Apple watch straps - the only way to go?

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Have you or would you ever consider buying a third party band/strap for your Apple Watch? Or do you stick to the Apple branded and sold ones? I mean, I love the look (and feel) of all Apple offerings, but for the price, seems to me you can't go long with a lot of the third party options!

I've tried both, and have been pleased with all of my purchases.

frrc21

Oct 29, 2016
Visit site
I'm considering buying a third party milanese watch band, but I'm doubtful since the whole concept of the band revolves around just a magnet holding it... So if by chance the magnet goes wrong then the whole watch will go with it... But on the other hand I won't pay 200$ for Apple's version... So I guess I'll stay with my Black Silicone band or maybe buy the Nylon one, or does anyone here dislikes it?

Last edited:

RHChan84

Oct 22, 2016
Visit site
I have a 3rd party and I like it a lot. I use it from time to time where an event with a silicone band doesn't look right so I have a metal one. Works with no issues. It's not as tight as the silicon so heart rate is not accurate but many metal ones with links besides the magnet ones are like that. Each link is like 5-6mm long so your either a little tight or a little loose. But I like it.

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
I've got about a dozen Moko silicone bands, a Moko milanese loop, and one Kartice nylon band. I like them every bit as much as the Apple bands. Other than the black/gray Nike band, the only band I really want is a leather band, but I haven't seen a 3rd party offering that I want yet.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
I've dipped my toe into the 3rd-party market, and am heading for very slightly deeper water. I got a couple of silicone bands that look like Apple bands until you look closely. They have a ridge from the molding process that runs around the edge of the band that Apple's don't. It bugs me, even though the price was much better.

I've got some other bands on the way, and I'll post pics and comments as they get here. I don't want to pay Apple prices but the quality of their bands is beyond dispute as far as I'm concerned, especially in the 'elegant' or 'refined' department. To get a good looking band in that tier means spending more than the $10-20-40 range. So I'm more picky and less likely to drop $79-80 on a whim. But there's at least one possible entry in the leather band, but it's sold out for the time being. Whether or not I get any others, I'll have to get an Apple Classic Buckle.

StraightlineBoy

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
This subject causes me great conflict. I want the Apple quality but as ever the prices are hard to swallow. You think you've found the perfect 3rd party band but there's always at least one review that says it's badly made junk.
I think I might treat myself to one Apple band for Christmas but that's it. I can at least try them in store. I'd like the black link band but that costs more than the watch so it's a non starter. Maybe a black leather band or the black Milanese I'd guess

rangerdeyo

Trusted Member
Nov 24, 2016
Visit site
I have 4 Apple bands (2 sport, one nylon and a milanese) and 4 3rd party bands (one silicone, one leather and 2 NATO style) and love them all. In fact, i have a few more on the way for Christmas. The leather band is my normal day to day for work since its more professional looking. The other bands switch off based on activity and what I'm wearing, lol.

Lory Gil

Jan 20, 2016
Visit site
I've had a lot of success with third-party Apple Watch bands. I am currently wearing a leather strap from Mkeke that I've had for over a year. It works perfectly. The lugs fit and connect properly to the watch casing. I bought a third-party Milanese loop for my mom that she loves. She wears it all of the time. My suggestion is to look for user reviews of these watch bands. If a lot of people complain that the quality is poor, you may want to avoid buying from that company. Don't be afraid to purchase unofficial watch bands, though. Some of them are gorgeous and cost a third of the price!

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
If Apple had priced the Classic Buckle $50 less, I'd own one by now. As it is, I waffle. So far I'm batting .500 in third-party bands. My latest Nike knock-off is pretty decent. It's thinner than the Real Deal, but if you didn't know what that was like, this one could easily pass. And for $15, I'm happy.

