• After more than 15 years covering everything Apple, it’s with a heavy heart we announce that we will no longer be publishing new content on iMore and the iMore forums will be closing as of November 1st, 2024.

Sync Apple Watch With Fitbit

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
I was wondering if there's a way to sync Apple Watch activity with the Fitbit app, similar to the way Power Sync syncs my Fitbit activity with the Apple Health app. I am interested in an Apple Watch, but use Fitbit for all of my fitness tracking. Any help would be appreciated!

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
Unfortunately, there isn't. There used to be sync apps that would do what you want, but Fitbit changed their app so that the sync wouldn't work. Can't blame Fitbit - why buy a Fitbit if an Apple Watch will create Fitbit data. So, now if you want to use the Fitbit app you have two options. First, although the Apple watch won't provide data to the Fitbit app, your iPhone will. Just download the Fitbit app and tell it to use the iPhone as the input device. The upside with this option is that it's free - you already own the phone. The downside is that you must always have the phone with you so its pedometer is feeding data to the Fitbit app. I used this option for a long time and didn't mind too much because I needed the iPhone's GPS for measuring running distances. The second option is to buy a Fitbit. A surprising number of Apple watch owners also own Fitbits because they don't want to become disconnected from their Fitbit "friends." I just bought a Fitbit Flex 2 because I wanted to run with my new Apple watch (Nike+ Series 2) but without my phone. So far I'm loving it because I really didn't like running with the phone and the Flex 2 is so small you forget you're wearing it.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
Unfortunately, there isn't. There used to be sync apps that would do what you want, but Fitbit changed their app so that the sync wouldn't work. Can't blame Fitbit - why buy a Fitbit if an Apple Watch will create Fitbit data. So, now if you want to use the Fitbit app you have two options. First, although the Apple watch won't provide data to the Fitbit app, your iPhone will. Just download the Fitbit app and tell it to use the iPhone as the input device. The upside with this option is that it's free - you already own the phone. The downside is that you must always have the phone with you so its pedometer is feeding data to the Fitbit app. I used this option for a long time and didn't mind too much because I needed the iPhone's GPS for measuring running distances. The second option is to buy a Fitbit. A surprising number of Apple watch owners also own Fitbits because they don't want to become disconnected from their Fitbit "friends." I just bought a Fitbit Flex 2 because I wanted to run with my new Apple watch (Nike+ Series 2) but without my phone. So far I'm loving it because I really didn't like running with the phone and the Flex 2 is so small you forget you're wearing it.

Unfortunately I don't always have my phone on me during the day but almost always have a watch on. So are you saying apps like Sync Silver don't work? There's a bunch to go from Fitbit to Health, but I haven't found any that goes from Health to Fitbit. I like Fitbit's web based interface, and Health doesn't have anything like it.

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
Right. Sync Solver will put Fitbit data into Health but not the reverse. If you don't carry your iPhone during the day, your best bet is an inexpensive Fitbit. The Flex 2 is great. It's tiny, waterproof, and really you need if you have an Apple Watch.

Mountaineerfan

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
There are two sync solvers, red and blue. I have the blue one loaded and it syncs my apple watch data to Fitbit. Fitbit allows that, however it will only use the steps counted by your phone for challenges with friends.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
There are two sync solvers, red and blue. I have the blue one loaded and it syncs my apple watch data to Fitbit. Fitbit allows that, however it will only use the steps counted by your phone for challenges with friends.

Just to make sure I understand, the blue one will put my steps into Fitbit, but they won't count for challenges? Does it count floors as well?

Nice screen name BTW...did you go to WVU, or are you from WV? I'm a WVU Alumni myself.

newk

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I agree with most of the comments here, there basically isn't a good option right now to do this. Natively, the Health app can direct some data to the Fitbit. To add on top of that, the Apple watch definitely doesn't track as much detail as the Fitbit does. There are no native sleep apps on the Apple Watch, though there are 3rd party apps. So I think if you are really set on fitness tracking, then Fitbit is still the best option right now.

A better question to ask is, how much quantification do you really want? Fitbit gives you the most data and breaks it down for you. Apple Watch can track a variety of exercises and the Health app can break that down to a certain extent. I find that the Apple watch is fine for what I need it for, which is that the smart watch functions out weigh the fitness tracking abilities.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
I agree with most of the comments here, there basically isn't a good option right now to do this. Natively, the Health app can direct some data to the Fitbit. To add on top of that, the Apple watch definitely doesn't track as much detail as the Fitbit does. There are no native sleep apps on the Apple Watch, though there are 3rd party apps. So I think if you are really set on fitness tracking, then Fitbit is still the best option right now.

A better question to ask is, how much quantification do you really want? Fitbit gives you the most data and breaks it down for you. Apple Watch can track a variety of exercises and the Health app can break that down to a certain extent. I find that the Apple watch is fine for what I need it for, which is that the smart watch functions out weigh the fitness tracking abilities.

I just learned that the Apple Watch doesn't could flights of stairs that are climbed.
What I'm looking for is to get my daily steps, distance, and heart rate into Fitbit so I can view my progress week over week.

What about getting the data from Apple Health to Garmin Connect?

dianahk

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Garmin Connect and Health do sync and communicate well with one another. I do find the Garmin app a bit cumbersome, but they are slowly improving it. Strava will send to Health, but not take workouts from Health.

Mountaineerfan

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
Thanks! I'm from WV. Lots of family ties to WVU!
It does not track floors. The steps for challenges come from your phone (set up MobileTrack).

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
Thanks! I'm from WV. Lots of family ties to WVU!
It does not track floors. The steps for challenges come from your phone (set up MobileTrack).

Awesome, what part of WV?
That sucks about not tracking floors, and as far as challenges, that's not something I use my Fitbit for. But I'm a huge fan of their app and web interface.

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site

Thanks for clarifying. When I learned the sync solver wouldn't provide data that could be used for the challenges, I interpreted that in my mind as it just wouldn't port data at all.

Casey B1

May 11, 2022
Visit site
Re: Sync Apple Watch With Fitbit I’m sorry, how can I sync Fitbit data w apple health?

Wait how can you sync Fitbit data w apple health??

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Re: Sync Apple Watch With Fitbit I’m sorry, how can I sync Fitbit data w apple health?

Wait how can you sync Fitbit data w apple health??

I don’t think you can synchronize it. I know that you can export your Fitbit data to apple health.

Don’t know if that’s what you were looking for.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
poplolzz