I would say to go and try them on and make your decision then.

jaleesag88

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site

I am a female with very small wrists. I was set on the 42mm until I went to the store and I saw them both in person. Although the size isn't that different I chose to go with the 38mm. I am actually very happy with it and to me it looks better on my tiny wrist. I would say to go and try them on and make your decision then.

I was actually the opposite. I was dead set on the 38mm, got it and I loved it. A couple days later the Nike+ version came out and I wanted that band so I went back to Best Buy and exchanged it, but all they had was a 42mm in stock. I walked out with that and haven't looked back. I love the larger screen, battery life I can't comment on. I charge it every night and it's typically around 70% when I throw it on the charger. The 38mm was normally between 60-70% as well by the end of the day.

Jeroen7

Sep 9, 2015
Visit site

3 days without charging my 42mm and now at almost 17:30 still 9% left :)

Although I have to admit I did turn it off the past two nights (from about 11ish until 7 in the morning). Just wanted to see how far it would go.
I did moderate moving, had a trainingsession of half an hour and 2 outside walks for about 25 mins total.
Also had bluetooth on on my phone all the time.

StraightlineBoy

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site

I've got skinny wrists and the 42mm looks fine in my opinion but as others have said go and try one. As some sort of measure I got the Nike+ which comes with a long and a short strap and if I use the long strap it wraps around my wrist, contacts the back of the watch and causes the strap to bulge!

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site

I don't think enough can be said for going to the store and trying the watches on yourself! It's really NOT a male/female issue, it's a look, fit and feel! I know guys who have the 38 and love it and girls who have the 42 and love it! I opted for the 42 myself. :)

Anastayja1

Trusted Member
Oct 26, 2016
Visit site

And very big hair, apparently! Great to hear you're happy with your Watch. I like that Apple made the Watches gender-agnostic.

Yes, that is the cool thing about the Apple watch; pick the one that you like best and wear it. I had the Moto 360 and my husband always complained that it was too large for my wrist. He now wears it. I wonder if that was just a ploy to get my watch? Lol.

Yup, big hair don't care! Lmbo!!!

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site

I wonder if that was just a ploy to get my watch?

That would be sooo wrong! Smart man. :laughing: I think the fashion quotient and your personal preference are really the key. For a lot of people large watches are the thing. But seriously, you got the best deal. ;)

Yup, big hair don't care!
0d7.gif

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site

Am I making a mistake?

While the 38mm is absolutely fine, i would recommend the 42mm. Even if you have small wrists or hands. I know we talking 4mm here but it does make a little difference. Best advice would be to try them both on in the Apple store and then make a decision. :)

DLieSaS

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site

The difference is very noticeable: it's only 4mm in absolute numbers – but that's a 10%-increase in hight…

Fable

Feb 11, 2016
Visit site

I was kind of set on going with a smaller face myself but after trying both on I went with the 42. Definitely stop by a store and try before you buy.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com

I have fairly small wrists too, but the 42 doesn't look or feel as big on my wrist as it does just sitting there. Before I got my 1st gen AW I was pretty sure I wanted the 38 after seeing pics of people wearing them. Then I finally got to check em out in person. As soon as I put the 42 on it just felt right.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73