I don't want to wear any band that has me saying "but it was only...". So far I haven't seen anything except the Herm?s that matches Apple's quality in leather. Several Sport bands seem ok. I just don't want a band that reminds me "hey, remember you only paid..." That's basically apologizing to myself for a choice I made. Someone I know was wearing some sunglasses that from a distance looked like Wayfarers. When I got in speaking range, they obviously weren't. "Who makes those?" "Oh, they're Ray-Bans." "Uh, no." "Ok, they're Bay-Rans, but they look just like Ray-Bans and were only ten bucks!" As long as he's happy. But not on my face.

So bands don't have to be Apple bands, but they have to look good for what they are and not cost a limb or two.

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I've got about a dozen Moko silicone bands, a Moko milanese loop, and one Kartice nylon band. I like them every bit as much as the Apple bands. Other than the black/gray Nike band, the only band I really want is a leather band, but I haven't seen a 3rd party offering that I want yet.

You should check out Pad & Quill. I have one of their leather bands. VERY good. Highly recommended.

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
You should check out Pad & Quill. I have one of their leather bands. VERY good. Highly recommended.

They do make handsome products. I especially like their classic leather band and would be inclined to buy one if it came in black. And speaking of black, I am most drawn to Apple's classic buckle black but won't buy it because it only comes with stainless steel lugs and I have a space black SS.

Jeroen7

Sep 9, 2015
Visit site
They do make handsome products. I especially like their classic leather band and would be inclined to buy one if it came in black. And speaking of black, I am most drawn to Apple's classic buckle black but won't buy it because it only comes with stainless steel lugs and I have a space black SS.

You can replace the lugs pretty easily! Mikah made a guide on it, should be on the site somewhere.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
I am most drawn to Apple's classic buckle
I hear ya! For me it's the Brown to go with my Gold Aluminum and Sport. But even if I change the lugs to match them, the buckle bits are still stainless. Great for a black band to go with my AWSS, but not the Gold.

Of course since it's on the other side of my wrist, I could try the out of sight, out of mine principle.

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
You can replace the lugs pretty easily! Mikah made a guide on it, should be on the site somewhere.

Thanks for the suggestion. I read that article when he first published it and re-read it just now. I'm just not confident that I can perform the task he describes (motor skill problems with right hand). Plus, the reader comments about stripped screws are disconcerting.

I'm going to keep my eye on Pad & Quill because the classic leather band would be my first choice if they start making it in black.

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Have you or would you ever consider buying a third party band/strap for your Apple Watch? Or do you stick to the Apple branded and sold ones? I mean, I love the look (and feel) of all Apple offerings, but for the price, seems to me you can't go long with a lot of the third party options!

I've tried both, and have been pleased with all of my purchases.

So...I ordered a couple on Amazon to compare to the real deal. A moko sport band--same color as the real one I ordered--and a magnetic leather one. I returned the knockoffs the same day I got them. While the Moko one felt the same, the finish was not even close. It just seemed cheap in the metal areas, and sloppy.

I did go to the Apple store to look at the Nylon ones and the leather/metal options and none of them really wow me, at least not enough to spend the money. The one I kept and like is the midnight sport band, and I am going to put that on when I set up. But until they put out a navy leather strap I like, meh.

I haven't lost enough weight to earn an Hermes band yet.

StraightlineBoy

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
I was in the Apple Store at the weekend and was all set to buy a black leather strap only to find that they only do them with silver bits. My Nike watch has a dark grey body so silver bits connecting to the strap are going to look terrible aren't they? Needs to either match the watch body or be black I'd say.

And before anyone suggests a knock-off, I'm sticking to Apple straps (or strap as I've still only got the one that the watch came with, shocking I know!!!!)

afctee

Distinguished
May 22, 2016
Visit site
LOL at the last statement :)

I was in the Apple Store at the weekend and was all set to buy a black leather strap only to find that they only do them with silver bits. My Nike watch has a dark grey body so silver bits connecting to the strap are going to look terrible aren't they? Needs to either match the watch body or be black I'd say.

And before anyone suggests a knock-off, I'm sticking to Apple straps (or strap as I've still only got the one that the watch came with, shocking I know!!!!)

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW