Space black or stainless steel????

arc3484

May 25, 2016
Visit site
I have to make a final decision tomorrow, which Watch am I going to keep. I love how the jet black blends with the dark screen on the space black, but SS looks more traditional and was the color I like when they announced Apple Watch in 2014. I'm stuck, anyone have any long term pics of their Apple Watch? How has the DLC coating held up on space black?

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
e8be1621f4885fee329f35c8fde7e8f2.jpg

f23ce47390d3e83b9989a25937449f15.jpg

Holding up great. No scratches or discoloration to speak of. Oh yeah, it matches my Jet Black iPhone perfectly

jmerrey

Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
Keep the black and sell me the stainless steel. Or, keep the stainless steel and sell me the black. Your choice ;)

jaleesag88

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
I'm debating on exchanging my space black for the silver aluminum. Today is my last day to exchange and I don't know what to do either. I like the way it looks, but a couple scratches have shown up on the body already and I feel it would be less noticeable on the silver...

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
but a couple scratches have shown up on the body already

Is it still returnable once scratched? As to SB vs Al, the matte finish of the aluminum Watches seems to me to be better/higher than that of polished Watches. Their high reflectivity shows scratches more readily. The difference in hardness of the SB finish over SS is a question. If it's more resistant to scratching, great.

I don't think that the Silver Aluminum Watches will hide scratches particularly well. Scratches will probably manifest themselves as shiny streaks on a matte surface. I don't know about SA in comparison with SB, but I think the matte finish resists scratches better.

jaleesag88

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
Is it still returnable once scratched? As to SB vs Al, the matte finish of the aluminum Watches seems to me to be better/higher than that of polished Watches. Their high reflectivity shows scratches more readily. The difference in hardness of the SB finish over SS is a question. If it's more resistant to scratching, great.

I don't think that the Silver Aluminum Watches will hide scratches particularly well. Scratches will probably manifest themselves as shiny streaks on a matte surface. I don't know about SA in comparison with SB, but I think the matte finish resists scratches better.

I'm not sure if it will be. I don't know how picky Best Buy is with their returned items. I just notice them because they hit the light just right and I'm bored at work so I'm looking for them.

jaleesag88

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site

Just a FYI I went to Best Buy and even pointed out the scratches. They said it's normal wear and tear. I wasn't sure how it would turn out! But I walked out with the last 42mm silver/volt green Nike+ Watch. Not gonna lie....kind of excited lol.

RobtRoma

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
I've had a Space Gray watch for a year+. I like the dark watch but kind of wish I had gone for a silver model. Every once in a while I will put as silver case on it.

DLieSaS

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site
Space Black is really cool – but it doesn't work with as many bands as the standard steel version (unless you don't care about non-matching lugs). That's why I didn't go for it… ��

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
What I'd like to know is how you folks with the SS space black are scratching them?!? Mine is almost 1.5 years old and does not have a scratch so I'm just wondering what it would take.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
What I'd like to know is how you folks with the SS space black are scratching them?!? Mine is almost 1.5 years old and does not have a scratch so I'm just wondering what it would take.

Interesting, because I'm wondering the same thing. Every night (almost) I wipe mine down with a micro fiber cloth and have yet to find a scratch.

tech_fan

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Tough decision. I had the original SS and decided to buy the SB Apple Watch 2. Went back and forth between the 2 watches. Even to the point if of taking pics side by side of the watches and do the comparison. Also at that time I had the 6s plus in gold. In the end I wound up returning the SB and went with the SS. The reasons were because the SS went with everything. I didn't think the SB did.

Now I had the Matte black iPhone 7 plus. Didn't think I would like the matte black as much as I have. Love the way the screen blends in with the bezel. So I ordered the SB once again. Now BB is offering 18 months of no interest. At the time they were only offering 6 months.

One thing I did like about the SB is with the right band the colors will pop. You don't get that with the SS. For example the red sports band or the green band makes it pop. Also the arthacite and orange nylon apple band will make the Watch pop too.

arc3484

May 25, 2016
Visit site

I have no clue on mine. It was a nick like a spec of dust that wouldn't wipe off. It was into the DLC coating otherwise if it would of happen to the SS, it could have been sanded with 2000 grit and polished out. I still think the space black looks the best. I'm wondering if I should just stick with the series 2 space grey instead of gen 1 SS. Louder speaker and faster processor might out weigh the SS and sapphire glass.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro