Screen popped off watch series 0

semperidem

Oct 28, 2016
Visit site
I was on a road trip today, and the screen of my Apple Watch popped off. It's a stainless steel original model from about August of 2015. I have AppleCare and went to the store to try to get a replacement, but I was short on time so I'll have to go another time. Right now it seems to be secure, but I managed to get it back like this for an hour before and it popped off again. Has anyone else experienced this? Hoping it sticks this time.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I was on a road trip today, and the screen of my Apple Watch popped off. It's a stainless steel original model from about August of 2015. I have AppleCare and went to the store to try to get a replacement, but I was short on time so I'll have to go another time. Right now it seems to be secure, but I managed to get it back like this for an hour before and it popped off again. Has anyone else experienced this? Hoping it sticks this time.

Sorry to hear! I haven't had an issue with my screen popping off and I would venture to say it isn't a common problem. I'm on these forums almost every day and this is the first I'm hearing about a Watch screen coming off.

semperidem

Oct 28, 2016
Visit site
I was able to get it to stick back on for now, but I'm worried it wil happen again. I'll likely take a trip to the apple store this week and see if I can get it exchanged.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
He said he scheduled an appointment so I'm guessing it's with an Apple Genius. I don't believe it gets more reputable than that.

semperidem

Oct 28, 2016
Visit site
It was at the genius bar, and they sent it out to the depot for repair. Should have it or a replacement by early next week, but for now I feel naked.

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
It was at the genius bar, and they sent it out to the depot for repair. Should have it or a replacement by early next week, but for now I feel naked.

What?? They didn't just replace it?? Boo! I would not be happy with that outcome but maybe that's the best they'll do now for an original series.

semperidem

Oct 28, 2016
Visit site
They explained it to me as policy for all the watches. They always send out to the depot for repair rather than a straight replacement. I wish I could have had the latter, but I'm glad they are at least willing to ship it to my house rather than back to the store, so I don't have to feel like a consumerist at the mall. Instead, I can be blissfully unaware of my consumerism at home!

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
I think as far as the public is concerned, Apple does have a policy that generally applies to all Watches.

With certain problems Apple may put out a notice that some defects will merit immediate replacement, not repair.

Apple Genii have always had great latitude in repair/replacing products. This has lead to a lot of confusing and consternation when someone gets a free outside of warranty repair or replacement and someone else doesn't.

semper, did you make a note of your serial number (oh, it's probably on the box)? It may be that you get a Watch back (new or refurb?) or your Watch returned with a repaired screen.

semperidem

Oct 28, 2016
Visit site
The serial number is on the work authorization, so I will be able to compare serial numbers to see what if it's the same device. They seemed to know the cause of the issue (seal failure) but not the exact course of action the repair depot would choose. I'll be sure to return with some fun info about the repair! Hopefully that will be sooner rather than later. I miss my watch :(

semperidem

Oct 28, 2016
Visit site
Checking back in for anyone interested. It was a replacement watch rather than a repair. It came in a very nice white, shallow square box with the WATCH logo embossed on it. I'm rather glad that it was replaced mostly because it means I don't have to polish the stainless steal to get the tiny scratches off!

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
Congratulations on the 'new' Watch! Even though a AWSS may be scratch free, an occasional light polishing (not just wiping) brings back a luster that really shows off the Watch without being flashy.

semperidem

Oct 28, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the tip! I have some pre moistened polishing wipes that I use for the watch occasionally. I think I might try to do it a bit more frequently with this watch (I did it maybe 3 times in the 16 months I had the other watch) to maintain the shine

George Bussey

Dec 28, 2016
Visit site
Re: Screen popped off watch series 0

This happened THREE times with me. Each time Apple replaced for free under my AppleCare coverage - and each time nobody could provide any explanation. My best guess - a combo of factors: I ride a road bike over less than totally smooth roads up to 300 miles a month. I live in a warm climate year-round with very direct sun. I sweat a lot while riding. So I think heat plus ambient moisture plus high high frequency, ongoing vibrations just undid the glue.

James Dmore

Jun 29, 2017
Visit site
I was devastated when my screen popped up, Apple of coz tried to get more money off me...
Anyways I bought an adhesive replacement sticker for mine on eBay. The sticker came with a free tool also Awesome!!!

Snoweagle

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site
Mine happened this morning after charging on my Series 2, very disappointed. I've booked a Genius Bar appointment for tomorrow.