Series 1 vs 2--is the extra $120 worth it?

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I got the Series 1 from target the other day (it's shipped I don't have yet), and I saw there's 15% off tomorrow and Monday which would bring the 2 down to like $313 or something similar. Is it worth that extra ~$120 for the 2 for the supposed battery improvements, water resistance and gps (that I don't think i need other than 911...)

This is my first Apple Watch and I figure a new one isn't that far off given they were trying to get cellular in this one and ran out of time. I'm skipping stainless in this purchase bec I would probably spend that much on one with all the bells.

i6splusguy

Jun 14, 2016
Visit site
Series 2 has waterproof ability and gps thats the only difference with this and the series 1. I have the series 1 since it was more affordable and i didnt need gps or waterproofing.

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
If you're not a runner or a swimmer, AW1 is the sweet spot. Why pay for GPS and waterproofing that you won't use?

This is my first Apple Watch and I figure a new one isn't that far off given they were trying to get cellular in this one and ran out of time.

I don't think Apple has any intention to put cellular in the AW. IMO, until there's a huge leap in battery technology, that feature isn't practical.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
Series 2 has waterproof ability and gps thats the only difference with this and the series 1.

She covered that in her post.

If you're not a runner or a swimmer, AW1 is the sweet spot. Why pay for GPS and waterproofing that you won't use?

I agree completely. And unless you turn out to be a very heavy user of the Watch, the battery life of the AWS1 should easily get you through the day. The S2 does have a bigger battery but that's to offset the use of GPS. The 42mm S1 will have better battery life than the 38mm S1. Some people use work out a lot have mentioned having to charge the 38mm Watch midway to get through the day. I think the S1 is a solid option for non-runners and people who won't be swimming.

I don't think Apple has any intention to put cellular in the AW. IMO, until there's a huge leap in battery technology, that feature isn't practical.

Again I agree. Cellular radios would suck the battery inside out in short order. I think Apple sees the Watch as an extension/accessory to the phone and not a replacement, at this time.

Sending an SOS, text, and even making a call, without the phone, would be great. Another cellphone bill wouldn't. Apple may do that IF there's that leap in battery tech.

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I attempted and failed to get an S2 at Target today on sale in aluminum and ended up with steel but I am going to take it back I think. Had I gotten the 2 as a deal I would've kept that I think but I think you've done a good job explaining the difference between the models. I don't swim, and I don't expect I'll be a heavy user. I just want to not have to pull my phone out as much and drive my husband nuts as badly, plus I'd like more activity tracking that's better than my Fitbit has been doing.

Thanks!

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
I just want to not have to pull my phone out as much and drive my husband nuts as badly

The Series 1 will work well for that. And when you're on your home or other trusted network with good WiFi, your phone can be in another room and you can still use your watch for getting notifications, reminders, taking calls, etc. without having to chase down your phone in a hurry. Very handy.

There may still be deals to be had on an S2 Aluminum. Cyber Monday is coming up so you may want to check around.

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
My main concern is that my phone is RARELY on wifi. Like, almost never. We have such a massive data plan that I almost never use wifi unless forced.

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
My main concern is that my phone is RARELY on wifi. Like, almost never. We have such a massive data plan that I almost never use wifi unless forced.

You may have misinterpreted Mac Guy. You don't have to have wifi to get notifications, reminders, take calls, etc. All that will work just find with cell data.

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Ok just so long as the Watch still gets all that stuff with my phone not on wifi, and I'm assuming I need to leave my Watch wifi on for it to get that stuff? Or is that via bt? Which I also literally never turn on til I'm actively using and then immediately turn back off.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
Ok just so long as the Watch still gets all that stuff with my phone not on wifi,
It will.

and I'm assuming I need to leave my Watch wifi on for it to get that stuff? Or is that via bt?

It uses both, alternatively, as needed.The default, if the phone and Watch are close enough is to use BT. If not it'll use WiFi if there's a compatible, trusted network available. With the Watch, they're always on unless it's put in Airplane Mode.

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site
I got the Series 1 from target the other day (it's shipped I don't have yet), and I saw there's 15% off tomorrow and Monday which would bring the 2 down to like $313 or something similar. Is it worth that extra ~$120 for the 2 for the supposed battery improvements, water resistance and gps (that I don't think i need other than 911...)

This is my first Apple Watch and I figure a new one isn't that far off given they were trying to get cellular in this one and ran out of time. I'm skipping stainless in this purchase bec I would probably spend that much on one with all the bells.

As others have said, Series 2 offers water resistance. So if you like swimming and running (in the rain) then it might be worth it. Otherwise, you still getting a great watch. (Series 1)

tsparks1

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
I strongly considered the Series 2 before buying the S1 but in my case I couldn't justify the extra cost, but that's just me. I don't go anywhere without my phone negating the need for self contained GPS and the S1 is sufficiently water resistant for my needs, I have always showered in my Apple watches and that's all the water resistance I need.

KenV54

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
No one has mentioned anything about the reported brightness difference between S1 and S2, a factor of 2+ from what I've read. If true, is that a sufficient reason to spend the extra money on an S2 watch?

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
I have Apple Watches and an Apple Watch S2. The S2 is only very slightly brighter than the AW. I was disappointed. It may be brighter in the dark, but that's not where I need to see the extra brightness.

Snoweagle

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site
If you're not a runner or a swimmer, AW1 is the sweet spot. Why pay for GPS and waterproofing that you won't use

I strongly second this sentence. Initially I also wanted to get Series 2 but the GPS wasn't for what I intended to, and I do not swim with any watches, hence dropped it and stayed with my current first gen.

Never been happier! :)

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
I strongly second this sentence. Initially I also wanted to get Series 2 but the GPS wasn't for what I intended to, and I do not swim with any watches, hence dropped it and stayed with my current first gen.

Never been happier! :)

There are 3 Apple Watch models. The original Apple Watch, the newer Series 1 and Series 2. Both the Series 1 and 2 have the newer dual core processor: The Series 1 has the Apple S1P processor, the Apple Series 2 has the Apple S2 processor.

Snoweagle

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site
There are 3 Apple Watch models. The original Apple Watch, the newer Series 1 and Series 2. Both the Series 1 and 2 have the newer dual core processor: The Series 1 has the Apple S1P processor, the Apple Series 2 has the Apple S2 processor.

Yeah that I know and I have the first gen original. In fact, original is S1 single-core, Series 1 is dual-core S1P and Series 2 is dual-core S2. I've tried the Series 2 but the difference is speed isn't phenomenal. For now I can still make do with my first gen.

KenV54

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
Thanks, everyone, for the clarifications. Sounds as though the Series 1 would be enough unless you need the GPS and extra waterproofing.

Now the big question: whether to retire my Pebble Time in favor of the S1. Pebble, of course, is in some sort of limbo, with its future yet to be determined by FitBit. I was using it with a BlackBerry Passport before I got my iPhone 7, but the Pebble works well with the IPhone, has the always on watch face and the e-paper screen with great battery life.

Anyone here migrate from Pebble to the Apple Watch?

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
Anyone here migrate from Pebble to the Apple Watch?
Me.

I have a Gen 1 Pebble, and used it until I got an Apple Watch Sport on Day One. The Pebble went into a drawer and only sees the light of day when I open the drawer for something else.

When the rumors started showing up about the Watch, I couldn't bare the wait and got the Pebble, on sale. There were no other versions at the time, but some others may have been announced.

Gen 1 Pebble didn't do much, and all it needed to do for me was provide notifications. It was a chore to use. I had to drill down and up to navigate, pressing one button to get a category and another to drill down in that category. It was cool for a few days, but I new Apple's implementation would be better for me. And so it was.

I assume the latest/last Pebbles are more sophisticated and provide a better user experience. But if I were to buy a smartwatch now, for the first time, it would be an Apple Watch Series 1. Even an Apple Watch (original) at a good price, could be a really good, satisfactory deal.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73